How to deal with not driving

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

In England you have to be seizure free for a year to get your licence back. I lost mine 6 years ago. I have gone over a year without a seizure at one point was just sending off my paperwork to re-apply and after 54 weeks I had the worst seizure I've ever had. Imagine what would have happened if I HAD been driving...Since then I have decided myself that it's just too big a risk to take. I've kind of got used to it now, and I travel mostly by bus ( most routes in our large town have buses every 10-15 mins, my local route between my home and the town centre is every 7 mins). I travel to other local towns and London by train. I guess it is very important to be near very good public transport if you know you're never going to be able to drive again. I also use taxi's to get my shopping home. Gave up long ago trying to get a week's shopping for 4 people home on the bus! I would advise the move to a big city with good transport it gives you the ability to get out if you can without feeling unable to do it yourself.

Twice I have gone long enough to get my license and twice I have lost it. With new medications that act in new ways to control seizures and other new treatments, if I go the 6 months or 1 year, I can't say I won't drive. I really can't.

I have to be seizure free for six months before I can drive again. I live in the country and there's no transportation, not even something far away that I could walk to. So I'm really isolated. Friends have offered to drive me places, and I've hired a 17 year old boy who drives me shopping and any other errands I have and he comes once a week. That's been working very well. But I hate the dependency. I think the worst thing is that it's a constant reminder of the seizures. So far the meds have controlled the seizures so I'm hoping to drive again.

Can U biycle anywhere or get anywhere on a bike? Good Luck I hope you can get ahead. Where I live on flat land I can get places with a bike if I need to I'm 55YO and still not seizure free so I've had to live with it.

No April, I can't get anyplace on a bike. Nothing is close to me and it's very hilly where I live. I just couldn't do that and it'd be several miles before I got anyplace. Maybe I'll look into an electric bike :)

Is there any way you could possibly move to a place with better transportation systems? I was living in a little village when I was diagnosed, I moved to my current address purely because it was served so well by buses and trains. It was the best thing I ever did because I am so much more independant. I don't have to rely on anyone to get where I want to go, I have all the freedom to go where I want when I want. Living where I am now the rent is an awful lot higher but I was willing to put up with that for the freedom. I'm paying nearly 50% more rent than I was previously in the village, but it's worth it. There are no cycle paths where I am, and as we aren't allowed to cycle on the path, I don't feel safe riding in the road i n case I have a seizure. That's my personal opinion. But moving was the best thing I ever did.

That's certainly a good suggestion Loudmouth. I may have to eventually do that, but for right now, I expect to be able to drive after the six months is over. I've only had nocturnal seizures, and so far (2 1/2 months) the meds are controlling it. So I've got my fingers crossed. But if it doesn't work out, I'll do just what you did, move to where I can walk to things, and where there's public transportation. Sounds like that's been very good for you :)

Many of you may possibly have the chance of driving again. This is very different from my son who is blind. At 20 the transportation issue is of acute importance to him as it is to every other blind person. In fact, it is the top issue a blind person faces. We live in a small town with no public transportation and, actually, no where he wanted to go to anyway. All the things he wanted to do were 45 miles away and he was very frustrated with having to ask for rides all the time. The isolation was getting to him so he exercised a very possitive choice, researched his options, and moved to a big city with an excellant transportation system, Portland, OR. Now he is self sufficient and can go where he wants and can live his life with pride in his grown-up independance. In fact, he says he dosen't even think about it, taking it for granted as a natural thing. He's clean across the country and as a Mom I miss him, but he is right. Here he was too dependant to tolerate it and there he is independant. Maybe the answer to my missing him is for me to visit him and let him show me around so I can share his experences as a competent young blind man. He will never have the possibility of the chance of sight, like some of you will never have the chance to live seizure-free, but just research your options and don't be afraid to exercise them. Successful blind men and women are not the only ones who overcome transportation issues. And listen you guys, no pity words or concecending words about blindness, please. Some people do that and it is so irritating. Blind people can be an example, though, because they face a realistic challenge just like many of you do, and they research and exercise positive options that lead to successfully meeting those challenges. You all can, too. :soap:

Thank you so much for that beautiful reminder Chatter-box. Sometimes it's hard to remember that my life will go on and even be good :)

Chatterbox,

I applaud you for that beautiful reminder. :clap: Your son certainly has faced tremendous challenges and kudos to him for seeking his independence!!!

Yes, I have faced many challenges too, with seizures, brain surgery, more seizures, no driving, more surgery, etc. but I know there is light at the end of the tunnel!

This makes me mad. I am sorry. It is not about driving. I have never been able to drive. It is about what she wants. Let her go to a college where she qualifies. Other things can be worked out. She might have to face this the rest of her life she might not. Right now just face the school. They will help her if it is a good enough school. And if she has room mates that will help to.

I've never been able to drive, and that's been my entire life.
I get around by public transportation since I live near a big city.
My husband takes me places and friends do sometimes.
I hate asking for rides.I'm not to proud to ask for a ride though.
Belinda::agree:

Back
Top Bottom