Increase in dizziness from mutiple AED's?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Has anyone here on the forum ever had an increase in dizziness as a side effect when they went from taking only one AED to taking multiple AED's?

Stacy has experienced increased dizziness from just increasing the dosage of her mono-drug therapy before.

One area of research that seems lacking is the side effects of multiple medications for the same disorder. I take Dilantin and Keppra. They have some similar side effects and I wonder if this does more than just double the issue.

I have a lot of trouble with focus and concentration. No study seems to reference the impact of doubling these meds.

Anyone else have some references on dual meds???

Not I... just common sense, but they don't like to study that.

I've had some experiences in the past
being on 3-4-5 different AEDs
and you don't want to know ...
:roflmao:

But of course today, they've trimmed
the hedge bushes, whereas I'm down
to 2 AEDs plus Folic Acid.

However some of the AEDs
they had me in the past would have
left you going ....
:ponder:

:agree:

Good thing the past is in the past!

I get dizzy when I do not have food in my stomach to buffer the medicine. Two medicines, at the same time, cause me some bad problems....sometimes.

I get queezy when I take a vitamin on an empty stomach.

Actually I just had to stop to think and realize
I haven't eaten or do anything when I take my
anti-epileptic drug's in ages, with the
exception of those that are on the Allergy list,
which I had to take with a cracker or some bread
but other than that - I can pretty much down
all my meds with nothing but water or decafe
coffee or milk.

I never really thought much about it, even when
in the Hospital, when they gave me my meds with
water, Sprite/7-up/Pepsi, decafe or regular coffee,
milk, or juice - no food.

Interesting Question there and I never had any
problems with it.

When I took 200 mg Zonegran, 2 mg Folic Acid,
.5 Clonazepam (Klonopin) - all I had was a little
water and that was 2 hours ago.

===============

I had to sit here and think in the past, I've been
told to take my anti-epileptic drugs 1 or 2 hours
before I ate or after I ate. So if it's "dinner time",
I took it at 5 PM, and typically ate dinner around
6:30 - 7 PM anyway.

INTERESTING SUBJECT THERE!

I am not sure what the difference is. It may be the absorbtion rate of the medicine. Maybe some people have stronger acids and can, therefore, have the drug enter the bloodstream quicker. I know I have a very acidic stomach as I have ulcers, etc.

You bet I've experience dizziness. TTTTThese last couple of months I was taking 500mg of Zonegran which had caused me dizziness and pain stomach.But when I was admitted into the hospital and took me off Zonegran I quit having stomach pain and the dizziness decreased. But my nuerologist/epilepitologist diagnosed me with "vertigo" and deal with a lot of problems. Keep hanging in there and let know what's going on.

In his Presence,
David Hair

I have dizzy headed and weird feelings in my head from just lamictal. Has anyone felt short of breath at all? I've been on it a while..maybe it is coincidental. Just over-all "unwell" feeling :<<

Michelle

Dizziness?

I got awful side effects when I was first put on poly therapy.I cannot take more than 900mg/day gabapentin or i get such bad double vision that I walk into things,so my doc had to add another AED.He tried Lamotrigine,but the dizziness was more than I could cope with.Then I was tried on Epilim,which made me sleep for 18hrs a day...not good when you're a single mum with 3 kids:roflmao:Then Tegretol,which I was allergic to,it made my liver start to fail(I'm fine now,a spell in ICU sorted that),so he tried me on topiramate,which I'm also allergic to.I'm being Weaned off the topiramate,and am seeing my neuro soon,I will have a stay in Oldchurch hospital's Neuro unit being wired up and video taped again....NOT my idea of a holiday:roflmao:I wish there was more research into the side effects from poly therapy.

I went from all phenobarbital to Mysoline (s/b metabolized into phenobarbital) combined with small amounts of phenobarbital as a gradual transition to all Mysoline. Mysoline, in the beginning had nasty effects. I definitely did not feel like I had a good sense of balance or coordination. It was definitely the Mysoline.

Those side effects gradually went away.

Back
Top Bottom