I have Epilepsy and am looking for ideas for a Job.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jeffrey M

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone my name Jeffrey and I am a 25 yr. old with Epilepsy and am having a rough night. I am here to look for answers and maybe some advice to help me out through these times.... My history goes like this I was 3 yrs. old and had a fever seizure. I was then seizure free until I was 15. I was talking to my girlfriend on the phone at the time and had just got done eating a piece of Pizza. It was about 11 p.m. when I had it I guess don't really remember. What I do remember is my grandmother going and talking to me as my uncle was carrying me to his truck. They took me to the hospital, and yes, I was put on medicine shortly afterwards. I have been on trileptol, dilantin, Topamax, and a couple others. None of them work. I don't know what to do anymore. Also my mother has seizures too. Hers are not that bad though apparently she figured out how to control hers. I noticed though that some of them I have had when I came out of it I either threw up when I had it or after I came out of it. Lately though I started dislocating my right arm when I had them and yeah I just recently had shoulder surgery so I am a little irritated and bored and again sorry I don't know how to state my feelings. So this is my history. As of today I am 25 yrs old and married, I have a 5 month old son and am scared of not being able to support him on the supposed limited number of jobs that I can have apparently. So I am looking for advice.

Hi Jeffrey, Have you considered signing up with your Texas Department of Vocational Rehabilitation? I did a quick google search and found this link although you may be able to hone it down to an office closer to your home: http://www.dars.state.tx.us/drs/vr.shtml They may be able to help you since they specialize in working with people who have physical disabilities who want to work. Before I was diagnosed with Epilepsy I earned my master's degree in Rehabilitation Counseling and that's what I did for a living. Who knew the shoe would be on the other foot and I would be one who can't remain seizure-free longer than a few days to hold down a job... so, I feel your pain, buddy.

Congratulations on the new baby!! Welcome to the forum and it's nice to meet you. I understand how frustrating it can be to be unemployed and how hard it is to support a family, while managing seizures. Don't give up....you can do it!!! Apply for everything you can find. Get in touch with all of the support systems in your area, and especially your local State Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. That's what they are there for! :)

I went through Voc rehab years ago after I was diagnosed. It helpped me get into what I am doing now and have been in that field since 1992. I'm not rich but it does pay the bills. I recomend voc rehab highly

as much as i like my job, i am going to call the vocational office monday, thanks you all :)

What are you doing now days pita?
I am a corporate travel agent. I book travel for business men and women that travel all around the world. Voc Rehab paid for the training. After finishing the training they helped me get a job. I don't recomend what I do as it is a dying field now because nowadays you can do most of my job on the internet. The best part of this job is I can do it from home. I do go into the office a couple days a week just to have adult conversation with others besides my dog. Good luck! Same to you C0urt!

my girlfriend lacks the need to get out of the apt and talk others and why i go to work at times

Welcome Jeffery! I would also like to congratulate you on your baby. What wonderful news! Try not to stress too much over finding a job. I know it is easier said than done, but that could be a trigger for you as well. I think that the biggest part of any job you find will be the people that you work with. As long as they understand your situation and are supportive and will work around your seizure activity, then you have it made! I was able to find that where I work, and it has been the best ever. Best of luck to you!

Hey thanks all. I am glad to find a place to help me cope right now. I appreciate what you guys are saying and yes husky I am afraid to drop my son due to my seizures (gotta love them) I have had to have shoulder surgery and my entire shoulder replaced which was done on Jan. 22nd and I am suppose to be seeing a doctor but I moved back to Texas to be closer to my mom and dad so they can help me with my son and have no medical here yet. I am still working on that but I do need a job and am not even supposed to be working but I don't know about any of you, but I can't stay at home and do nothing for 6 months like my doctor wants me to.

I'm very sympathetic about the shoulder stuff -- I had my second shoulder surgery last year in the hopes of preventing any further dislocations and damage...

One good way to spend the 6 months might be in learning a programming language -- folks with a variety of computer skills have a better-than-average chance of finding decent jobs.

Gday jeffery ! thats no good about your problems mate , I have found that word of mouth is great , talk to alot of people and you will get there , i know it must be hard still having siezures but could you possibly start your own small business ? even just mowing lawns & gardening ? you never know what is around the corner mate .

It got me down but now i think " bugger epilepsy " and get on with life !

HAVE A GREAT DAY JEFFERY :)

Back
Top Bottom