Is genetic testing worthwhile?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Just wondering as I hear more and more about drugs being focused based on individual genetic dispositions. Curious if anyone had genetic testing done to better understand their type of epilepsy or for drug selection and if they felt it was worthwhile?

I did an inexpensive genetic test that maps a certain number of genes, then interprets for many diseases and effects but not all things.

Here's where I went:

https://www.23andme.com/

It was only $99, and I feel it was well worth it for me.

If you have specific genetic questions for which they don't interpret your genes, you have to dig and find the specific gene linked to that disorder or drug reaction, then look it up in your gene map. So far every gene I've needed for that purpose was mapped by 23andme, just not interpreted by them. So yes, I had to do research on the name of the specific gene and what to look for. Then I used another online interpretation tool to look for that gene and do the interpretation myself. There are postings in the forum community in 23andme on how to do that.

I know there are other sites in addition to 23andme. A google search pops up a bunch of them.

Genetic testing is also available through professional testing and interpretation by a genetic counselor. I've heard this is a pricey option costing thousands. Sometimes insurance will cover it for certain conditions.

Hi Dignan,
I didn't have a genetics test done because all of my family have tonic clonic seizures and I have absence and complex partial so
my Dr. told me he already knew it wasn't genetic. I did have a DNA test done to find out what seizure med would work the best for me
and it was then my Dr. found out I was drug resistant to all seizure meds out on the market now so I started using cbd (med. marijuana)
and to my surprise my seizures decreased. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom