Kelly Osbourne hospitalized after seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jyearta

New
Reaction score
Seizure in the news

I am setting here watching ET, they just told of Kelly Osborne having a seizure at the set of her TV show. ET host said that Joan Rivers was there and witness the seizure.

Now I not happy that anyone had a seizure, I'm just glad they are speaking of this. I hope it will educate people.

Thanks for this Jyerta, It's of great interest to me because of the possible existence of epilepsy in someone who has a sibling with MS. incidentally, the newspaper website I went on to had s shocking level of ignorance among its reader comments. Apparently you don't have epilepsy unless you have spent two days in a coma!

I saw that as well.

When a celebrity has a seizure, it's jaw-dropping to see the ignorance of the majority of people on WHAT E is and how it's diagnosed, etc. etc.

Now, Kelly has been in the hospital for DAYS now and expected to be there for days more... first time I had a seizure, I was in an ER for 3 hours... second time... 3 hours again... there's more going on to this then simply a seizure... that or she's clustering and something's gone haywire...

Kelly Osbourne is hanging in there after suffering a sudden seizure during a taping of her E! show, "Fashion Police," on Thursday, but she is still hospitalized, according to her mother, Sharon Osbourne.
Sources connected with Kelly reportedly told the website that physicians are saying she could be suffering from epilepsy, and that she will be hospitalized for "at least a few more days" while she undergoes further testing.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/kelly-osbourne-doing-fine-seizure-still-hospitalized-says-212211627.html

Someone has a seizure and they could have epilepsy? No sh!t my fellow journos.

WOW, the Osbourne family has had it's share of illnesses, with Sharon surviving cancer, her son being diagnosed with MS and now Kelly possibly having Epilepsy. Prayers go out to them and yes hopefully more people will be educated about Epilepsy

I know Ker-stee but if you do have a seizure, chances are they are going to look at it as a possible cause. It just could have been better put.

But not everyone who has seizures has epilepsy.

But it is a great possibility.

Here is the latest:
http://www.tmz.com/2013/03/09/kelly-osbourne-epilepsy-seizure-hospital/
KELLY OSBOURNE
Doctors Say
Epilepsy A Possibility

Kelly Osbourne's seizure may have been much more serious than first suspected, because doctors say she could be suffering from epilepsy.

Kelly has been hospitalized since suffering a seizure Thursday on the set of "Fashion Police." Sources connected with Kelly tell TMZ ... the seizure was far more serious than first suspected. Doctors are running tests and we're told she'll be in the hospital for at least a few more days.

We're told doctors say there's a real possibility that Kelly is an epileptic, but it's possible it was an isolated incident. If it's the latter, docs need to figure out what happened and how they can prevent another episode.

In the meantime, Kelly is on anti-seizure meds.

must admit i'm frowning at this thread. yes, there is a 'chance' she may have epilepsy, but there are many more reasons that she may have had a seizure, please.
alcohol
drugs
alcohol or drug withdrawal
dehydration
metabolic or chemical imbalance
congenital problems or traumas (how do we know what happened when she was born/little?)

let's face it, the osbourne's aren't exactly known for their healthy, non-partying ways, esp. kelly... this could be from anything really. and why are they keeping her in there a lot longer than the average person? because she's a celebrity and that's how it's done. they don't want backlash from the celebrity world that the docs just let her go without doing every test under the sun.

But it is a great possibility.

Considering that only around 35% of people who have a first seizure go onto have another and therefore epilepsy, there is a greater possibility that it isn't.

As said above, there can be a whole host of other reasons as well as the reason never being found and it just remaining one of those one off things.

As others have said what I can see from this story is simply the consistently idiotic things the media and public is saying about it and epilepsy. I also get somewhat annoyed when things like this happen to people in the public eye and there is never any official public comment about it. The overwhelming ignorance of epilepsy and seizures is not going to change if people in the public eye don't speak out about it. Although of course people should not be expected to discuss their private medical history, I think things like epilepsy need celebrities to do so. It was a shame, I thought, when Chief Justice Roberts had a 2nd seizure a few years ago but decided to never talk about it. It just confirms the image of epilepsy/seizures as something to be embarrassed about and hidden away like it was back in the dark ages.
If people realised how common epilepsy or isolated seizures were, that most are not "often fatal" as the Daily Mail in the UK seems to think they are, but greatly affect the lives of those who suffer them, there might be more pressure to put more research into it than there is at present.

Although I am not exactly the greatest fan of Kelly, she is pretty open and outspoken so I hope she will not feel the need to just go silent on what happened to her and will bring much needed publicity and clarity to something that could happend to anybody on the planet but which most have absolutley no understanding of.

Last edited:
must admit i'm frowning at this thread. yes, there is a 'chance' she may have epilepsy, but there are many more reasons that she may have had a seizure, please.
alcohol
drugs
alcohol or drug withdrawal
dehydration
metabolic or chemical imbalance
congenital problems or traumas (how do we know what happened when she was born/little?)

let's face it, the osbourne's aren't exactly known for their healthy, non-partying ways, esp. kelly... this could be from anything really. and why are they keeping her in there a lot longer than the average person? because she's a celebrity and that's how it's done. they don't want backlash from the celebrity world that the docs just let her go without doing every test under the sun.

Wow someone typing sense, unfortunately she has screwed herself up and now reaping the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.:rock:

lol, that's all one sentence... are you referring to me or kelly?

lol, that's all one sentence... are you referring to me or kelly?
I'm sure he's talking about Kelly. Your the oh wise one qtown!:bigsmile: I had a friend once (not much of friend anymore) asked me to talk to a friend of hers. She tells me the doctors says "she might have a little epilepsy" People had to hold me back You don't have a little epilepsy you either have it or you don't. Then she told me it was a result of doing some drug. I told her she needs to find a rehab program not me! I'm not the one to judge but I would think it would have something to do with the lifestyle

I'm sure he's talking about Kelly. Your the oh wise one qtown!:bigsmile:

awww thanks pita. i'm thinking the someone with some sense was me (no not tooting my horn), and the rest was kelly?

She tells me the doctors says "she might have a little epilepsy" People had to hold me back You don't have a little epilepsy you either have it or you don't.

DITTO. 'a little' epilepsy? omg so sad there's people that ignorant (stupid).

Then she told me it was a result of doing some drug.

yes, there's many reasons right! in the er they actually chalked my first one up to a bad bad party night a few days prior. but then when the second came months later the neuro said the partying was "just a coincidence." diagnosed me, started meds, and off i went, and have still been having seizures since, almost 10 years later. now that's epilepsy, not ONE.

Qtowngirl, well it's a tuff call that one, but I'm sure your a good girl, possibly naughty in a previous life. Lol.

what's a tough call? the E cuz of the partying? nope.
turns out i'd had it 9 years prior to diagnosis. long story and a real F up by a psychiatrist.

as for the naughty girl in a previous life? oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

Wow someone typing sense, unfortunately she has screwed herself up and now reaping the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.:rock:

A little judgemental, no? Would anyone on here who has E like to have a seizure and have people jump to the conclusion "ah well, it's his/her own fault"?

Back
Top Bottom