Injury Prevention?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sparkles

New
Reaction score
Maybe this is a stupid question or maybe the answer is there is not prevention...

I live alone 1/2 time and the other 1/2 time I live with my two teens. I don't have frequent seizures, maybe once every month or two - partial complex - but when I do I fall, lose consciousness, lose memory, lose ability to talk. Last month and just yesterday I fell hard. I have injured myself in the past year with breaks, strains, sprains, pulls, frozen shoulder... Today I woke up to blood all over my couch, drops on the floor, and my pillow. It's from my head, which is hurting, a lot. But I also have serious bruises on my elbow and wrist. I'm sitting here at work so I don't get fired (long, annoying story), but wondering, do I have to walk around my house or in public wrapped in bubble wrap to avoid injury at this point? What can I do to prevent these injuries? There has to be something besides waiting for the next time and hoping it isn't worse than the last?

I've been trying to embrace this diagnosis - first it was seizures, complex partial seizures, then epilepsy, then hey, they're all the same thing and we told you all along. (I do like my neuro, mostly, though.) Now I'm feeling very grumpy about it and well, obviously filled with some self pity too. ;) But that seems par for the course for about a day or two post seizure. Sigh.

Do you experience 'auras'? Those quick 'warnings' right before the seizures? If so, do you have time to get yourself to a safe place, like maybe just go lie on the floor or sit down on the lawn if your outdoors. Or just sit on the floor if you're in a public place so at least you won't fall hard.

I sometimes get this sort of "buzzy" feeling in my head seconds before the seizure, but I have to be really paying attention and it has to be quiet. I've noticed it twice in my office when it was quiet and I was thinking/typing. When I'm at home, the TV is on or the kids are talking or there is just noise in general. I can't even remember what prompted me to get up last night. I remember sitting on the couch watching TV while the clothes were in the dryer, then I have some fuzzy memories of pain, letting the dogs outside and back inside, and deciding to go to bed - upstairs, no less. By then, though, the seizure had obviously passed, but still. I don't take the stairs when I'm post seizure, and rational. I awoke this morning with a headache and dried blood on my face and neck and when I went downstairs noticed dried blood on the back of the couch where I'd been sitting, followed droplets to the stairs, up the stairs, and on my pillow. I know it hurt when I washed my hair but sheesh. I wish my brain would just tell my body to park it for the few minutes it takes for the falling part to pass, especially when I'm alone. Or well, I'm glad my kids missed it. They've had to call 911 in the past and spend the night at the neighbor's. That's not good, though they were much younger then - before I, or any doctor, really suspected seizures (I was diagnosed with complex migraines). Anyway, I guess I'm really reaching here. I'm tired of falling and getting hurt, but then, aren't we all? Preventing the seizure in the first place is the answer I guess.

Thanks, Cint!

A physical therapist told me that the more balanced your muscles are overall, the more support they provide if you suffer a fall. So it can't hurt (and might help) to strengthen any areas that are weak, particularly around your core (back and abdomen). If you've injured your shoulder, ask your doc or p.t. what exercises you can do to strengthen the area.

Other than that, there's not a whole lot you can do if you don't get a warning. I hope your neuro can help you get things under control.

Thanks, Nakamova. I should exercise more in general. But my core especially is weak. I stopped by the urgent care place on the way home from work and they decided to run a CT scan. Thankfully there is no brain bleed but I was sent home with a list of things to keep an eye on, which would be easier if I had someone else checking. I'm wondering now how to get the blood stain off my couch. I tried oxyclean this morning but it didn't work. :/

Nakamova, thank you so much. What an awesome site! I will try the first method after work today.

I'm happy to say I woke up with my head hurting less. I had some weird, vivid dreams and restless sleep, but at least the headache is better. I found a lot more bruises too, now that I'm more alert. Fortunately, or unfortunately I guess, I'm getting better dealing with the bruises and aches that come post seizure. Ice packs and heating pads, Aleve and Tylenol, rest and water...

Happy Tuesday. May it be a seizure free day.

Back
Top Bottom