Hydration

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Army Vet

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got to thinking yesterday (boy did that hurt 😏) and I started wondering about the effects of dehydration and seizures. Between my medications and VNS, I get dry mouth very easily. I do drink water throughout the day. So this got me to thinking, are you drinking enough water, dummy? So yesterday I drank much more water (no worries, in moderation along with a Gatorade) and I slept MUCH better (plus I made sure to stop after 8 PM). Also, I did NOT wake up with dry mouth. Of course we know the correlation with bad sleep and seizures 🙄

Just curious if anyone had any thoughts/comments. It seemed like it cleared up my sinuses better as well, which guess what, when you breathe better during sleep you will rest/feel better 🤪

Yeah I have to be careful not to get dehydrated, I think it was triggering for me in the past. If electrolyte im balance is especially triggering then juice or gatorade is a good idea, along with plain or mineral water.

One of the seizure meds I was on before had a known dehydrating side effect. It gave gave me low blood pressure -- the kind where if you sit up, your blood pressure plummets, so not good. I eventually switched off of it for a variety of reasons.

HI Army Vet,

Whatever you do cut back on the sweet drinks and caffeine because that can trigger seizures according to my Epileptologist.
You are playing it smart drinking water. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I drink approximately a half gallon of water each day. I began drinking a lot of water when I was trying to lose weight in thew early 90's. Now I kind of have to thanks to Topiramate. I also drink 3-4 cups of tea--some black, some green. Despite all of the water I drink, my mouth is often dry because of the AEDs.

Like you I drink at half a gallon or more or of water a day and my mouth is always dry. I always have a bottle of water with me, even when I go out. There have been many times when I've gone shopping at the grocery store and I've been so thirsty and my mouth is so dry that I'll get a bottle of water off the shelf, drink it while I'm shopping in the store then pay for an empty or half full bottle at the register when I check out. Luckily I've never gotten arrested. The cashiers do give me some odd looks though.

I keep mints or some type of candy to suck on with me, that helps too.

Another thing I like to drink once in a while is flavored sparkling water. There is only one brand I like, though--its called ICE. I used to buy another non-carbonated favored water, but that company's product seems to suddenly disappeared from the market.

Another thing I like to drink once in a while is flavored sparkling water. There is only one brand I like, though--its called ICE. I used to buy another non-carbonated favored water, but that company's product seems to suddenly disappeared from the market.
Yep, I've been drinking that for a couple of years now. My favorite is the black raspberry. Must be everybody else's as well because it's usually sold out 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

I purchase the sparkling water from the warehouse store in a mixed 24 case. There were 2 times when the water wasn't available in-store but was available on line, so I had it delivered to me.

Back
Top Bottom