If you didn’t have epilepsy, how would you change your life?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have to admit, I’d still be a writer. Writing is my passion, it’s what gets me up in the morning and I couldn’t imagine living without it.

Yes, sometimes I can’t find the keyboard, sometimes I can’t think straight and sometimes, I can’t concentrate.

Be since I’m a freelancer, it will always be there, waiting for me.

Others aren’t as fortunate, I know. They want to be in the military, the medical field, teach, go to college or graduate school, be an engineer, work in retail, DRIVE…the list is endless.

But if you did have the options — without epilepsy haunting you — what would you choose to do?

Hi, Phylis: If epilepsy wasn't haunting me, I'd change my profession from a part-time teacher to a full-time social worker whom deals with students (and their families)of any age & any socioeconomic status. Thank you for asking this question. :)

as much as i haaaaaaaaate it, if i didn't have epilepsy i wouldn't be me. epilepsy has been part of a long time of my life now; like my little friend. no, but seriously through all the trials and tribulations i've gone through with doctors, the state, school and work to help me out, it was alot of work and i wouldn't take any of it back cause its made me a better person. and i know if i continue on with epilepsy, i will only becomen even better and stronger

I'm not sure how much I would do differently -- I'm lucky that right now E isn't causing me too many problems that are restricting me (mostly low energy). But I've spent a chunk of change on epilepsy-related healthcare, and it would be great to have that back -- with that money I could travel or take classes or help out friends and family...

epilpesy doesn't restrict me from much. i can still ride rollercoasters, pursue my career, do anything pretty much daily. but it is a pain having to take meds with you all the time, live in paranoia...

I would go back to traveling and see the world plus get my private pilot's license. That was my goal before epilepsy struck me like a bolt of lightening.

I've switched my mind so many times about what I wanted to be in life. Because I get bored with things easily, I wanted to make sure that I always had a job where the tasks were not repeatitive.

But if I didnt have E, *and I would need to be 2 inches taller* I would be a police officer. I've wanted to be one for so long, but I was considered too short. Then too small, and now with E I cant drive or have a gun license. So that went totally out the window

I want to be a neurologist, but with how much it costs, thats probably not going to be a reality, so instead of doing that, Im going to use my first year of school to be a paramedic.

Id still be flying for the airlines. Man I miss that feeling of a perfect landing and every passenger thanking us for a good flight. Oh well..Im enjoying the homelife too.

I've always wanted to be a teacher, so epilepsy never really stopped me. I've always liked my male teachers the best (cept for my gym teacher), so I figured my students would feel the same way. The only problem with teaching is, sometimes the meds cause a mind blank and you have to pause for a moment. I'm still in college so I only do student teaching right now. And the teachers know I have epilepsy so they help me out.

If I didnt have epilepsy I would DRIVE for a thousand miles straight to feel what its like to drive again.

If I didnt have epilepsy I would DRIVE for a thousand miles straight to feel what its like to drive again.
couldnt have said it better !!!!!!!! i looved driving , i would load the dog in our jeep and just ride around just because , havent done that in about 4 yrs now , and i miss it terribly !!!

I wouldn't change anything - except the dread and fear of being "Punk'd" around every corner by the invisible and dark maniac who makes me wind up, or wake up, in bizarre-o land and feel like s***

after reading the post above edit---> and I wouldn't feel bad about driving 8-/

Let's see...before I had E I was able to work full time, go to concerts without fearing how much pyro and strobe lights are involved (although I do it anyway), take my kids ice skating, and DRIVING. This is a big issue cuz it prevents my kids from doing things also cuz I can't take em to little league practice etc. So if I didn't have E those would be the things I could do.

Let's see... ice skating, and DRIVING. This is a big issue cuz it pre...... the things I could do.

which reminds me - I need to go ice skating again
signed,
my self-destructive and frustrated side

ah.....

where do I begin - without E. my school days might have been a pleasure instead of a struggle. Less anxiety, less prone to stress. Maybe a career would have been in the works for me. My second child would be alive (stillborn due to E.) My Dad might have been less protective and I would not have felt so dependent. My memory would be great and I would be the center of attention with my great recall on current events, politics and history! That was kind of a fantasy!

Financially I might be sitting a little more comfortable. Travel, oh I miss it. A job where I could travel, and spend the night alone and not fear having a seizure. I might have joined the military...I get bored so easy now. That constant fear of wondering when my brain just might decide to betray me, then waking up to nightmare on my street. I have become somewhat reclusive, bitchy, and hard to get along with at times. Being middle aged has given me time to reflect on what could have been.

Having said all that, I have so much to be thankful for.:bigsmile:

Oh without a doubt im gonna be driving,never ever really driven cos had first seizure when i was 17,and i would pick up every hitchhicker i see and take em where they wanted cos i know what its like to be standing in the same spot,thumb in the air,watching the cars whizz by!!!!!

Last edited:
I would be driving to my job oh wait let me say that again, I would be driving in my new car to my great job as a school teacher. ( special ed)

Like Nakamova said I would take the money being spent on Doctors and meds and go Travel or bet yet us my vacation days for a realy vacation and not a hospital stay/ sick day.
I would also like to water ski, tub, and snorkel/dive along a reef again instead of sitting at the front of the boat watching everyone else.
And so much more!!!

Back
Top Bottom