I want something to be easy just for once (Women's Issues)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sixpack

New
Reaction score
Well we started Lindsay on Seasonique on 10/26 to solve all the ovualtion/menses seizures.

on 10/26 evening she had CPS that generalized--it lasted 45sec-1min
10/27a.m.--had a CPS last 45 sec. These both happened, also, at the end of her period. (Her period started 10/22) So I could chalk that up to period seizures.

on 10/31 she had, what seemed so brief that I couldn't be sure it was a seizure, while I was bathing and washing her hair. She leaned back and was very still for 5-10sec then let me finishing washing her hair. I let her stay in the tub for another 5 mins while I stood hovering:? Then to breakfast, about 15 min later---she definitely had a small seizure then--she jumped up from the table and was agitated, confused. it was 10-15sec.

Now this morning while I was brushing her teeth, she clenched her teeth then tried to escape. I calmed her and finished brushing her teeth. this was another 5-10 secs. Afterward she didn't really want to eat, but did finally. She is fairly hyper active presently as is often the case after seizures.

She hasn't been tired/sleepy/lethargic after any seizure in several years, so what I'm seeing is fairly typical.

Okay now after that long winded speech.....

I want to be in denial, really I do, I want Seasonique to stop or atleast decrease her seizure activity and to help with her emotional PMSing (she is very good at PMSing:crying:), and generally just dealing with her period in general. It's only been a week since starting them and I've seen 5 seizures (two likely due to the end of period, but the other 3...). I want to give the pill atleast a month to make a better judgment on whether this is working. Or see if the uptick in seizures is just her body adusting to the pill. What I really don't want is for the pill to be truly lowering her threshold.

The best of all worlds using the pill would be:
reducing her seizures
relieving the PMS
just getting rid of the general issue of her period

I could be happy
if we relieved the PMS/period issue

Don't need/want
lower threshold

Probably what hubby and I will do, considering these seizures are very mild as compared to her norm, is take the wait and see attitude for one cycle (of course if something more dire happens we'd take action sooner)

Honestly I don't know if I'm venting, talking out loud, or looking for advice:roflmao:

Well probably it's like what the title of the thread says:

I want something to be easy for once

ahem,

thanks for listening.

Last edited:
I know that feeling....:) When I was on depakote, I was also taking the depo provera shot. I'd go ahead and give the pill a month, but if it doesn't work, ask the doctor about the shot. You only hae to get it every couple of months. And it's easier than trying to remember a pill everyday at the exact same time.

sixpack - sorry to hear about the Lindsay's new problems with the start of the Seasonique. We all know your frustration - nothing ever seems to be easy. I've been through it enough and know how the "wait and see" procedure works. It's so frustrating! I wish you and your family good luck. Sincerely, Josie

I wished there could be something as simple as
Staple's Easy Button...

easy-button.jpg

that could resolve the answers for all ... by just
a push of that button!

But it's all frustrating and my heart goes out for
both of you - (((((((((( hugs ))))))))

thank you,

She actually had another this afternoon that lasted a minute. I called the gyno and we are going to try the progesterone only pill plus add vitamin D/Calcium supplement.

If that doesn't work, well we'll try something else, I guess.

I guess some women actually have more seizures on BCP. ack!

but yeah, I WANT THE EASY BUTTON. lol

I really DID have it easy ...... my seizures didn't even start until age 44 (I think) after I had a total hysterectomy (I'm certain - lol). That was truly a blessing, no?
I do wish there were an easier way to get the same effects.

BUT -- that hysterectomy was a real bummer - I would not wish it on anyone :(

Hope the new Med works!

Hope the new Med works out for Lindsay, Tracy!

I wish I had an Easy Button, too.

All the trying new stuff.....waiting.....hoping.....:-(

I want something to be easy for once...

I say the same thing all the time. I do hope things get easier for you all and her periods and seizures get regulated. You strike me as a very strong woman, but even the strongest among us get where we've had ENOUGH! :agree:

You go ahead and vent all you need to. Although I can't fix anything for you (despite my desire to help), I can offer support and tell you that I do understand some of your feelings. (((Hug)))

Nobody has walked a mile in your shoes (so we don't know exactly what you're going through), but all of us here got our shoes from the same crappy-seizure store (so we can relate). :e:

I know you love your daughter, but take care of yourself too.
Prayers for strength headed your way. -Julie

I say the same thing all the time. I do hope things get easier for you all and her periods and seizures get regulated. You strike me as a very strong woman, but even the strongest among us get where we've had ENOUGH! :agree:

You go ahead and vent all you need to. Although I can't fix anything for you (despite my desire to help), I can offer support and tell you that I do understand some of your feelings. (((Hug)))

Nobody has walked a mile in your shoes (so we don't know exactly what you're going through), but all of us here got our shoes from the same crappy-seizure store (so we can relate). :e:

I know you love your daughter, but take care of yourself too.
Prayers for strength headed your way. -Julie

Wow what a very kind and loving post. I appreciate that. got to laugh about the "same crappy seizure store":roflmao: I have to agree that store needs to be shut DOWN.

Hope the new Med works out for Lindsay, Tracy!

I wish I had an Easy Button, too.

All the trying new stuff.....waiting.....hoping.....:-(

Thank you Ann. Wouldn't a easy button just be the cat's meow?

Why shut it down when you can .....

Wow what a very kind and loving post. I appreciate that. got to laugh about the "same crappy seizure store":roflmao: I have to agree that store needs to be shut DOWN.

SHUT IT DOWN?

HECK .. grab the gas can - let's BURN IT DOWN!

:evil2:

:agree: with :brain:

Let's burn down the seizure shop! We all got ripped off!

(I should have been suspicious about this store when it was a "going out of business" sale) :pfft: My brain has a factory defect :roflmao:

So how are things going so far with Lindsay
and yourself??

Brain,

no seizures yesterday. crossing fingers.

seizures4ever---usually a store closing is a great place to shop. You can usually get great deals!!! Buyer beware this time.

No seizures yesterday? I'm so glad to hear that. :) I wish it was everyday for her, but if you take one day at a time right now, you can rejoice in the small victories. :e:

Thinking of your family today.
-Julie

:woot:

Glad to hear that! One day at a time!

:tup:

yep yesterday was fine as well. Now two days. but her usual is a couple every two weeks---ovulation/menses. So this last week or so has been very unusual which is why I immediately thought it was the beg of the seasonique causing the uptick.

I was very tired yesterday because of staying up watching election coverage. Last night had me at my son's school concert. He plays trumpet. So again today I'm tired.

Hi
If the seasonique doesn't work in a month or two you may want to enquire about the arm implant thing ( progestasert). You may also want to ask the OBGY about possible drug interactions. Some drugs are enzyme inducers ( esp cyrochrome p450. the lists of drugs are all over the net) . Since BCPs are metabolized by cytp450 , an inducer would cause drug failure. Glad to hear she's seizure free for 2 days:)

Hi
If the seasonique doesn't work in a month or two you may want to enquire about the arm implant thing ( progestasert). You may also want to ask the OBGY about possible drug interactions. Some drugs are enzyme inducers ( esp cyrochrome p450. the lists of drugs are all over the net) . Since BCPs are metabolized by cytp450 , an inducer would cause drug failure. Glad to hear she's seizure free for 2 days:)

I took her off the seasonique on Monday. She is now on a progesterone only (mini-bcp) pill. It can, according to drug website, reduce serum levels in depakote, so I'm watching that. I am prepared to discontinue any BCP, if we see increase in seizure activity. If it turns out we have to, then we'll try something else OR I'll just climb the bus that's headed to the funny farm. :pfft: We are unlikely to try the depo-provera shot because it is known to cause decreased bone density and Lindsay is already small boned etc so we, including her drs, are leary of that option. Even with the pill, I'm giving her a calcium pill at night in addition to lots of milk.

:banana: I added the dancing banana because my 5yr old thinks it's neat.

Back
Top Bottom