How much is too much?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

carole2k

New
Reaction score
My DD is 10 and has been on Keppra for three years. She is currently on 3500 mg a day. Every time she has a seizure they up her medication. At what point do I suggest a different drug? She is going through puberty so I am expecting the seizures to increase but I think her dosage is very high already. We see the neuro in two weeks.

Thanks!

Keppra maximum dosage is listed as 3000mg per day, so you're right to be concerned. While there are folks who fall both above and below the specified dosage range for any given med, it sounds like your daughter may have maxed out what Keppra can do for her. Is she experiencing any side effects? Definitely bring up this and any other concerns when you see the neurologist.

Just the typical side affects. Anxiety, irritability, stomach aches, etc. The anxiety is overwhelming at times. The simplest of situations can send her into a full on panic attack.

Just the typical side affects. Anxiety, irritability, stomach aches, etc. The anxiety is overwhelming at times. The simplest of situations can send her into a full on panic attack.

I was on KeppraXR for about 2 yrs and had the same side effects which are all normal when taking any form of Keppra. My dr suggested that I take 100mg Vitamin B twice daily to help with the moody-ness.

Back
Top Bottom