How would you describe your auras??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Army Vet

Stalwart
Reaction score
First off, I'm sure this has been talked about before (heck, I might have been the person to ask the same question 😳).

However, I figured it wouldn't hurt to talk about again and maybe help others looking for help/explanations. I remember when I was having these "strange, indescribable" feelings and didn't even know what they were called, not to mention how to describe them!! I was afraid I was totally out of it. What is this and how do I even explain it?!? Finally I had googled enough to know others had it going on to them as well and at least knew what to call them lol. And then of course found this wonderful site (bias anyone) 😁😏

Anyway, I would describe my auras similar to that "feeling" you get when you have just reached the top of a rollercoaster and that split second you start to go down (ie you're weightless due to the momentum of going down) and like I’m falling and that feeling gets stuck making me "fear" that I am going to hit the ground (like I had just jumped out of an airplane) any second, but I have no parachute or anything to stop it. Also, that I’m "there" but not really in control of my body. Also that everything just kind of turns into the Charlie Brown "adult voice." Yes, I hear you, but don't ask me to respond or translate 😂 I've been able to somewhat recognize this "feeling" and later ask my mom if I had an episode. She'd quickly say yes and tell me how long it was and my actions. Other times I didn't even know about it and she'd tell me. That's where I wonder how many I actually have, but don't even remember and no one was there to tell me 😧

Others?

Hi Army Vet,

My auras start out with seeing colors of the rainbow in a zig zag pattern going back and forth from one eye to the other
then I start to get a nervous feeling in my stomach like butterflies and I'm aware of what's going on the entire time. My Dr.
told me the nervous feeling in my stomach was the seizure going down into my stomach which I have never heard of before.
The next time you start to get an aura tighten up all the muscles in your body and make your hands into tight fists for a few
seconds if you do it quick enough it will stop the seizure. My neuro I had back in the 1970's taught me this and it stopped
the aura seizures from going into an absence or complex partial seizure if I did it quick enough.

Here wishing you only the Best and May God Bless You,

Sue

Aura’s with me are strange. It is like I am starting to have a seizure, different than my normal seizures, and it never actually gets there. Stops short. I a not too sure I could stop my auras because like actual seizures, it sneaks in then tries shifting me from this world. I’ll try though

Colors (but I never remember what the colors are) flashing, deep feelings of dread/panic to the point that I'm forcing my Wife to call Family to make certain everyone is okay, MONSTROUS headaches, hallucinations (again, never recalling exactly of what). For ME, though, epilepsy is a SYMPTOM of a much larger problem that is killing me so it might be different for me than for others with whom epilepsy is the actual Condition.

For me an odd, hard to describe feeling starts in the back right side of my head, spreads to the top & front, then ends. Sometimes it will spread across the back then towards the top & front before ending. I usually just put my head down when I feel one coming on. they normally last leass than 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom