IEP's vs 504 plans!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have a question regarding IEP's and 504 plans, can anyone tell me what they have in place for their kids, and what works and doesn't work?

Does your son have academic learning disabilities or behavior issues because of the seizures? I am an elementary school counselor and have lots of experience with both 504s and IEPs. Shoot me soem specific questions and I'll do what I can to give decent advice.

Hello, well my daughter started off with a 504 plan to help her with some of her classes in middle school which lasted about 3 months. Her case manager noticed that even with the 504 in place she was still having issues in her classes and needed more hands on help. I sat down with her counselors and her teachers and we discussed trying to get her on an IEP, which she's on now and has been for the past 2 yrs. Me and her actually like it much better than the 504 plan only because it does more. Even though her Dr. wrote a letter confirming her epilepsy, the school district didn't feel that was enough for her to use up Special Education funds (which ultimately that's what an IEP is) so I took her in to see a Neuropsychologist who did various testing. In the end she was diagnosed with memory loss due to the seizures and in which case is considered to be a "Other Health Impairment" by the school district.

Once that report was printed and mailed to the school counselor, meetings were set in place to evaluate what type of classroom setting would be best for her. Right now she is in a special education Math class which is smaller. Her homework in all classes has been reduced and testing has been transformed into True/False question (sometimes even having the test read to her) She also has the option to sit in front of the class, redo tests below a 70 and teachers printing her additional example copies of notes for homework.

Hope this helps!

My daughter is 14 and we have a 504 in place for her. Basically a 504 plan is used when there is no learning disability present but the child needs accommodations. An IEP is used when there is an academic/learning disability and there is a need for accommodations and/or modifications. I am a Kinder/1st grade teacher and have some experience with both IEP's and 504's. I did alot of research for my daughter's 504 plan not wanting to miss anything. If you have any questions - just ask:)

My daughter, 11, has an IEP. We were told she would be more protected on that than on a 504. Its all complicated to me so the ladies above may be of better help :)

Back
Top Bottom