Keppra and low frequency sounds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
I just started back on generic Keppra (levetiracetam). I took brand name before, and was on it for a while, so I thought I knew what to expect.

Has anyone noticed increased sensitivity to low frequency sound, or any sound, on Keppra?

My neighbor's music, the air conditioning on the roof, and all sorts of noises are driving me crazy. It seems intolerably noisy. Some sounds I can clearly "hear", and some are barely sensible. I'm sure that the air conditioning was making this sound before, but it didn't bother me. I thought my upstairs neighbor was playing music, but I went outside to escape, and I could still hear it. I realized it must be some kind of mechanical noise. IDK where it was coming from. Even though it was barely audible, it was pounding my head. It's not just ultra-low frequencies, but those are the worst.

- It's hard to google this stuff now because the algorithms only show what they think you are looking for.

Hi Matthew,

I've had that problem in the past and my Dr. told it was all do to audio sounds and sometimes it would trigger seizures
for me. This happened before I had brain surgery and certain high pitch sounds would really bother me. You may want
your Dr. to do a e.e.g. on you with audio sounds and then they will be able to tell you if it's a hf (high frieqency) or vhf (very
high freqency that's causing the problem. I had to turn down the sound on the ham radio and then I was okay.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thanks. I've never noticed sounds causing seizures, except insofar as the noise causes stress. My upstairs neighbor seems to have started smoking pot, and a side effect is that he keeps getting louder. :rolleyes: He used to be fine, but it's getting to be a problem.

I've been trying to think of a way to address it in a friendly way, like buying him beer or something and giving him some pads to put underneath the furniture and speakers. I really want absolute silence most of the time, but that's not a reasonable expectation. I just don't get the music 24-7 thing.

I have a Zenith Tran-Oceanic, but it needs worked on. A few FM and AM channels are all I can get - most of them non-English. I can't even get NOAA Weather or Coast Guard. The best thing I managed one night was a Cuban propaganda/news channel! There are some local Creole (French) channels, and maybe some from the Islands. Reception here is really bad - I tried hanging a wire out the back window and it was a definite improvement, but I keep the radio on the opposite side of the house. The radio has all the stuff with it, listing channels from all over the world back in the day. I wish I knew more about electronics, I'm sure it can be fixed, and a better antenna hooked up. Somebody replaced a bunch of capacitors.

Back
Top Bottom