IF

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

137Alice

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi, everybody,
with all my meds and thyroid problems i gained a lot of weight. Since i never was a sporty type but then again all my life before epilepsy i was rather on thinner side and never worried about weight. To make my story short i tried intermittent fasting. I was never a big eater and with all the meds now i am practically never hungry. Somehow i wasn't sure fasting could help to somebody who is't eating a lot, but i was wrong. It was't fast, but i did lost weight. I had to stop, but now am starting again.
Just thought the info could be interesting to somebody.
Oh, yea, of course it is better to consult your doc first.
Love and hope for better times to all in new year,
Alice

Hi Alice,

I understand what you are saying about seizures meds causing a person to gain weight. Years ago I weighed 150 lbs. when I was in high school then I was put on Depakene (valproic acid) and I lost 70 lbs. in 4 months. I would eat a lot of junk food and foods high in fat and the pounds dropped like crazy. I had to go off the drug within time because it lowered my blood platelet level. Now I take Diamox and that's a diretic that helps get rid of extra fluids in the body which can trigger seizures for me. Since I've been on this drug I sometimes don't want to even eat and I have to force myself to eat but the drug has been a big help. Here's wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hey Alice --

Last time I lost weight in a controlled way, it was through intermittent fasting as well (the "5/2" plan). I've found I can't really do it in the wintertime, but I plan to start again in the Spring, as I've gained back a few pounds.

With my daughter she got morbid obesity we tried everything so we gave up we allow her eat same but cut perportsions down.She lost one stone in a month.we joined slimmers world you have samething in US.
I went through phase of juice diet that helped it meant putting 6carrots into liquidizer but eating 6 carrots 4oranges couple times a day not my best move.
I also got under active thyroid weight comes with terroty,I will never be a stick but neither do I want be fat cushion.My sister keep calling me lard arse not help.
as long not in danger zone hey one life enjoy food and go health club alto 20mins power walk is better

for me it is expensive to maintain weight, the cost between 210 and 160 when i have a on disabilty a lot different to.

Back
Top Bottom