Is it usual to wake someone from seizure when it just started?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

something

New
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is usual to be able to awake someone by constent noices, pinching etc. someone who just started having the seizures?

Hi something - welcome to our friendly group.

I don't think that is common. Perhaps with a Psychogenic seizure you might be able to snap them out of one, but even with that type, it is the brain in control.

I have read where somepeople talk gently with the person having the seizure, and afterwards the person says they have been able to hear the comforting words, but not be able to respond to them. I guess it is possible to shortchange a seizure event.

I do not put anything past this disorder. It is nutty and obnoxious, and has a complete mind of its own.

Do you want to share your story?

Hi something, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Usual? No, not in my experience or my understanding. Doesn't mean it can't happen though.

Hello!...

My wife Renee has 'disturbed' my seizures by talking to me...changing the level of severity.

When I was much younger I had petit mal in which I could hear my parents but could not talk to them.

Epilepsy = enigma.

:ponder:

Thanks for the warm welcome

My sister has been diagnosed with left temporal lobe epilepsy from the EEG findings. It's not psychogenoc since all her symptoms concord with the EEG findings and has symptoms unusual for psychogenic. Like urinating during the seizure, the metalic taste, the déjà vu's jamais vus etc. She is very sensible to noise and light.

During the first EEG (I don't have the results for the other two, which were used for the diagnosis), she has left temporal lobe slowing with the flashing lights. From what the neurologist said on the thid one (sleep depreved) there was the slowing then the spikes. So I assumed that of the frequency is increasing the amplitude which causes the discharge.

I tested this on the basis that if I can increase the frequency and prevent more slowing just at the beginning it will prevent the spikes. It seems to work half of the time, pinching and position changing seems to work best.

So my hypothesis is that in some form of epilepsy the spikes are a defense mechanism by the brain to fight against an anomalious slowing. This is concordant with the experiments on neurofeedback, when they attempt to increase the frequency and decrease the amplitude. So perhaps by increasing the frequency the same amount of energy can be released with less amplitude.

Hi something - welcome to our friendly group.

I don't think that is common. Perhaps with a Psychogenic seizure you might be able to snap them out of one, but even with that type, it is the brain in control.

I have read where somepeople talk gently with the person having the seizure, and afterwards the person says they have been able to hear the comforting words, but not be able to respond to them. I guess it is possible to shortchange a seizure event.

I do not put anything past this disorder. It is nutty and obnoxious, and has a complete mind of its own.

Do you want to share your story?

Last edited:
It makes sense.

I am in a little shock those days, as I am sure I have epilepsy too, I never really paid attention to my déja vus, jamais vus, my never ending continous (as if progressive) memory decline, the metalic taste and weird smell which comes and goes and when I have it, it sound as if I already smelled it. I am constently hit without reason (light makes it worst though) having the buzz in my head depersonalization and losing sights for a moment. All her symptoms..., I just knew recently with my sisters diagnostic that it's not normal.

My wife Renee has 'disturbed' my seizures by talking to me...changing the level of severity.

When I was much younger I had petit mal in which I could hear my parents but could not talk to them.

Epilepsy = enigma.

:ponder:

ryan said he woke or tryed to wake me up from a sz, but when i come around a lot of the time, i would not remmbed and i end up shuting what are you doing. or talkingin my sleep. and not now i'm doing it.

take care
caz

I am wondering if it is usual to be able to awake someone by constent noices, pinching etc. someone who just started having the seizures?

Hello again Something,

I've been told that I've had people talk to me, shake me,
twist my arm, thrust needles in me - including between
my nails, pinch me, slap me, pour water on me, put ice
on me, I cannot remember what all - but many times I
did not come out of it or if I did they would "see it in my
eyes" which would be uneven, shifting, out of position,
glassy, and as well as my skin would be pale, and every-
thing else associated with it. And not to even mention
sticking "smelling salts" up in my nose (ammonia capsules).

Why? They (Medical Personnel) were trying to wake me
up and get me out of the seizure mode.

My (ex) husband used to yell at the Medics and Hospital
Personnel for doing this to me, and they just did not believe
I was having any seizure(s), or if I was coming out of it and
in postictal stage, my speech would be slurred, just would
not be in sync at all, but sometimes when the seizure starts
my speech would go slurred or I wouldn't make sense; or if
worse, if it was back-to-back seizures or SE.

It was really frustrating for my (ex) husband to tell them
(Medical) to KNOCK IT OFF. I had been diagnosed with
Epilepsy but he didn't understand what THEIR problem was.
I don't have any memory of this, however, after when I
come to and coming out of it.

For example, I never could figure out why the heck my toenail
and fingernail was hurting like "hell" and why it felt like 'fire' and
why they had shoddy little band-aid on me, and mind you, that
H-U-R-T!!!

:mad:

Even though I was half in and half out my (ex) husband would
tell me what all they did, and YOU WONDERED why I walked
out of the Hospital many times and didn't stay there?

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF ALL THESE THINGS WERE DONE
TO YOU? I've had bruises on my arms and legs that were from
THEM, and I've had redness on the side of my face, to which
sort of embarrassed my (ex) husband because it made HIM
look like HE slapped me, but he didn't, THEY DID. As for needles
stuck on my body and worse in my nails, never knowing it until
I came out of postictal - and in 50/50 in sync, never mind to the
fact, it HURT, especially those in the nails, the black and blue
would be there for as long as a few days to a week, depending
on how thick of a needle they used.

They told my (ex) husband that it was "Standard Procedure",
I hated this, it seemed that they were hurting me more than
the seizure(s) were itself; while true I have gotten injured by
the seizures, but THEY made it worse! I never wanted to go to
the Hospital, but of course, I was unconscious, didn't have much
of any say-so.

So there you have it, but that's all in the past. They do not
do this anymore that I know of to my knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom