Keppra, pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am currently taking 1000mg Keppra a day and have been told it is safe for me to get pregnant and then breastfeed when the baby is born. I am excited about the prospect of having a baby but terrified of the effect the keppra might have on my baby (both birth defects and developmental delay later in life). I have been told that as keppra is a new drug there aren't many studies done on how the drug effects babies. I have seen lots of woman asking about keppra and pregnancy and breastfeeding on this site and would love to hear your good or bad outcomes of taking keppra while pregnant or breastfeeding.

I am taking lots of folic acid and already contacted the pregnancy register to let them know I will participate if we go ahead with a pregancy.

Thank you so much, I am looking forward to hearing your outcomes especially as keppra has been used for about eight years now so there must be some stories of how children are doing after being exposed during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Thanks :)

Ive had three healthy babies while taking two anti seizure medications. Keppra at 3000mgs a day, and Carbatrol at 1200mgs a day. All the babies came out fine. My first son, I didnt know I was pregnant til I was 3 months along, so I didnt take any folic acid during the first trimester, which scared me when I did found out I was pregnant and exacly how far along I was. Now he is a perfect 8 year old, actually measuring two years ahead for him. The other two are perfect too! :)

Now as for breast feeding, I was always told by my neuro and OB that I cannot breast feed the babies because the medication will do directly to my breast milk, and into the baby. I never did breast feed, I just formula fed. As for the folic acid, I did take more than the average pregnant woman out there. But all in all... they came out healthy and happy!

Thank you so much for your reply momof3boys. I've read lots of posts from women who are taking keppra whilst pregnant and are worried but not many of the actual outcome after their babies have been born and how they are developing throughout childhood. It's fantastic to hear your story!

I have read up on keppra and pregnancy because I take it too. They say when the danger of not being on keppra while pregnant outweighs the danger of being on keppra while pregnant, the drug can be taken throughout pregnancy. Not exactly a precise answer to the question, is it? As far as breast feeding goes, they only say that safety during breastfeeding has not been established. When they haven't done extensive trials on a specific facet, they will not declare it safe. They haven't done significant double blind, long term trials with keppra and breast feeding, so they can't recommend it.

I have just found out I'm pregnant! 5 weeks. I take Keppra 1500mg per day. I spoke with my neurologist well in advance of trying to conceive. He spoke to Professor Frank Vajda, who is the Director and Principal Investigator of the Australian Pregnancy Register. While there isn't alot of research into Keppra, he was still confident I remain on it. Ultimately it was mine and my husbands decision. But I am more worried about having a seisure while pregnant and there being oxygen loss to the developing baby. Or landing on my stomache etc when having a seizure.
The good news about breast feeding was that the baby is exposed to much more of the keppra inside you than it would receive through your breast milk!
All personal decisions.
It's very reassuring that momof3boys has had 3 healthy children, puts my mind at ease :)

Back
Top Bottom