How often does your neurologist want to see you?

How often does your neuro want to see you?

• every 1-3 months

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • every 4-6 months

Votes: 54 35.8%
  • every 7-12 months

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • every 12-18 months

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • doesn't see you regularly

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Only when there's trouble or a specific reason

Votes: 13 8.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My epileptologist is retiring and he's acting like a butthole. If he didn't retire I would tell him to. lol He's been my doc for 16 years. It's like a major break up. He watch Alex be born. He watch me go through dv. He watch me get a wierd tumor in my brain. He knows all of my family. But its time for him to take some time off.

once every 3 months or so, but weird things happen every so often, and bump it up

Since Rosie became an adult patient? Once. Since then it's been the hens teeth world of trying to get an appointment with the E nurse.

About every three months as we try to figure out what's really going on with me and my seizures. She's also hesitant to change my meds or fiddle with them. Is that pretty common with any neurologist?

I would love to get to 6 months+ but haven't gotten past the three month marker. I even bumped up my latest appointment to sooner because I'm just sick and tired of this.

With my last brain surgery being in the US about 10 years and until recently, I have not had bad seizures, my neurologist had only wanted to be seeing me when sent by my personal doctor. BUT now with seizures jumping back up to 3-5 per week, my neurologist doesn't need me going to family doc first. I am back to 1-3 months going back to seeing him after each visit, all depending on just how seizures are going...

I must admitt though,since i have had my E nurse (Around a year or so now).I just have to phone her,and she gets me in there pretty quick.Although i am grateful,i wish the same could be said about my Nuerologist.But sometimes you have to bite the bullet and wait.It,s not their fault but the fault off the NHS,their cutbacks and the like.

Last edited:
It depends on how I'm doing on how often he wants to see me.

I saw him this month and since I started Onfi he wants see me again next month.

It's usually every 2-4 months he wants to see me.

If I start up having a lot of seizures he'll see me right away.

Mine just automatically thought Id want surgery since I was 46 with young kids and have had a hard time coping.But the meds do okay and Im satisfied for now.Mine turned a little cool when I didnt want surgery,I go to clkeveland clinic and they do alot of that.Im not interested yet.

Why would they want to do surgery if your meds are working? Money!! They make a lot of money doing surgery. That is why they turned cool when you turned it down.

There can be complication with surgery. I have said no to the VNS and back surgery. I do not like any kind of surgery. The VNS, if it quits working, they cannot take it out. You are left with a piece of metal that stays there.

I was 6 when I was diagnosed. I raised my children and I have grandchildren. I am 70 years old now and my medicines work just fine. I never needed brain surgery.

In order to get my licence back i have to see my doctor 2x/yr.

I asked the doc, do i really have to see you face to face, can we communicate through emails? He said email is fine. So i give him an update on my seizure activities 2x/yr. If i have any questions, i'll email him. The docs in my area are really great in answering emails.

Cheers.

:piano: :pop:

I did not that anywhere in the Bay Area or anywhere in CA that you could email a doctor. It would be a whole lot easier. :cheers:

All i know is i can email any doctors i've seen at the hospital. Well the HMO i'm in does allow that. Not sure about other health care providers.

Cheers

I am on MediCare and an HMO. My husband kept paying for his insurance when he retired. We have good insurance.

My doctor's want to see me about 3 times a year.

In order to get my licence back i have to see my doctor 2x/yr.

I asked the doc, do i really have to see you face to face, can we communicate through emails? He said email is fine. So i give him an update on my seizure activities 2x/yr. If i have any questions, i'll email him. The docs in my area are really great in answering emails.

Cheers.

I see a neurologist at an epilepsy clinic which is at the hospital where I had my surgery. I live in a country town & the epilepsy clinic which is in the city is 3 hours drive from me.
I only speak to my neurologist when I see him at the epilepsy clinic for my follow up appts but I have an epilepsy nurse & neuropsyh who work along side my neurologist. I correspond with the epilepsy nurse & neuropsych through email. I usually just update them on my progress but if I have any questions or concerns they will speak to my neurologist & get back to me as soon as they've spoken to him.

Every 6 months has been the standard.

When I was switching meds, then it would be every 3 months.

Now that I have kidney problems, the doctors want to see me every 3 months.

Before, it was every 2 months.

My new epileptologist sees me every 6 weeks. The past several visits (including the EMU stay for a week) I've had my meds titrated up. I'm now on max doses of Keppra and Lamictal. Doc says if the medication doesn't work, I'll be getting a VNS.

Back
Top Bottom