Keppra and Dental Problems?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

XxBlaqkxX

Stalwart
Reaction score
On keppra's side effects, I have not been able to find "dental problems," but I'm almost confident it does. It leeches nutrients after all - how can it not be detrimental to your teeth?

I'm so tired of dental issues. I don't have dental insurance and have to travel to another country to afford dental work. At the moment I have plenty of cavities, a few decaying teeth, two chipped teeth, and while I'm not in pain or anything (thankfully), I know it's a problem and can lead to infection, but we're dirt broke for another month or so until my husband's new job starts up.

I'm also thinking that perhaps when I had a bad seizure a couple years ago and fell on my chin and am still having jaw issues that it could be playing a part in my teeth potentially having micro-cracks that just get bigger over time - is that possible? I would assume one could have a slightly broken tooth and not realize it until it starts to decay or a piece fall off.

I keep having horrible nightmares of my teeth rotting rapidly and just falling out of my mouth until there are none left. This dream is recurring, horrendous, and I'm always glad to wake up with some teeth still in my mouth.

I've already had five teeth pulled and six fillings before I was 30. I suppose it could be a lot worse. I'm afraid I'll have full dentures by the time I'm 40 or 50, but sometimes it seems like that could be a possible relief and a boost of confidence for me. I'm also concerned about the memory and tooth connection about how the nerves of our teeth are speculated to help with our memory because my memory is already garbage as it is sometimes.

It seems seizures always spell bad news for your teeth, doesn't it? Maybe I'm totally wrong, but....I'm not sure how many people with epilepsy actually have really nice teeth...

I'm sorry to hear you have dental issues. The obvious things to do: 1) floss everyday, 2) brush your teeth thoroughly (especially the crowns where most cavaties start) morning and night AFTER you eat, 3) limit the sweets. I'm not sure where you live, but in the states many dentists will set up a payment program for you. Likely the same in other countries.

Also, an automatic toothbrush is usually more effective than hand brushing, even an inexpensive battery-powered one.

Good luck.

ksq

I'm sorry to hear you have dental issues. The obvious things to do: 1) floss everyday, 2) brush your teeth thoroughly (especially the crowns where most cavaties start) morning and night AFTER you eat, 3) limit the sweets. I'm not sure where you live, but in the states many dentists will set up a payment program for you. Likely the same in other countries.

Also, an automatic toothbrush is usually more effective than hand brushing, even an inexpensive battery-powered one.

Good luck.

ksq

I brush, I floss, I oil pull, I chew xylitol gum, I use the bass brush method and keep going until my teeth are all completely smooth, I try to keep my diet as clean as possible (limiting grains not only for low carb sakes, but because I'm sensitive to most of them anyway, low sugar intake, etc.), I take vitamins/supplements as needed - Vitamin D3, B-Complex with Folate, Calcium, Vitamin C, Collagen, Iodine 5% solution, Fermented Cod-Liver Oil/Butter Oil Blend gel, and I am still losing this battle and can't seem to figure out just why....it's ultimately frustrating. =(

I try so hard that I just want to give up because nothing seems to be working...I'm just not so much wondering about how to take care of teeth (just hate thinking about all the work I already do that's probably for nothing) as I am if anyone else is having these issues while on Keppra.

I don't have crowns as my teeth have either been salvageable by fillings or so broken down they weren't able to be saved and extraction would be more beneficial to avoid further failure from the tooth, but because of the teeth breakdown, I'm careful how I floss as I've already flossed away parts of teeth before. I've had teeth crack just trying to get a piece of food from in between them...

I miss how when I was a kid, before medications, my teeth were great...I mean...strong, healthy, great. Not many problems at all. Took Dilantin for a few months, took Lamictal for 4 years, and then took Keppra for 10 years and then a 15 month break and then back on Keppra.

I refuse to see dentists here if at all possible. Most of them in my area seem to be money mongers and it's expensive. I had an emergency where I had to go wherever local had an opening and took Care Credit, which is what I had. It was either I get the tooth pulled for $410 or pay $1,900 for a root canal and crown...my Care Credit limit was $1,500...so there went the options. I mean, I started feeling better after that infected tooth was out, but...ugh. If I go across the border, I don't pay anymore than $120 for a tooth extraction and no more than $300 for a root canal and crown if that came up...no question where I'm going if I don't have dental insurance.

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Seems like you're doing everything you can. I searched for correlations between Keppra use and teeth problems on PubMed. Nothing came up. Maybe I didn't enter the proper search terms, although I tried several different ways---you know know how searches can provide less than illuminating results. I did see there is significant positive correlation between having epilepsy and poor oral hygiene. More specifically, with increased severity of seizures and poor oral hygiene. Came from a study done in U.K. I suspect increasing severity of seizures will show positive correlation with a number of undesirable conditions/behaviors..

I take Keppra---low dosage: 500 mg in morning, 1000 mg before bed. My legs and hands sometimes cramp at night, but they did prior to my initial seizure. My balance isn't as good. Neurologist thinks it's due to muscle damage from seizures, not the Keppra---although balance issues are listed as common side effect of Keppra use. No oral problems of note, or rather, a different kind of oral problem--My wife says I've gotten more blunt (or rude) with her and other people. It happened today while I was talking with the couple next door. The woman (I refer to her as "Howdy Neighbor" because she always used to yell that from their back yard whenever she saw me) tends to dominate conversations. Her husband doesn't say much. Anyway, after she had answered a question of mine to them, I turned to her husband saying, "Let's see what Bob thinks.," and asked him directly. Howdy Neighbor got irritated and soon walked off while Bob and I got into an interesting conversation. Doggone Keppra, anyway.....

Hi XxBlaqkxX,

I'm sorry to hear about the dental problems it can be a real pain. My gums would start to bleed when I brushed my teeth
and when I went in for a check up with my dentist a few yrs. ago. He told me to brush my teeth twice a day, floss them and
also after I got done brushing my teeth to rinse my mouth out with hydrogen peroxide to kill all the bacteria and make my
teeth stronger and more white I've been doing it for a long time now and it works great. You may want to try using the peroxide
you can water it down a little if you need to until you get used to it then use it full strength and hopefully that will help you out.
Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You,

Sue

Some of the medications can lead to dry mouth, which can in turn affect gums/teeth. It looks like Kepprs might be one of those meds: https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/keppra/dry-mouth/ and
(keeping in mind that those reports are anecdotal.)

Dry mouth caused by Lamictal seems to have affected my teeth and gums. I don't have dental insurance so I’m hoping to avoid gum surgery as long as possible.

I had severe dry mouth. My dentist told me to start using ACT DryMouth mouthwash. I can't believe how much it's helped.

Most of the AEDs cause dry mouth. Topiramate is notorious for it, & I drink about 1/2 gallon of water/day.

Hi XxBlaqkxX,

I'm sorry to hear about the dental problems it can be a real pain. My gums would start to bleed when I brushed my teeth
and when I went in for a check up with my dentist a few yrs. ago. He told me to brush my teeth twice a day, floss them and
also after I got done brushing my teeth to rinse my mouth out with hydrogen peroxide to kill all the bacteria and make my
teeth stronger and more white I've been doing it for a long time now and it works great. You may want to try using the peroxide
you can water it down a little if you need to until you get used to it then use it full strength and hopefully that will help you out.
Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You,

Sue

Tried Hydrogen Peroxide and I tried to stick with it for a few weeks after brushing teeth, but I never noticed any different results....plus, I couldn't stand the taste. It tastes like sour milk to me and it's nearly unbearable. I can't use it without gagging for hours.

At this point, I'm thinking more of environmental, like there's something in the water or the air or the ground that's not helping...there are many people in this town with dental issues, but it's not like that can be proven.

I had severe dry mouth. My dentist told me to start using ACT DryMouth mouthwash. I can't believe how much it's helped.

I'm glad it's helped you a lot. Some people do find relief with dry mouth products.

I have heard of AED's causing dry mouth. Although, I don't seem to have this issue, I don't notice my mouth dry unless I'm dehydrated. I wasn't sure if this was all of them or only some since Keppra nowhere seems to have dental issues as a side effect. I usually oil pull using coconut oil twice a day and that generally helps my mouth all in and all feel good. Coconut oil is moisturizing stuff, too, it lasts a good while for me. I also chew xylitol gum. I also make my own saline rinse if I have any pain or swelling. I feel like I'm pretty on top of it...just frustrated either way. =(

Not sure if you haven't already tried this but vitamins D3 and K are good for strengthening the teeth. I've been taking Keppra for 14 years and have been able to maintain good dental health. Might be unrelated to the Keppra. /shrug

Not sure if you haven't already tried this but vitamins D3 and K are good for strengthening the teeth. I've been taking Keppra for 14 years and have been able to maintain good dental health. Might be unrelated to the Keppra. /shrug

I've had vitamin D3 deficiencies, but I've been on top of it lately. Vitamin K and D3 are in the fermented cod liver oil/butter oil I take.

I am also wondering if when the last time I had a bad seizure and fell hard on my chin if perhaps I got small cracks I couldn't see or feel that maybe got worse as time went on...I have a tooth or two that looks more like a chip than decay and perhaps I didn't notice it at first and it's only getting worse.

Worst of all what I'm afraid of is if it's environmental...toxins in the air, water, fungus that's not all that uncommon in the ground out here (valley fever is a thing), and there's high levels of certain metals in the ground that they wonder if that's been causing higher numbers of cancer in children in these past few years, but it still remains a mystery.

Last time my dental health was absolutely pristine, I remember what all I was doing and I'm trying to revert back to that, but also I wasn't living here in the town I am right now. That's also why I'm worried about possible environmental causes, but they're exceedingly hard to prove.

Back
Top Bottom