Just curious

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
I'm just curious, what would you do if you suddenly lost your job? I've heard the unemployment rate for epileptic people is 25-50%, not precise but very high.

HI finalpoet,

If someone tried to lay me off or fire me do to my seizures I would have a lawyer on them a.s.a.p. because it's totally illegal for anyone to do that. I've had 3 teachers fired and 1 teacher had to transfer to another school because they were putting me down on the job about my epilepsy. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

In my case i didn't suddenly lose my job, they just made it steadily worse and worse until i ended up leaving because i'd had enough. I was good at the job and i enjoyed it, but now i don't think i'd ever work in that same industry again.

I went back to university to retrain and go back to science, which i love, but i graduated in july with a First Class in biomolecular science and i'm still struggling to get employment. It gets rather soul destroying after a while.

I completed my Bachelor's Degree, but wasn't able to work much. I began having complex partial seizures about 2 years after I completed it. Once, I was on my way to work & had a CP at the train station, nearly collapsing onto the tracks. Another time, I collapsed onto the sidewalk just outside the downtown building that my office was in. In both instances, I "came to" when I was in the ER.

After I "came out of it" and was trying to explain myself to an asphalt company what I was doing driving my company's pickup truck near (or on) their dumping zone (I worked for a concrete company and was the QC person), my company said goodbye to me within a day or two... all I remember was talking to a guy asking me to explain myself as to how I got from here to there... I don't know... was all I could think of at the time... after I finally got my full thoughts back together, I was doing everything I could to remember where I even was, what I was even doing and where I was supposed to be going...

Family members just don't understand how I can burn myself severely & not even feel it. (I've given myself 2nd & 3rd degree burns at least 8 times). Another thing that I've done many times is ripping out the liner curtain in the tub. I only know about having those seizures due to that curtain, & bruises on my legs &/or shoulders

If I suddenly lost this job I would go get another and until I start the new job my epilepsy is none of their business.
It really depends on circumstances but I would be looking for employment in the same field and file the FMLA paperwork with HR on day 1. Also I would take a look at the company to make sure it fits. I once had a job interview with a company that promoted bringing their dogs to work. Sure the people were great but I could not stand all the dogs. (nothing against dogs but there is a limit)

Back
Top Bottom