How To Be Really Alive!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Something for relaxation!

Every summer as a child I would go to my grandparents farm.

Because I was in Boy Scouts I always loved to walk down to the tank and just lay in the fields and listen to the birds and watch our cows and sheep roam the land!

Also we would take walks in the back of our farm everyday

But the best time I ever had in my life was when I was in Boy Scouts one spring break we hiked 15miles through what is called the Fort Davis Mountains and hiking through all kinds of trails and seeing all the different wildlife. And just being able to hike those rough trails and just sleeping under the stars these are my favorites and I miss it all!:cowboy::rock::tup:
David Hair

Thank you! I think I'll go outside and play now. Just like recess. And then when I come home, I'll have milk and cookies followed by a nap.

"Go for long walks...indulge in hot baths...question your assumptions...be kind to yourself...live for the moment...loosen up...scream...curse the world...count your belessings...just let go...just BE! " -- Carol Shields

ahhhhh, I

tend to tend to look at life on the positive side, and keep my paternal grandmother's saying in mind: "You're only as old as you think you are." And, I think I'm only 21.....*coughing* ahem.......

How else would I deal with all the physical **** that I have as a result of the E? Besides, that is how I stay so positive. :bigsmile:

Practice patience and happiness and be your own friend. Turn "No" into "Yes" even if it seems impossible. Believe in yourself and follow your own instincts...

When I was growing up I lived on a ranch. At nights I would lay down all night and look at the stars and planets. It was dark, so I really got a good view. Riding horses makes me feel alive. I wish I had one now. Listening to melody music calms me down. I feel alive.:twocents:

Sunset, riding through the Haydon Valley wih just the elk, the moose and the wide blue sky. That was the best day of my life.

Induge yourself

i also find using lavender oil in the bath as in Aromatherpy oils can ease the stress too i use it in the bath to help me relax more. frankincess is another good 1 too all u need is 3 small drops thats it it also makes the room smell nice afterwards . i use to go to a day centre who use to give me a masage every month thats how i found out which oils to use.

i also find using lavender oil in the bath as in Aromatherpy oils can ease the stress too i use it in the bath to help me relax more. frankincess is another good 1 too all u need is 3 small drops thats it it also makes the room smell nice afterwards ..

Rose, that is great. I will try that.

u can also mix the 2 together ruth frankincess a lavender 3 small drops of each i will try and find out what oils not to use if on AEDS hope this can help u to

u can also mix the 2 together ruth frankincess a lavender 3 small drops of each i will try and find out what oils not to use if on AEDS hope this can help u to

Hi Rose, I have written this down so I can try it.

If memory

serves me correctly (yeah, you might want to check this...) sage is one of the oils that E patients are NOT supposed to use. Rosemary, too, I THINK....

serves me correctly (yeah, you might want to check this...) sage is one of the oils that E patients are NOT supposed to use. Rosemary, too, I THINK....

That's right according to my aromatherapy books.

certain oils

Certain oils such as hyssop rosemary sweet fennel and sage are thought to have an alerting affect on the brain and may trigger seizures in people with epilepsy.

Last edited:
From a rituals aspect I was told that I can subsitute Sweet Grass for Sage. Both have purification proporties but suppposedly the Sweet Grass will not cause seizures. Up to this point I have not incountered any ill effects from Sweet Grass but it is a little hard to get a hold of.

Tell me about it. White sage is really nice with lavendar as a purifcation smoke *not actually smoking it, but you light it and let it smolder and run the smpoke up and down your body.* Sweet Grass is nice, but doesnt smell the same.

Certain oils such as hyssop rosemary sweet fennel and sage are thought to have an alerting affect on the brain and may trigger seizures in people with epilepsy.

Yes, the drug known as Salvia, *which is part of the scientific name for sage* is actually smoked sort of like marijauna, and creates an intense high that last about 5-10 minutes. People who have smoked this drug have been know to have seizures for the duration of the high, become catatonic, stop breathing and can be fatal if smoked alone and medical response cannot be performed. It is of course best that you dont smoke it at all.

Other herbs that give problems when smoked that I know of: Oregano and Cat Nip...Yes, there are people who have done that. those are the people that end up making the news...

From a rituals aspect I was told that I can subsitute Sweet Grass for Sage. Both have purification proporties but suppposedly the Sweet Grass will not cause seizures. Up to this point I have not incountered any ill effects from Sweet Grass but it is a little hard to get a hold of.

I have never heard of Sweet Grass. Is it an herb or a special type of grass.

Rae, I never knew one could smoke herbs. I never thought about it, though. The side effects give me the chills.

Back
Top Bottom