Hydrocodone and Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Stinkpot

New
Reaction score
I did something very foolish and I'm hoping you guys won't get upset so please understand!

I was doing Hydrocodone to help "kill" my simple partials. When I was passing a kidney stone one time, I was on hydrocodone to ease the pain.
I have a convulsion every month a few days before, during, and even a few days after my period and simple partials throughout my period.
I have noticed while I was taking the hydrocodone, I didn't have ANY seizure activity for 1 month! Off the bat, I thought it was the hydrocodone and decided to take a far step and abused it last month.

Last month I took it and it "killed" the simple partials and I did not have a convulsion!
Today, I started having simple partials(just a few more days before my damn period). I took a hydrocodone and just like last month it stopped the simple partials in their tracts!

Unfortuantly, I started having a few simple partials later on the day and just 3 hours ago, had a convulsion.

PLEASE, PLEASE, I don't want any body abusing hydrocodone! It's dangerous! I have no proof that Hydrocodone prevents seizures either - it's just something I noticed and took a risk.

So I ask, why did the hydrocodone stop my simple partials today, the seizure activity last month and all activity the time I was passing a kidney stone? Do you think the hydrocodone is responsible for it or just a coincidence?

I would appreciate any answers!

Regards,

Stinkpot

Hydrocodone is an opioid, so in the short term in may have provided a sedative effect that did "kill" your seizures. Hydrocodone also lowers testosterone levels in the body which may have been another factor, given that your seizures cluster around your period. However, as with other opioids, its effect on the body (especially the endocrine and hormonal systems) can change over time and with chronic use. There's a reason why it's NOT prescribed for long-term use as a pain reliever (and why it's not prescribed for long-term seizure control either!). As with all the brain meds, it can mess with you coming and going, so it's not a good idea to experiment with it.

Ok, thanks. I'll never do it again. I didn't overdose on it, I did experiment on it though. 1 pill seemed to kill those simple partials with out having any more that day.

Trust me - kidney stone attacks are awfull! I need as many pain killers I need incase I have one(even though they barely work - only successful with toradol injections) and over the counter pain killers like ibuprofen and tylenol are not strong enough to ease the pain of a kidney stone attack!

Thanks for the info and thanks for understanding.

Hydrocodone

I take hydro for torn rotor-cuff and I also noticed absolutly no auras or episodes while I take this. I am on 325mg. Dilantin daily. But the hydro makes a huge difference for me. Can the doc prescribe anything that will help me like the hydro does. Thanks

Your best bet is to talk to your doc directly. The hydrocodone is short-term knock-out punch, not a long-term option.

I am on hydrocodone for chronic pain. I have been on it for 4 years, but I am monitored closely by pain management doctor. I developed E while on this, and it has no effect on seizures. But then again, it is like take aspirin for me!

I've been given hydrocodone for migraines. I only take it once a month or so because I'm scared of the stuff. I don't want to get addicted. This is in spite of the fact I have post-ictal migraines almost every day.

I haven't noticed a decrease in my seizures with hydrocodone. I'm not desensitized to it, or addicted, either. I take a really low dose, though. Usually half a tablet.

I sure wouldn't recommend hydrocodone as a seizure rescue med. If you are ever tempted, just think of Rush Limbaugh and how he ended up - addicted, in rehab., life blown apart (for awhile, anyway).

Thank you for letting me know about the hydrocondone. I have heard of it but I do not think I have taken it. But, thanks for the warning. I am sorry to hear that you are having these issues. It can be very distressing.

Here is my question...did the hydrocodone actually "kill" the seizure or did it just make you loopy enough that you didn't notice it when it happened?

I can take hydrocodone and it does absolutely nothing to me...I might as well be taking tylenol. My husband, on the other hand, takes it and says it doesn't kill the pain but makes it so he doesn't care about it anymore. It makes him a little loopy too...a bit buzzed if you will. If I was buzzed or loopy I probably wouldn't notice my simple-partials at all, lol.

Hopefully you and your doctor can find a better solution to your sezs then pain killers or any other kind of illicit drug. I realize that there are times when we all grasp for a be-all end all cure and get our hopes up really high then have them plummet when the next sez happens. There are a multitude of meds to try though and many alternative means other than addictive narcotics :)

A lot of narcotics which are addictive relax the muscles, The other day at the ER they gave me Ativan by I and it stopped the partial seizures for a few hours. I can agree that it is a tempting choice. I just want these to stop. I am nervous that I have dyskinesia. The doctors are so slow to respond. What anti-seizure medication do you take?

I've been on hydrocodone for pain mangement since 2007. I get criticized by my doctors because I don't take it often enough in their point of view - I take it when my pain is off the charts, they'd like me to take it before the pain gets that bad, but I prefer not to risk becoming addicted to the stuff.

Still, I've been on it long enough that it doesn't get me "high" or anything like that, it simply makes me stop hurtig for a few hours - and yes, it does work wonderfully on migraines that make me want to cut my head off in addition to my back and neck hurting so bad that I can barely walk. But I've never noticed it doing squat for simple partials, at least not for me.

Still, as with any narcotic, legal or otherwise, be careful messing around with hydrocodone self-medicating for off-label uses that your doc didn't prescribe it for. Addiction is no joke - it tears up your body, your relationships, and your life.

Back
Top Bottom