I'm sitting here crying...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my insurance company. I called to see if there was any way to appeal the price of my Lamotrigine ER. I'm currently paying $675/monthly. I have a high deductible plan and they basically said, "there's nothing we can do to help you."

I asked about assistance programs and they said that they don't offer it for high deductible members. I called the pharmaceutical company that manufactures it and they said they had no assistance plans either. The coupons online are only 1 month coupons and fluctuate all the time.

Obviously, this is a medically necessary drug and I will be taking it for the rest of my life. In a last ditch effort, I emailed the benefits provider that handles our plan to see if I could negotiate a separate program for the medication and also called my neuro to see it she knew of any programs that could help. I'm waiting to hear back from both.

This seems so unfair. I hear what other people pay for the same medication and it makes me cry. I hate my insurance company. They are always so rude and have put me in a terrible position.

Im so sorry hun that youre having to deal with this BS from the insurance companies.

Have you tried looking into this?
Patient Assistance Programs

GlaxoSmithKline Bridges to Access

www.BridgesToAccess.com

(866) 728-4368

Medications covered: Lamictal
Lamictal XR and Potiga

How soon can you switch insurance plans to one with a better price structure? That's what I did when I realized what my meds were going to cost me.

How soon can you switch insurance plans to one with a better price structure? That's what I did when I realized what my meds were going to cost me.
My health insurance doesn't cover any perscription drugs. Im currently on 3 Tegretol XR and generic Keppra and Lamotrigine. I applied for all the assistance programs from the drug companies. I tried to get my own health care but they do not have to cover me because of my pre existing condition until next year when that part of Obama care goes into effect. Do you live in the states? I found a discount card at Walgreens for 20.00 a year that discounted the generic prescriptions dramatically. It dropped the generic Keppra from 660 per month down to 275.00. Right now I'm taking 8 a day because i'm taking 500 mg tablets. My doctors nurse called in a script for the 1000mg and it will drop the price to about 200.00. That was enough to make it worth my while. Hope that helps.

I have an idea. It's not perfect but get a part time job at a hospital. Any job. They offer awesome plans for employees. I work for a hospital as a Biller. It breaks my heart to see what is not covered. Wish I could be a philanthropist and help everyone.

Is there any chance the generic will work for you?

I take it three times a day (I am ramping up, and in 2 days will be taking it 4 times a day. I will end up taking it twice a day.)

It has a long half life, about 29 hours.

It's *much* cheaper.

I wish I had any suggestion at all to offer, but I don't. It is terribly unfair that our country's heathcare system is the way it is, and that pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies can both be so incredibly wealthy while un- or under-insured people get the shaft. I shudder to think how I would manage my monthly lamotrigine and trileptal payments, not to mention some of my wife's meds, if we didn't have her medical insurance. I'm self-employed so I have none of my own.
Best of luck to you in finding something! Hugs!

Is there any chance the generic will work for you?

I take it three times a day (I am ramping up, and in 2 days will be taking it 4 times a day. I will end up taking it twice a day.)

It has a long half life, about 29 hours.

It's *much* cheaper.

I'm currently taking the generic and it is still that expensive.

Wow!!

Maybe a different pharmacy? I know at the one we used to use (when we had insurance) I would be paying a lot more. But we go to this tiny pharmacy, and the 30 count 100mg was around $20-30, and now that it's 60 count, it's almost double that. But, I'll have to double check with my husband to be sure.

That's insane that you're having to spend that much!!

Well, mine isn't XR, it's regular ole generic lamictal.

So, yeah... at 30/mo it was about $14 and now at 60/mo it's still less than $30. But, that is *not* the XR. But like I said, I'm taking it 3 times a day. 50/50/50. I go up again on Thursday 50/50/12.5/50. Then we'll move up again making the 12.5 higher until it reaches 50. So I'll be taking 50/50/50/50. I **might** end up making that 100/100.

I currently take it at 7:30 am - 12:30 and then 10:30 pm.

I hope you find a solution. That has to be so incredibly frustrating.

I do remember the first time I was put on it - as a mood stabilizer - that w/o insurance it would have been around $790 a month.

I take generic Keppra, Depakote ER, and Zarontin. I recently switched jobs and with my new job I dont get insurance for 60 days so my medical insurance lapsed. When I went to Smith's Pharmacy, where my medications cost me like 50 bucks before, they charged me 650 bucks, but it bugged them that I had to pay that much so they called Costco's Pharmacy for me and matched their price so it ended up costing me about $250. Maybe if you look at not using your insurance and just paying out of pocket at Costco or something, it might help.

PS: You can call their Pharmacy and see how much it would cost you, I think. Thats what my Pharmacy did for me. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom