• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 80 97.6%
  • Bit of both

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm sitting here

giggling at the thought of "idea showers" or "thought showers" instead of the word brainstorming. I'm sorry, it's an everyday word using in the work world, and even in places like Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and in school classes to get the ideas flowing.

I have no problem with "brainstorming" when it's being using in the above context. I do have problems with inappropriate labels.....

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me!" That was true when I was told it as a kid and it is even more true as an adult. It bothers me more that people get offended by names than the actual names.

what is this world coming to-------soon we won't be able to say anything,just not to offend anyone,

I actually laughed out loud when I read the title to this post. People seriously need to lighten up.

This is so bad. I'm a board member of the Epilepsy Association of Utah and we've been spending the week including Camp Brainstorm as one of the options for the new name of our Summer camp. I sure hope nobody's hurt by Camp Brainwave, Seize the Moment, NeuroRevolution or Carpe Diem.

Turns out six years later our old name of Spike & Wave has a copyright in Texas.

Ha! Seriously? I would have never thought of it either, to me that's sitting around thinking of ideas for a job, project, etc. Yeah, I'll try that next time, "Let's all sit down and try some idea showers!" Gimme a break.
And I agree with the labelling too... definately prefer in conversation saying, 'I have epilepsy' rather than 'I'm an epileptic.' Really don't care for that word.

I love to brainstorm. I find it quite enlightening. I wish I could do it more with people of like minds.
PC has gone way overboard.

For 46 years the term never fazed me. Now since I've had E for over 11 years it still doesn't.

Just to be clear, "Epileptic," "Diabetic", "Paraplegic", etc are perfectly valid as straight adjectives. It's perfectly reasonable to speak of an Epileptic Seizure, or a Diabetic Coma. I just think they communicate a subtle disrespect when they sneakily assume their noun forms, and this usage should be avoided if possible.

I am glad that this was brought up. How many of us have a good use of the terminology of the English Language? I know that I do not.

I feel that my illnesses and my one disease are a part of me. I am not worried how people refer or about me. I care about how people feel about me as a person. I have always told people that I have epilepsy. I was diagnosed in 1949. I told everyone that I have epilepsy or that I am an epileptic. I also have diabetes or that I am a diabetic. I was diagnosed with diabetes over 14 years ago.

Now, I have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. I tell everyone that I have AD. Now, people do not know whether to believe what I say or not. I have to prove to people what I say is true. I am trying to educate people. Did you know that it is "still in the closet." My friends all know that I have AD. They are still my friends.

I feel that if people, who claim to be my friends, do not speak to me anymore, never were true friends.

Brain Storming has never bothered me. I will never understand why some people are bothered by it.

The more PC (politicly correct) something is the more offensive it is, the act of not using the word implies that it is offensive which then makes it offensive. being a metaphor 'brainstorming' can be interpreted in different ways, given the context of its use dictates wether it is offensive or not. I don't believe that it is an offensive term, and I would laugh if someone asked me if I'd been brainstorming recently (obviously directed as of meaning having had a seizure).... I have a dark sense of humour, its the only way. lol thought showers! But I suppose it depends on how sensitive an individual is as to wether they find it offensive or not.

Nice to meet you goldfinch,

If someone asked me if I had been brainstorming recently, I would tell them that I am not that smart. I do not brainstorm, as a rule. Maybe I do and I do not know it.

Does doing research mean that I am brainstorming?

told that he is not allowed to use the term "brainstorm" anymore, and must use "idea showers" instead. The reason? It’s offensive to people with epilepsy...

OMG "idea showers"??! That's ridiculous!
I'm actually offended that someone would think I would be offended by that term. lol.

Last edited:
I feel that every generation finds the previous generations terms offensive. How long will it be until the term “special needs” is found offensive. You could argue everyone has special needs so why would you single out people with developmental issues.

No,not in the slightest,but as we are all diffirent and have our own uniqe personalitys then some people might.I can think off a lot more deograty words than brainstoming,

"Brainstorming" isn't at all offensive being called an "Epileptic" is extremely offensive!!!! That's why it's a word that is no longer in the medical vocabulary of the British Medical authorities,thankfully!

"Brainstorming" isn't at all offensive being called an "Epileptic" is extremely offensive!!!! That's why it's a word that is no longer in the medical vocabulary of the British Medical authorities,thankfully!

You're so right Elaine, I HATE the word epileptic. I've noticed many other members have said the same thing from time to time. It's just an ugly word no matter how you look at it.

Brainstorming is actually what we all are doing here.Giving each other support and advice that may be useful.

Elaine, what do you use for the adjective for epilepsy in the UK? I try to avoid using the word "epileptic" because it is offensive to some people. I do not want to use a word that offends even one person.

I have to figure out how to use the word "epilepsy" as a noun every time I write a sentence. I have to avoid the adjective, "epileptic." :ponder:

Now, we are Brain Storming.

Elaine, what do you use for the adjective for epilepsy in the UK? I try to avoid using the word "epileptic" because it is offensive to some people. I do not want to use a word that offends even one person.

I have to figure out how to use the word "epilepsy" as a noun every time I write a sentence. I have to avoid the adjective, "epileptic." :ponder:

Now, we are Brain Storming.

Saying that I'm is Epileptic isn't offensive to me, but saying I am AN Epileptic is offensive. It seems to be the same thing almost, but the second one, calling someone AN epileptic, is like saying that the person's only definition or identity is a person that has Epilepsy. Saying that someone is Epileptic doesn't have the connotation of identity. I don't know if that makes sense to other people. I tried to explain the same thing to my mom once, and she just looked at me weird.

Back
Top Bottom