Increase In Complex Partial Seizures - Should I be Worried?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Abbie

New
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with epilepsy a year and a half ago and have complex partial seizures and tonic-clonic seizures. Since my medication was changed in February 2013 to Tegretol I have only had one tonic-clonic seizure (previously was having them every 4-6 weeks) and the frequency of the complex-partial seizures has decreased as the dose of Tegretol has been increased, before Christmas I had been 5 weeks without a seizure and 4 weeks prior to that seizure.
My seizures increased in January with my exams and had started to settle (one every 2 weeks) but in the last 2 weeks the seizures have become far more frequent. I had 3 last week, 2 on Tuesday and several Tuesday night. I think I may also have had seizures last night, I don't know for sure but I felt strange. I saw the doctor on Wednesday and he increased my medication but he seemed concerned about the increase in frequency of the seizures and I have to see him tomorrow and some time next week.
Does anyone know what could of caused this, should I be worried? I'm worried it could be leading to something big (maybe a tonic-clonic seizure) and that I'm going to end up in hospital.

Has your doctor given you a Video EEG? It sounds like that would be a good idea.

Stress can cause seizures and exams will bring it on.

Do you have a neurologist? You should ask to be referred by your doctor to one.

Welcome to CWE. It was made by Bernard out of love for his wife Stacy. That love has permeated throughout the whole forum.

Was referred to see a neurologist in Brighton in November after having a tonic-clonic seizure and eventually saw him in February and am due to see him again in 3 months. I've had an EEG done but I don't know if it was a video EEG I also had an MRI done.
The exams were in January so I don't know why they would have got so frequent in the last 2 weeks, they have never been this frequent while I have been on this medication

Abbie, how are you sleeping? I know lack of sleep has always been a trigger for me. Another thing I've found is that if I worry too much about having a seizure, that sometimes triggers one. OH OUR WONDERFUL BRAINS!
M

A regular EEG only shows up seizure activity if you have a seizure during the test.

A Video EEG is accurate. Ask your doctor for one.

Marika853, you are so right. I have insomnia and that increases my seizures. So does stress.

A Video EEG is accurate. Ask your doctor for one.

A Video EEG rather than a simple EEG brought me from simple partial activity in my sleep to no seizure activity. This is the troof. ;)

Years ago, my seizures started out as CP, just a few a week then increased to at least one a day then 2-3 a day and more. The docs didn't know why mine increased, either. Seizures beget seizures, so it is best to find a medication or something to stop those seizure ASAP. Otherwise they may become refractory. You may need more than one medication or try a different med. It is trial and error in the world of epilepsy. Make sure you get plenty of sleep, eliminate as much stress as you can, have them check your thyroid, have them check your glucose level--just to make sure everything is in check.

Abbie, how are you sleeping? I know lack of sleep has always been a trigger for me. Another thing I've found is that if I worry too much about having a seizure, that sometimes triggers one. OH OUR WONDERFUL BRAINS!
M
I don't think sleeps been too bad other than Tuesday and Wednesday night when I had seizures during the night, found it difficult to get to sleep last night. But there have been several days the last 2 weeks where I've spent most of the day asleep, or trying too. Maybe the headache I've been getting with the seizures has been keeping me from sleeping. I've had the headache with seizures before but don't remember it being as painful as it has been the last 2 weeks

Stress and lack of sleep are huge seizure triggers for me. If any of them are happening we know there is going to be on it's way soon. I also have horrible headaches after my seizures.

When I was first diagnosed with epilepsy it took about 3 years to figure out what meds would work good for me. I was put on several different combinations and dosages of meds. Some worked well, some I couldn't handle the side effects from, some caused me to have seizures and others didn't work at all.

I was still having a ton of seizures, probably around 20 a month sometimes more than one a day, after doing all of this. My neuro suggested getting a VNS to help with the seizures. I did get one and it has reduced the number of seizures that I have a month, around 7 now. I'm still taking meds along with it.

As the others said ask for some testing to be done. You may be to find some more answers with that.

Good luck!

Hi Valeriedl, Has your VNS worked for you?

You really went through a tough time. I went through the medicine-go-round to. I thought it would never end.

Yes it has helped a lot.

I am still having seizures and taking meds, as I said, but not as many and the seizures aren't nearly as bad as they were before I got it. I do still have some bad ones here and there though.

I'm really glad I got it.

Back
Top Bottom