How to prepare for a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sash

New
Reaction score
My dog can sense my seizures before they begin, he has a very specific way of alerting me of something not being right and will not leave my side; the dog also goes for help and wakes me up after the seizure, he was never trained to do so, he is a rescue dog that I saved from a pound a year and a half ago and in return he has saved me. I am currently having him trained to be a service dog so that I can take him everywhere with me when necessary, which is going fantastically. My question is, how do I prepare for a seizure when my dog alerts me? What do I do if I know a seizure may be coming?

I only began having seizures in May of this year, I see a neurologist, I have had all the testing done and I am on Keppra; I was on another seizure control medication but it lead to too many severe side effects. There is currently no known triggers for my seizures other than sleep deprivation, but strangely I have had a seizure in my sleep before. I have had only four seizures that I know of, there is no pattern to the occurrence of the seizures that I can tell.

Anyway, I just need to know how do I take care of myself before a seizure occurs? What do I do if I am at home or if I am in a public place? Where do I go?

I plan to talk to my neurologist about this but I do not see him until later this month. I am asking now because my dog is in training and will be certified within six weeks.

Thank you.

Hi sash, welcome to CWE!

What kind of seizures do you have? If they are tonic-clonics (convulsions w. loss of consciousness), then try and lie down in a safe space away from sharp corners and objects. If you are in public, consider telling someone near you (ideally someone in authority) and ask for their assistance. If you have a seizure bracelet or identity tag, show it to them.

You could also try the breathing exercises detailed here http://www.normalbreathing.com/diseases-stop-seizures.php to stop or delay onset of the seizure. They don't work for everyone, but they are worth a try.

I think it's terrific that your rescue dog is taking care of you, and getting the training to be a seizure companion dog. Sounds like a great arrangement all around. :)

Best,
Nakamova

I have what my doctors called "grand mal seizures", which I just read are what you said. Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.

Hi Sash,

I've had CP (where I lose awareness, not unconscious, tho) and TC (grand mal) seizures for years. I usually have an aura before the seizure, so have time to get to a safe place, away from stoves, showers, tables, sharp objects, where I can sit/lie if I need to. I've had both types of seizures in public before and I don't have a seizure dog, but I do wear a medic alert bracelet. I hope you get your dog soon.

Hi Sash,

Since 1993 i've had tonic-clonic seizures so everytime I feel one coming i'll drop to the ground to avoid injury. I've had several seizures in public where i'd get to the ground and remain there no more then three to four minutes. I believe what's most important is to where a medic alert bracelet so people are aware of the situation and don't panic.

-Mike

Just as

a point of reference for you, Sash, tonic-clonics (also seen abbreviated as t/c's or t-c's) are the same thing as grand mals. Tonic clonic is the more recent name for them.....

Welcome to CWE, I'm sure you're going to like it here.

In your case, I would probably go put myself in a safe, soft spot, and either sit down, or lie down on your side.

You''ve got a great dog!

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

first off ... welcome to CWE ! secondly i agree about letting someone know if you have an aura an hve the time to do so , and definitely get to the ground away from sharp objects and things that could fall on you if you hit them .... and as far as your dog goes that's such an amazing story , dogs are such a blessing , you saved that baby and now as you said he is saving you ! make sure once you get him certified that you share this wonderful story whenever possible , good luck

Wow. You are very fortunate to have such an awesome dog, not just any dog can be a seizure assistance dog. Please share some pics and keep us posted on your new partners training. I have found that the Keppra side effects are much less if I keep up on my rest, stay well hydrated, eat right and minimize stress. When those things get out of balance, LOOK OUT!

Remove glasses
ICE Bracelet or necklace, Card in wallet, or cell phone app

Back
Top Bottom