Intro and Absence Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Momof3

New
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to this forum and spent some time last night reading some posts. First of all, I have to say that I'm not a big fan of forums because people have a tendency to be harsh toward others that they do not agree with. That does NOT seem to be the case here! I'm sad to need to join such a forum, but at the same time, I'm hoping to get some answers from some caring adults in the same boat as myself.

My husband and I are expecting our 3rd baby and just found out that our oldest, who will be 3 next week, is having absence seizures. The neuro we saw was ready to prescribe a medication but we said we would rather wait. We would like to try some other ways first to manage his seizures, which is why I'm here. Here are some things I've read about trying:
Omega 3s
Manganese
Find out about food allergies
Gluten-free diet
Keto diet

My husband and I have a theory that our son's seizures seem worse after he has watched a lot of TV and/or played on our phone a lot. Has anyone else noticed that or is it just in our heads?

We've started a log to see how many he has. We know it's not many a day, but right now he's taking his nap and he has had 8 so far today, which is more than I realized he was having, so the log is definitely good for me to see.

I would love to hear about other supplements that people have tried, since we would like to start there. Also, what kind of doctor should I see? We did not care for the neuro that did his EEG and it was clear they did not want us back after we said no to the medication. Our regular pedi said we needed to see the neuro about anything related to the seizures. I feel so lost. I need to try something else before trying the meds, but I also feel like I need the guidance of a doctor.

By the way, the seizures just started and he is definitely not having the 50-100 a day that other people experience. He is on track developmentally in all other areas.

Basically, if you have helped yourself or your child without using the meds, I would LOVE to hear from you! We understand that we may need the meds, but we have to try something else first.

Thanks for all your help!!

I have seizures if I look at a computer/tv/phone screen too long as well (mine are tonic clonic, though). I simply limit myself to 2 hours MAXIMUM of total screen time a day. I know it might be hard to pull him away from SpongeBob (I love that show just as much as a 3 year old), but it has really helped me! Good luck!

Hi Momof3, welcome to CWE!

There has been a decent amount of success using the MAD (Modified Atkins Diet) to treat Absence Seizures. More info here: http://www.atkinsforseizures.com/

Any chance you can find a pediatric neurologist, ideally one who is familiar with the dietary approach?

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom