Intro

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Greetings. I am a veterinarian. Found this link as I was searching for answers, after observing a massive spike in seizure activity in dogs this past week. Looking for common ground. I have had a number of dogs in the past that were "barometers", and often seizured ahead of a weather front, but this increase in previously normal dogs has me puzzled. Looking for an electromagnetic/ solar/ or other alteration in environment. Given the weather patterns of the past week, I am seeking induction/
alteration of brain wave pattern.

Thanks! I have been down several rabbit holes today. Even looked at HAARP, given the massive tornado activity.

I wonder if infrasound associated with storm conditions could be a trigger for seizures in susceptible dogs (because of their ability to hear high-pitched noises.)

BTW, I have read much of Dr. Robert Becker's work on the effects of electromagnetic fields. Intriguing stuff. The dogs that we have seen, are animals without a previous history of epilepsy. 5 cases in my practice since last week. And, there are others, as one of my clients said that she was hearing about seizures in dogs owned by her co-workers. Something is amiss.

Hi PBroadfoot, welcome!

Has there been any feeding differences, assuming you are working in the same local area? Your post just made me think of a spike in colic with horses. It was due to a bad batch of hay that had spores invisible to the naked eye so owners couldn't pick it so easily. I wonder if there has been a certain dog food introduced at local stockfeeders/pet shops etc or a shortage of regularly used dog food?

Stress, diet, noise/air pollution, bacteria, water contamination also spring to mind. Just throwing it out there. I really hope there is nothing sinister going on, like kids throwing baits/poison into back gardens?

No really common ground here, as far as diet, breed, age, etc. All are on varied diets, and the dogs range from a young border collie cross, to a Peke cross, to an older Labrador that has never had seizures. She is the most afflicted and is disoriented and pacing.

Interesting....I'm a veterinarian technician so I should ask at work when I go back if they have noticed any increases.

I had a cocker spaniel that I raised from about 8 weeks old. I was a stay at home mom and she was such a good dog. After the kids got older and were all in school full time I got bored around the house and took on a part time job. Stormy (the dog) showed her displeasement by doing all kinds of naughty things around the house. I came home one day to a mess and scolded her. Not in a harsh mean way, but she knew she had been naughty. Thats when her seizures started. Our vet at the time couldnt find anything really wrong with her except that she was having seizures. Final conclusion was that it was emotional. Going from somebody ALWAYS at home with her, to being alone during the day. I ended up giving her to an older gentelman who had lost his cocker a year prior and was lonely. She never had another seizure. I dont know if this helps you, but maybe something they all have in common is an emotional upset of some kind. ??

Back
Top Bottom