Is this normal?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with partial seizures on Monday of this week, and started taking generic Keppra: 500mg for the first two days, and 1000mg for the past 2.5 days. I have read a lot about side effects from these medications, but have never taken one personally until this week.

For the past two days particularly, I have been so dizzy it's hard to walk in a straight line, no appetite at all, very tired, and I feel very confused, like I'm walking around in a permanent haze. I feel like I went from being a healthy 30-year-old to an elderly woman in a week.

My question is, would you say this is a normal reaction to starting meds like this? As I said, I have no idea what they are like, and I don't want to call the doctor for no reason. Also, do the side effects get better over time? I am supposed to go up to 1500mg a day after one week, and I am terrified. I don't feel like I can live like this!

Thanks!

My question is, would you say this is a normal reaction to starting meds like this? As I said, I have no idea what they are like, and I don't want to call the doctor for no reason. Also, do the side effects get better over time? I am supposed to go up to 1500mg a day after one week, and I am terrified. I don't feel like I can live like this!

Hi Sarahkay and Welcome to CWE,

I've had E for over 30 years now and currently take 3000 mgs. of Keppra. Initially, starting any new AED will cause these effects and as you slowly get used to it, your body will adjust. Give it a week, sometimes it takes several weeks to adjust to the meds. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom