Just curious, how many epileptics have a drivers license?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl - BRAVO! BRAVO! Well said. I too understand how cjole feels - there are probably more drunks & druggies driving & killing people than there are epileptics. It's infuriating. Sure, a convicted drunk driver can lose their license, they may have to have a breathalizer put into their vehicle, but that doesn't stop them. And a druggie - there is nothing to stop them either. It is galling that these creeps are out there killing innocent people. It doesn't matter what is done to punish them, they always get around it. It isn't fair & it isn't right. But as valeriedl pointed out, it is their choice to break the law. They are fools. They make foolish decisions. As inconvient as epilepsy is, do we want to be fools as well? Do we want to risk peoples lives? I don't.

I have a drivers license & will continue to keep it up-to-date. There are times when a license is needed for identification. (I ended up using it last week when I went to the ER. I was in the middle of a seizure & couldn't answer any questions & I wanted to give the admitting staff something & ended up giving her my license. It was enough to get things started for getting me into treatment.) I am not driving at this time & have stopped driving on my volition many times in the past before I even knew what was going on with me. One day I almost killed myself, my son & my nephew because I lost consiousness & came to about a second before going off the road into a lake. Another time I had a minor accident running into a concrete divider which thankfully prevented me from going into cross traffic going by at 45 mph. I didn't know I was have seizures. I didn't know I had epilepsy because my first neuro didn't tell me I had epilepsy. He said I had a seizure disorder & over the next 12 years NEVER explained what that meant or what was happening to me. He never said anything about my driving privileges. My current neuro also told me I have a seizure disorder, but didn't explain either. I finally did research to find out what that meant. My current neuro did have me sign a paper stating that I would voluntarily not drive until I was seizure free for 6 months. I don't know if that is reported to the state. Honestly I don't care if it is. I look back over the last 25 years & think of the many times I put peoples lives in danger & it scares me to death to think of what could have happened. I have come so close to killing my loved ones, myself & people I don't know. If I had harmed anyone, killed anyone & yet lived, I don't think I could stand the guilt.

So again, I agree with valeriedl. Drunks & druggies have deliberately put themselves into that condition and they deliberately break the law when they drive & yes they kill innocent people - deliberately, by their choice, their "right", to do what they want. Who of us wants to sidestep the law which is meant to protect us & others by driving when our seizures are not under control just because we think it is our right to drive? We have no control over the drunks & druggies & bad drivers out there, but we have control of our actions. I personally do NOT want to endanger anyone ever again. Yes, I rely on others to get me around or use what limit public transportation is available in our small town & yes, I feel like I'm being a bother to others when I have frequent appointments & need a ride, but at least I am acting responsibly.

I hope I don't sound like I was ranting there. I understand both sides. It isn't fair that drunks , et al, can keep driving when epileptics lose their drivers license. If you have a license, keep it up-to-date for when you need it for identification, but please, for your own safety & others, don't drive until you can do so safely. The law is there to protect everyone. And if the state requires a doctor to report an epileptic, it is not a breach of doctor/patient confidentiality - it is a safety issue. And yes, we can feel like we are a burden to others, but we have to remember that the ones who are willing to give us rides do so because they love us & don't want any harm to come to us. Please, let all of us look at this as a protective measure, not as a loss of our rights.

Shelia

Mmlrisser,

Just a personal note for you & your daughter after my previous long post to valeriedl. Your daughter still has some time to go before she is old enough to get a drivers license. I hope that she is able to get her seizures under control by that time. But even if she is not able to gain control of her seizures & has to continue to rely upon you & others to take her eveywhere, maintain a positive perspective about the situation with her. I have a good friend, about 3 month older than my son. He was born pre-mature & has a host of problems & totally dependent on his parents & those of us who are able to understand his communication & his needs. As he grew, he had the same desires any teenage boy would have, including wanting a drivers license. This was an impossiblity. He has 9 yr. old mentality (he's 26 now), can barely hear & uses ASL, eyesight difficulties, is only 4' tall, etc. Yet he wanted a license, but since he couldn't get one, the license bureau actually gave him an identification card that resembles a license. I thought it was a great kindness on their part & my friend was very excited about it.

Now, I'm not comparing this to your daughter's situation in any way. I truly hope she will get the seizures under control & be able to get her license, but if not perhaps she could get a similar identification because as she gets older, there will be times when she will need a picture identification. I can tell from your post & your responses that you are a very loving mother & are doing all you can to help your daughter as she is coming closer to driving age. I know that you will always help her if she doesn't get her seizures under control. I admire you for being honest with her & helping her. As a person who has had epilepsy for 45 years, who has not responded to medication, who wasn't informed by doctors about what was going on or my mother about having grand mals from ages 1 yr to 5 yrs old until just this year, I think you are doing a wonderful job with your daughter. Keep encouraging her & yourself. There are sooo many of us here that have a listening ear & a shoulder to cry on. We all understand & encourage one another. Take care.

Shelia

Dunno the law in Reno but in UK you must be 2 years "fit-free" before reapplying for licence - Something I agree with wholly - It's ok if someone with E kills themselves but what of the others killed in the most tragic of events? - Losing my licence never affects me personally or in work - I use planes/trains/buses/taxis/ etc to often much more effect & reliability

Ok, as I said, these are just my opinions. I don't expect or demand that you agree, and frankly, I don't care. I know that I risk alot. I also know that anyone who gets behind the wheel risks as much. I stand by my assertion that people without E are just as dangerous as I am. I have quit driving at times that I have felt that I should, but I am sorry, I refuse to give up completely. About moving? Well there's not a town within 100 miles of where I live that would afford me any better opportunity than where I live. I live in the little town that I live in. I have grown up here, and this is where I will be. I have heard more of accidents with people without E, versus those who have. Certainly, we are a minor part of the population, that's a given. I would bet that if you compared those of us with E, who drive that have had accidents to the general population who have accidents, the percentages would be higher in those without.

It's a choice I make, and as I have said, I know that many of you will disagree. Am I any more dangerous on the road than those of the general population? I don't think so. Will I be able to live with the outcome if I have a seizure, and hurt someone? Probably would be very tough, but I don't think it would be any less hurtful if I had a "legal" right to drive, and hurt someone that way. So, left, right? I don't know. But it's my decision.

CJ

I think the wide variations in the laws are proof how confusing E is when it comes to driving. Doesn't seem like there is a set in stone answer about it from anyone or source....so sometimes our own personal situation has to be deciding factor in this situation.
As a mother, I can understand your struggle with protecting your child vs allowing her to grow up with same liberties as her friends. Honestly, if I was talking about one of my sons and not me, I would probably view it differently.
But as the person with E, it is frustrating to be told you shouldn't do something that is just common nature for most. I was just thinking the other night, how I would love to have a long hot bubble bath! I only shower based on what doctor has advised me. Yet he did advise me not to drive in the beginning too. I know I justified it and only drove to work and never at night since lights have been a trigger in the past. Even though I have been seizure free for awhile, I still do not drive at night...my friends and family have been great about driving me at those times. It does upset me to see a story where someone drove into a house during a seizure.
As far as people driving drunk, they are given way more opportunities to drive than most states/countries give to people with E. In 2007, my brother, niece and niece's best friend were hit by a drunk driver. He had 4 previous convictions for DWI. In fact, the district attorney made a huge mistake about allowing a plead bargain on the 4th conviction...by Texas law, a 4th DWI is mandated prision time. The DA was fired, but he was on probation with sensor in his truck. He was required to show up once a month for probation visit and also to have the truck and sensor tested. The month prior to the accident, he showed up for neither appt. He was mechanic and he had modified the sensor so he would be able to bypass it and drive. He spent days on this, knowing what he would be doing. Luckily my brother was not injured, but was mentally tormented by this accident. My niece had two surgeries to correct broken collar bone. Sadly, my niece's friend was in coma for 8 months. After the accident happened, she was in such bad shape, her family were warned to prepare for the worst. She is a surviror (in fact she beat cancer when she was four!), but the struggles this young girl indures every day is heartbreaking. The man received two concurrent 10 year sentences and is in prision....however with "good behavior", he will be out next year.

cjole, I really do understand how you feel. It is totally unfair to discriminate against epileptics. We don't have control over our health for the most part while those who drive under the influence do have control of putting themselves in that position. They shouldn't be allowed to be on the road & dfwtexas gave the perfect case to support this matter. People who drive under the influence know how to get around the system. They shouldn't be given that chance. And I also agree that the ratio of accidents by epiletics & those caused by DUI or other reasons, epileptics are in the minor share of those accidents. And yes, anyone who gets behind the wheel takes a risk or brings a risk to others.

Yes, being deprived of driving because we are epileptics may seem very unfair. It is very difficult for those of us living in small town or rural areas to get around. I applaud you for being alert enough to know when you are not safe to drive & have voluntarily given it up. I have done that myself many times in the past. If you are someone that is able to tell you are going to have a seizure well enough in advance so that you can stop your car safely, then I can understand your frustration at being restricted by law. Of all the types of seizures I have, I never have advance warning. Each epileptic is different. Some may be safe even though they still have seizures because they have warning signs well enough in advance. I have CPS & Atonic/drop seizures just to name a couple & these do make me a dangerous driver since I have no warning. Most of my other seizure types don't affect my driving ability, but until I'm under control, IF I am ever under control, I feel better about not driving.

I hope you do not feel I was criticizing you, because I truly understand how you feel. I honestly see this situation from both sides. In the end, doctors & lawmakers are making these laws to protect us & others. I just wish they would do more to get those DUI's off the roads. Even if they did, there would still be others causing accidents - heart attack & stoke victims, careless drivers, people falling asleep at the wheel, & on & on.

I'm all for keeping your license. I don't think you should be required to relinquish it to the doctor or license bureau. We are often required to show our license, so we need to keep them. It comes down to being sensible about our own situation, knowing what we are able to do safely, and acting in a wise way.

Shelia

Back
Top Bottom