Is everyday a reset for your brain?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jun

New
Reaction score
Usually when I have auras, they usually lead to seizures.
Has anyone ever had aura's and not had seizures? does it mean the seizure is immanent, even if it's the next day, and etc?.....or does going to sleep reset the brain and the threat from the initial auras are gone.....?

for me...its my warning sign...just a matter of days...always at night though...I never get out of it...

Auras are pretty much simple partial seizures, they are usually called auras when followed by another seizure eg complex partial, tonic clonic.

I used to have auras which were usually followed by a complex partial or tonic clonic but sometimes they didn't go any further. I had surgery in 2011 & was 2 years seizure free until I started having seizures again.
Now I have focal seizures (like simple partials), my auras are now different to what they were pre surgery & I am alert the whole time.

Has anyone ever had aura's and not had seizures? does it mean the seizure is immanent, even if it's the next day, and etc?.....or does going to sleep reset the brain and the threat from the initial auras are gone.....?

Like CQ, I also had brain surgery for E and was seizure free for two-years, including NO auras. Then the seizures were back, sometimes with an aura, sometimes not. After many meds and now the VNS, I sometimes only experience an aura, or as CQ said, a simple-partial seizure.

Sleep is important for those of us with E. Lack of it can reduce the seizure threshold, although some folks do have only nocturnal seizures.

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/impact/sleep-and-epilepsy
How are sleep and epilepsy connected?
We all know that we think more clearly, react more quickly, and generally perform better after a good night's sleep. And while a good night’s sleep plays a key role in the overall well-being and health of all people it is even more vital in people with epilepsy.
One reason why is because a lack of sleep or poor quality of sleep can in turn increase frequency of seizures. The reasons why sleep deprivation provokes seizures are unclear, but here are a few thoughts.
We know that the sleep-wake cycle is associated with prominent changes in brain electrical activity, so seizures and the sleep-wake cycle are often clearly related.
We also know that most types of seizures are affected by sleep, although the degree varies greatly from type to type and patient to patient.
There are hormonal changes during sleep that could possibly be related to seizures.
Finally, the effects of seizures and seizure medicines on the quality of your sleep can make the relationship even more complicated.

Like Carpentergirl a aura is a sign I think that I am in a period of increased risk for a seizure or seizures although they they might night occur right awa, I will usually have one. Good sleep always help!

my mom and I were talking today about it...(we always have long talks after my seizures)...we both agree that the auras are "warning signs" that I'm not taking care of myself like I should...and it could be little things like not putting myself first like I should..not getting enough sleep...I have so many responsibilities....and even though I try to get rid of the stress in my life...I still don't do a good job of getting rid of it...

It is a hard thing to do, my wife says the same things but doing what you need to do is easier said than done as they say.

I know...i struggle with thus all the time...i also struggle with stress of the boyfriend and my daughter getting along with his daughters... and then having to defend all that against my protective immediate family...you throw that all on top of making sure you can work and make money and pay bills and stay healthy it's quite a load...i think about it all all the time and constantly worry about making sure everyone is happy and getting along...and I know I need to just not give a shit anymore ...it's causing too much grief ....

Like CQ said, auras ARE seizures.

I have them all the time, many every day. Sometimes they are so light I'm not sure they are there, other times they are distracting, or even scary if I think I might have a bigger one. Most of the time it's just annoying.

However, you need treated for them. If you are having them, you are having seizures, and everything that goes along with it like memory loss, fatigue, confusion, etc. If you don't stop them they can get worse and never go away. And, of course it makes you more likely to have big ones.

Sleeping may help, but don't hesitate to see your doctor about it. They are seizures.

Family can be a stress and a blessing both, my immediate is supporting but is hard to explain what you go through after a seizure and the importance of minimizing triggers, my wife will even whisper no seizures to me when I am under stress.You have a lot going on so take care the best you can

Hehehe, my brain resets every morning, to the same happy go lucky me. Then I walk out the door and things can change.

The other day, i thought i had an aura but it turned out to be nothing, just a dud. My first signs are numbness and tingling in my finger tips. But since a long ago seizure i have numbness all the time in the 3 fingers were the seizures normally start, so it can be misleading. Oh well, i know it is happening when it moves further up my hand and when the jerking motions start, that's when i know i better take my emergency pills, quick like.

I liken an aura to that of firecrackers going off, and whether or not more firecrackers go off until the whole brick of firecrackers start exploding and all mayhem starts.

Zolt

:piano: :pop:

Back
Top Bottom