How to Avoid Food Triggered Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I found an interesting article on avoiding food triggered seizures. We've already restricted all of these items in my son's diet. The most recent item we eliminated was soy. I'm also including the link to a second article that lists several food-related causes for epilepsy and seizures.

How to Avoid Food Triggered Seizures

Epilepsy and Seizures by Dr. Lawrence Wilson, M.D.

The more I read and research, the more convinced I become that everyone can benefit from adjusting their diet.

It is hard to tell who wrote that article.
I agree it is a good one.

Interesting that the Epilepsy Center that is noted at the bottom is the hospital near me:

http://www.epipro.com/

I remember reading the second article in my early stages of research, and it was one that confirmed what Dogtor John was explaining to me.

Good stuff

Quite true. If America stepped away from fast food and processed food, our obesity rate would drop.

You know I read so much on here about our diets, but I have a concern about remembering all these rules. My short term memory in the past year has really taken a nose dive. Do you have a list you keep with you or does someone else help you with your food choices.

If you're struggling to remember all the "rules", then make a list of what you shouldn't eat after reading through articles like these. Carry this with you when you shop.

Another option would be to make a list of what you "can and should" be eating and carry this with you when you shop. I prefer this option because it's more optimistic in my opinion

I keep it simple and only eat foods that I prepare at home from fresh ingredients. I don't buy anything in a box, can, jar, bottle, bag, etc. The only exception to that rule is organic raisins and frozen fruits or veggies as long as there are no preservatives, additives, or flavorings (meaning the only ingredient on the list is the fruit or vegetable that I am shopping for). I don't buy or eat any meat or dairy products. I spend most of my time in the produce section of the markets.

When I'm shopping, my one rule for food is, if I can't make or grow it myself on a farm, don't buy it. For example, you've never heard of picking bread off a tree or bush, or picking pies or cakes or cookies off a plant. But, you can theoretically grow all the ingredients to make them from scratch. So instead of premade desserts and stuff, I make them from scratch. That also means we never buy premade foods like pizzas or lasagnas either. Again, I can make them from scratch. It may be more work, but I'd rather work harder and keep my family fit. :)

PS: It may take a bit of time, but it helps in the longrun. Try this....if you plant a garden, Can as much of the vegetables that you can't eat immediately, make homemade pasta sauces or the base for chili and can it, and if you have friends with fruit trees you can can the fruit so that during the winter all you have to do is pull the fruit out of the cupboard and make it into a pie. Yes, it will take time, but it might be a fun way to spend a Saturday or Sunday cooking in the kitchen with your family. I know my 7 year old loves working with me in the kitchen...he's always at my elbow. :) And it's a good time to tell stories and make memories. Oh, and remember, you can freeze bread and cookie dough too!

Last edited:
Wow....sounds like a lot of work. With the limited use of my arm, cooking is a bit tricky....canning would not be even a possiblity! When my youngest was a child, I had to spend some much time in grocery reading labels because of his food allegeries. Funny, I didn't mind doing it for him, but not up to investing that time for me!
I know my triggers are stress, not getting enough sleeping and fluoresant lights. I really try to limit my time at the store. I think I will skip the diet thing, at least since things are going pretty well working with my known triggers!
I know...I am lazy! Thanks for the info

I am in some ways similar to Skilly's way of thinking, we mostly only buy fresh produce and have home cooked meals, rather then out of the jar meals. The only time when we don't is when I work late, then its a microwave meal. We never buy cakes or cookies etc. I eat fresh fruit during the day at work, my friends laugh at me for doing so, but they are all falling down like flies around me with various different colds and stomach bugs, I have been coughed and spluttered over and yet I haven't caught anything for over a year (knock on wood)and I think is to do with all the fruit and juice I consume during the day.

Ok...jg...here's an easier way to shop. Just buy what's on the outside walls of the supermarket. :) If you look at all the grocery stores, they pretty much all follow the smae floorplan..meat along the back wall, as well as dairy and eggs, juices along another wall, and veggies and fruits along another wall. Most of the foods in the aisles are prepackeged. So just stay out of the aisles and you'll already be eating better. :)

Thanks for the tips, I probably should have mentioned my other "handicaps"
I do a lot of prepackaged foods because of my limited ability to cook....cereal is my favorite meal! My left arm had 10 surgeries and only has 25% use, plus I have limited amount of skin/feeling in the arm. I have to be very careful about cooking, my ortho doc is concerned about burning myself and not feeling it and with my history of infections, a simple cut or burn could be deadly for me. (With the addition of the seizures, he is really worried about me in the kitchen!) In addition, since I lost most of the connective tissue in the arm, my main arterty stick out like a pulsing lump and I have to be careful as the nerves are dead in that area and doc said it that got injured, I would bleed out. Plus my son that lives with me has a much different work schedule than me and I don't ususally cook unless he is home to supervise. I usually only really cook once or twice a week.
But I could add more fruits that don't have to be cut.

Eating more fresh fruit like grapes, bananas, clementines, etc would probably help. You could always keep fresh veggies around to nibble on as well, such as baby carrots or cherry tomatoes. Anything fresh that would replace processed convenience snacks would be a benefit to you.

Back
Top Bottom