Is it normal to have a headache the day after a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mike758

New
Reaction score
I had a seizure for the first time in my life in school yesterday, and had to be taken to the hospital. I won't have the diagnosis really til Friday and I don't really know what happend, but apparently I fell out of my chair and had convolsions for 2 minutes.

Anyway though, I feel alright today but my head hurts inside when I shake my head back and forth and my neck and lower back are really sore. I'm wondering if this is normal?

The headache may be from the seizure. It is not uncommon to have them, but it is probably relative to the soar muscles in your back or neck which come with the territory of a T/C seizure.

If you stick around or read, you'll find out there are many types of seizures and none are completely the same for everyone.

I've had few T/C seizures. Only one lasted long, but yes I had a lot of soar muscles and just stayed in bed all day after that.

Relax and have a better day,
Sper

Hi Mike758, welcome to CWE!

Yep, the headache and back pain are normal. The body gets put through the wringer during a convulsive seizure, and you may have hit your head on the floor too. It's also possible that the doctors did a spinal tap at the hospital, which can also cause a nasty headache. (The spinal tap is often done with a new-onset seizure to rule out an infection such as meningitis).

It's okay to take some Tylenol or Ibuprofen to help with the aches and pains. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, and getting enough to eat -- that will help as well. Be patient and allow your back muscles to heal on their own. be careful not to sleep or move in ways that make the aches worse.

I hope your seizure was a one-off. Do you have any idea about what might have triggered it? Fatigue often plays a role, but there can be all sorts of factors. Did they do an EEG in the hospital? Feel free to check back in here with any questions before or after your Friday appointment.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi Mike758, welcome to CWE!

Yep, the headache and back pain are normal. The body gets put through the wringer during a convulsive seizure, and you may have hit your head on the floor too. It's also possible that the doctors did a spinal tap at the hospital, which can also cause a nasty headache. (The spinal tap is often done with a new-onset seizure to rule out an infection such as meningitis).

It's okay to take some Tylenol or Ibuprofen to help with the aches and pains. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, and getting enough to eat -- that will help as well. Be patient and allow your back muscles to heal on their own. be careful not to sleep or move in ways that make the aches worse.

I hope your seizure was a one-off. Do you have any idea about what might have triggered it? Fatigue often plays a role, but there can be all sorts of factors. Did they do an EEG in the hospital? Feel free to check back in here with any questions before or after your Friday appointment.

Best,
Nakamova

Yea I had a cat scan, urine sample, blood test, which were all negative and I will go over the results of the EEG and lime disease test Friday with a neurologist. I do have a few questions though, 1 is will I be fine going to school tomorrow? The ER said I would be fine to go back tomorrow and Friday, so I assume the chances will be thin of me having another one before seeing the neurologist?

And 2, what are the chances they provoke my drivers license. If that gets revoked, I will lose my job and wouldn't be able to drive to school (I would get to school a half hour early by bus with no other seniors there)?

More than likely, you'll be fine tomorrow. It took me one day to get back to a decent condition to work. Who knows what the chances of having another seizure within the next few days is. That's something at this point that no one can predict.

As Nick said, it's tough to predict, but it's a good sign that the ER docs gave you the green light to go back to the school. If there were anything immediately concerning on the EEG, they would have cautioned you against doing and against driving.

As for having your license revoked -- that depends on the laws in your state. Some of the states rely on the recommendation of the doctor as to whether you are safe to drive. Your license wouldn't be revoked, but it might be illegal for you to drive until a certain period of seizure-free months have elapsed.

Hi Mike welcome to CWE

It's very normal to feel some muscle pain and a headache. I know for myself that I feel aches and pains afterwards may last for a couple days. I just had a T/C last week feeling pretty good today. I like to think of it as a good workout. lol

hope you're feeling better soon !

Back
Top Bottom