Is it safe to drive now?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi,

I have posted a few topics on here but just a quick update for the past 3 months my husband has been having "episodes" which can last from 1 min to 15 min and can have up to 15 a day. During this time he blanks out and fiddles with whatever is to hand and can't talk but knows what it is going on around him afterwards he has a headache and is so tired. He also had a numbness all over his body and difficulty in speaking forgetting words and switching his words around so. We saw a neurologist who ordered a mri scan which we had 2 weeks ago but still not had any results so we assume it was clear otherwise we would have heard. Then 3 days ago the episopes just stopped. He was advised to stop driving but now he feels he can drive because its been 3 days. Considering he was having them every day and on no medication is it safe to assume that it was not epilepsy and can drive now. He still has the numbness all over his body which is worse in the bath or direct sunlight. He was checked for a stroke at the beginning but that was proved negative.

many thanks
Penny

Hi Penney,

Hope all is well! I really think the Doctors would say absolutely no to driving. Sorry..I know that isn't easy..just what I am pretty sure they would say. If legs are numb..that could be a problem or you could have the "spell" at any time. They do sound alot like seizures.
Just a thought..I think you were waiting on the MRI results..but I know heat can make MS worsen..( specifally hot showers etc.) I would ask if they really checked for that. I believe in about 5 % of cases it may not show up on MRI. Not that it is that or to worry you..but something to ask about. I am certainly not an expert or a Dr., or trying to worry you more, I am going through similar problems right now. I do have seizures..but something else is going on as well. I truly understand the worry and how anxious you must be. I hope y'all get answers very soon and can start feeling better! : ) I will say some extra prayers for you both!

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Many thanks for your reply and for your prayers much appreciated. I told him the same but says that to go 3 days without any after 3 months of constant ones it means it has gone but I will persuade him not to drive till we see neurologist but so annoying been awaiting over 2 weeks for results. No one has mentioned MS to us but just read up on it and much agree the numbness and heat does sound like him so will mention that to doctor when we see him.

Many thanks
Penny

Penney,

I agree..I know it is extremely hard. It is hard to not be in control..it could be seizures..but it certainly cannot hurt to ask alot of questions and rule out other things too. It would be nice if it were always an easy answer. I am sure he is scared..but doesn't want to admit it. Besides going through the actual symptoms..I think we also go through a whole battery of feelings..worry, denial, depression etc..all of which are a normal response to having the illness/seizures or whatever it may be. It is very hard on the spouse/family too. I am totally going through all of this as well. Don't forget to write down everything..anything that is going on, even if you think it isn't a big deal. Also, any questions for the Drs.
They should be happy to answer them. I will forget things and then get home and remember. Now I write it all down..including the Drs. answers. And call in between if anything arises or you have a certain question/concern..that is why they are there. Take good care!

Michelle : ))

Just my two cents: I would say Hallelujah to 3 days no seizures! Then I would not drive until you get the results of the MRI and talk to the doctor.
My seizures got worse in 97. I had to surrender my driver's license; it was a real safety issue. Then they got better. But not good enough. To get my license back I have to be seizure free for six months. I'll have a good run, then POW. The unpredictability of them is the unnerving part. So, I haven't driven in 10 years.
Encourage your husband to be patient about this. It's a trial and error thing and he'll have good days and bad.
Good luck.

Having just been taken off the road (for the nth time) myself, I know how frustrating this can be. However, it is far better to deal with a few months or even years of not driving than it is to be involved in a car wreck.
My advice is to be patient. 3 days without a seizure is great, but it isn't enough in the eyes of most neurologists.

Hi Penny, I wouldn't recommend driving until you know what caused the seizures. They could return as suddenly as they stopped.

An MRI will only show docs if there is a physical problem like a tumor, cyst, scar tissue, etc. It doesn't show if the brain is exhibiting epileptiform activity like an EEG can.

Has he been tested for blood sugar problems? Circulatory/cardiac problems?

Hi Penny! I agree with everybody that posted above. It's great that your hubby has gone 3 days with no episodes. But I wouldn't let him drive. Not yet. Wait till the MRI results come back and you get to talk to the neurologist. If he's waited 3 months, then waiting until his next doctor's appt. should be no problem.

Thank you

Hi,

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their replies and have taken it all on board and spoken to him and persuaded him not to drive till we see neurologist. Thank goodness. Unfortunately, he had a big one tonight so really depressed thought they had gone stupid I know but being new to this he did not realise they can come and go. He was celebrating after going 3 days without one. Will keep you all updated.

Penny

Sure you have the answer to the drivivng Peny, just wanted to throw my two-cent in.

What our husband has sounds very close to my my complex-partial seizures. I lose focus, can't talk very well, if at all, can't focus to move. it usually starts with a feeling of de-ja-vu.

I had them for about 10 years with no idea of what they were (went to ER 5 years ago but Dr there had no clue).

I'd recommend the same as the others. No driving till you know. I KNOW it's a pain, i really do, but it's not worth it. when i use to drive before sometimes it was all i could do to get the car pulled over when i felt one coming.

I'll go two-3 days having them, then be fine for a few months sometimes, so you never know when they can hit.

Good luck to you.

John

I know what you guys mean. Seizures can sneak up on you at any time. I haven't driven in about ten years and I don't miss it. The way gas prices are now I couldn't afford to drive. If I need to go anywhere I just take the bus. The price of gas will just keep going up. I remember when gas was 98 cents a gallon. Right now gas is $4.00 a gallon. The weather where I live feels like a desert.

$5.00 for mini/serve here in L.A. Hawke.

This is a good time of year to take up another form of transportation. Not easy to give up the reins, but it might feel better after a few weeks of doing it differently.

Robin,
By the time your daughter grows up and has children. The price of gas will probablly be 10 to 20 dollars a gallon.

*shudder* remember the Carter years? The lines of cars waiting to get to the gas pumps.....

Back
Top Bottom