Is this normal? My question landing pad

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So I just don't know where to go since I have questions and I can't seem to find a spacific place on the Internet that has answers I'm looking for. I'm going to use this place for questions as they come cause I'm not that organized..

So my seizure (partial absence) was on last Thursday but my brain is still fighting to catch up on some things.. its like someone says pink and I repeat green back and no matter how much they say pink I swear I say pink back but it comes out green and then my brain corrects it a few hours later (ish, lastnight it corrected a problem in my sleep and I was aware of the issue I was having...)

Well, then there is this whole feeling like I know the habbits and rituals and what not of this person (me) but that I do and don't feel like the same person.. not that its bad.. just feeling sorta not myself.. its like being in a play and knowing your lines and all but when will I feel normal? And then I realize it might take adjusting to meds, life with new diagnosis and new life habbits and so on...

Any way, any tips would be helpful and so would encouragement even if you don't know what I'm going through :) Thanks to any and all who read and respond!

Blessings
~Abi:soap:

Last edited:
Hi abi --

I know after some tonic-clonic seizures it's taken me a good long time for my brain to get back to "normal" -- almost up to a month. With a simple partial, the recovery time should be shorter, but it can still take a while. Are you on any meds? Sometimes those can make the brain fog worse. Is it possible that you are still having seizures? That could also be a factor.

One more thing -- make sure you are sleeping, eating, and drinking properly. I was very dehydrated after my last seizure and didn't realize it. Until I was re-hydrated in the ER I was a zombie.

Hey Nakamova~

I am on topamax, antidepressants and thyroid meds. But until today not getting enoug rest. My food allergy induced double ear infection kept me up lastnight :( And unfortunately I have no clue if I'm haveing any more seizures because no one around me has seen me have one but my friend and maybe my kids :(

Yeah, maybe just my body adjusting.. in the last 11 months I've given birth and lost 85 pounds and on top of that been fighting a year and a half long migraine and now a seizure and I was already having a hard time with pain.. I don't know.

Those are great things to think about and I am certainly very thirsty all the time now..

Thanks Nakamova
Abi

Topomax is also known as 'Dopomax' -- maybe it's contributing to the brain fog?

Nakamova~

So far it started out that way, but when the doc up'd my antidepressants (I'm still at the low end of antidepressants and Topamax) it seemed to help and I think if he can up the antidepressants just a hair more it will help, because it was what gave me energy back. That and the sleep helps :) But I've noticed a lot more head pain even if I drink lots of water and eat plenty of food (the right food too since I am very luckily allergic to the wrong for me foods).. Maybe lack of sleep and stress? And a bit of fear might finally be setting in that I'm dealing with something I don't know anything about alone all day with two kids... who are 2 and under.. Yes my wonderful husband works from home, but that doesn't mean he can come out of his office at any time.. it's a real job with real hours and what not.. he doesn't set his own time or anything.. So that stress is sorta getting to me.. :'(

There are days that I lay on the couch in agony from head pain and my husband has to keep working and help with the kids as I sleep and rest.. and same thing with the seizures.. I'm guessing I might have had them before...

Sorry to get all emotional and spaz out on you :( I'm just trying not to freak out as my husband goes back to work tomorrow and I go back to being full time stay at home stuck at home mom... :/ (Sorry, I'm not usually this down.. just upset.. like cry my eyes out upset)

Thanks for being a pillar Nakamova!!
Abi

It sounds like you've got a lot going on -- I hope you feel better and can get a good night's sleep soon. The ear infection is probably making everything harder. Even with just one med it can take some tweaking to optimize its dosage. And you've got three! I hope you and your doc can make the adjustments that will minimize the side effects and maximize your wellbeing.

Nakamova~

Yes, I have a lot going on. I got a good night's sleep though and that helped so much, I can already tell. Maybe a good breakfast and more water will help and a visitor if possible..

Again, thanks for always being here for me. You really are the sweetest!!

All my best,
Abi <3<3

I have also noticed that my head has these short bursts of pain till I go to bed like my body is telling me to go to bed.. its only a few seconds long every few moments but its very painful. Anyone have any ideas what this is? Its been going on for 3 or 4 days in a row..

And I seem to alter one feeling good day then the next day my head is hurting and I'm not as good.. not as bad as I used to be thankfully. But enough that keeps me on the couch and unable to keep up with most normal things I already wasn't able to do. Maybe still adjusting?

Thanks to whomever reads and responds! Encouragement is always welcome as I am clueless.

Blessings,
Abi

So yesterday sucked.. I woke up feeling good.. then all of a sudden I get a bad headache and I slept almost all day.. Dead to the world and unhelpful to my little girls.. I felt like a terrible mother..

Today I'm going to go look at a dog just to lift my spirits.. I'm so depressed.. And I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to my self.. alone.. where I started... :(

Is it possible my migraines are setting off my seizures?? Anyone?? Is anyone but me responding? Or reading this? :(

Also, no dog today.. even more depressed.. More head pain no matter what I took for it... Does the pain ever end (yes I sound like a baby but I've had a migraine for a year and a half.. every single day.. irritating me..)

Not as good of a day as I had hoped.. and like I said before, feeling alone in here..

Becoming less hopeful..
Abi

Hi Abi,

So sorry that you are feeling unwell. Unfortunately I don't have any advice when it comes to migraines but I totally understand your feelings of hoplessness etc. I have been feeling so low since my seizure that I feel that I have been a useless mother to my 3 children. They go back to school on Wednesday after having 6 weeks summer holidays and I feel that they have had a horrible holiday. The first few weeks were spent with me struggling to get out of bed as I was so depressed and crying all the time and now when they go back, I won't be able to take them or pick them up. Just feel that I have to rely on so many other people who are trying to lead their own lives. I'm sure it wont be long before they get fed up with driving my children around!

Just remember you are not alone. Us mums need to stick together!!!

Hope you feel better soon. Take Care x

Claire-

Thank you! Just knowing I'm not alone is good! Its ok, migraines are tricky.

We are not bad mums because we can't drive anymore and because we feel like we are a crying emotional mess sometimes and the house work doesn't get done as often as we like because we don't have the energy and all the other lists of things we are counting off right now. We need to try to remember that there will be hard days and good days and its ok to ask for help because we shouldn't over do it.

We can't condemn ourselves for what we can't do any more but simply try to find peace with what we can do.

I hope your feeling better too! Hugs!
Abi

Well, here's

the thing.

Migraines can have auras, and are sometimes (by some doctors) considered seizures as well. It varies.

I've suffered with migraines for years, and Topomax is what is now used to control most of them. I think I"m up to 8 different kinds of them now, I've lost track of the different kinds. *eyeroll* I digress.

What I would be most concerned with is the weight loss. 85 pounds is an AWFUL lot. While I understand that you have food allergies (there are many celiac patients here as well, and the correlation between diet and seizures can be astounding)......While I understand you have allergies, you may wish to consider that your body is NOT tolerating Topomax well at all, as one of the POSSIBLE side effects of it is WEIGHT LOSS.

If you're not taking some daily vitamins to keep your immune system up, please consider doing so. But don't overdo it.

You're not losing your mind, and YES, it is VERY hard to go through all of this with 2 young kids...especially at those ages. I know...I've done it. I had 3--18 months apart each way. Ex-hubby didn't help much either, so you're lucky. :)

Just remember that we're here for you whenever you need it. :)

Hugs, and take care,

Meetz
:rock:

Meetz-

Thank you!

First; you saying my migraines could be considered seizures goes along with what I have been thinking since they make me sleep the same 5 to 12 hours each time. Both have terrible head pain.

Second; 60 pounds were pregnancy, just to clarify ;) the last 25 pounds are extra weight I've been wanting to loose for the last 7 years so I'm fine with it. I'm still very healthy and normal looking. If I loose too much I will talk to my doctor but I think the Topamax has caused me to loose only 20 of all my 85 lost. Thank you for your kind concern! :) Feeling loved now!

Third; I am taking some great vitamin supliments every day because I know I need to :)

Fourth; questions: hands and feet going tingly and fuzzy vizzion for a few seconds or flashes that look like "stars" or "fairies" for just a second.. not sure what that is all about. What does an aura look like?

Thank you again! All my best!
Abi :)

My biological mom has grand mal seizures.. if I'm having patete mal (absence seizures) is it possible they could become grand mal? (I'm adopted). Maybe I'm getting confussed. I just want to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best, ya know? This makes a lot more sence to me though. I'm less shocked.

(Any one read this?)
All my best,
Abi

So I blacked out while standing in the doorway of my bedroom and started swaying. Hubby was working (from home and the bedroom is his office for amazon.com. Cool, Hu?) Thankfully he was there as I was going threw that. I don't remember anything.. he was talking to me when I came to so I imagine he had been repeating my name or some thing.. it was garbled at first. Sorta scary but so glad my amazing husband was there.

Absence seizures can eventually progress to grand mals, but there's no way to predict if that will happen in your case. For now, focus on finding ways to control the symptoms you are having. Can't remember if I've mentioned this before, or if it's an option for you, but the Modified Atkins Diet may be able to help with your absences -- it's particularly helpful against that kind of seizure. More info here: http://www.atkinsforseizures.com/

Thanks Nakamova! As always, voice of reason :) I will look at the info. Couldn't hurt! I'm better than yesterday as far as I did finally have someone to talk with by the way :)

I'm glad you're feeling better today. I know it can be tough when the epilepsy blues strike. I talk on the phone almost every day with a good friend of mine, and it really helps me to shake off the bad stuff.

Back
Top Bottom