Keppra Rage?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi, I am new to this forum but I think the whole rage, depression is just part of our brains dealing with epilepsy. I wasn't diagnosed until 2000 with epilepsy then I had a right temporal lobectomy in 2006. I am on two different anti-seizure meds now. One of them I was on before I had my lobectomy and one I started after it. I believe our brains are under a lot of stress with the all of the different meds and different levels of seizure activity. If your seizures are being controlled, that is the main concern. I was on Keppra for a short while but I don't recall experiencing Keppra rages. Keppra didn't control my seizures, either. So, I was put on a higher dose of it and then I had my lobectomy.

Ive been on Keppra since around the age of 18... maybe alittle before then... then Carbatrol was added shortly after that. But since then, my seizures have been really well controlled with the Keppra. I had experienced bad headaches in the years I was on Keppra, but in November of last year, I got switched to the Keppra XR and the headaches went completely away! Wish I would have known about the XR years before! Otherwise, the Keppra hasnt given me any other problems. I pretty much know now the emotions I was experiencing in March, April and May were due to the add on medications (Vimpat and Lamictal) that my dr tried to add on, and at the same time, tried to wean me off the Keppra. But due to allergic reactions, I got off the add ons and Im now on 3000mgs of Keppra XR, and doing great! :)

Took Keppra for a while and I was an emotional mess. Mostly depressed; crying about everything. Felt worthless. Did not want to face anyone. I am typically an easy going friendly person. Most of the time anyway!

I am glad to hear you are doing great! I tried Lamictal but it didn't do a thing for my seizures. Before I had my lobectomy surgery I was having 5 to 6 seizures every night. Right after I had my lobectomy is when my seizures started to finally come under control but it still took awhile. My family can attest to all of my wild mood swings during those times and that I still face (especially being a female epileptic)! I see you have three boys. I have three daughters (22yrs, 20yrs and 16yrs old). However, I am 41 years old. It's nice to have a place like this to talk to other people that know what type of situations are faced with epilepsy. Every day is a new day....Today is not like yesterday was and tomorrow...who knows what that will bring!

I am glad to hear you are doing great! I tried Lamictal but it didn't do a thing for my seizures. Before I had my lobectomy surgery I was having 5 to 6 seizures every night. Right after I had my lobectomy is when my seizures started to finally come under control but it still took awhile. My family can attest to all of my wild mood swings during those times and that I still face (especially being a female epileptic)! I see you have three boys. I have three daughters (22yrs, 20yrs and 16yrs old). However, I am 41 years old. It's nice to have a place like this to talk to other people that know what type of situations are faced with epilepsy. Every day is a new day....Today is not like yesterday was and tomorrow...who knows what that will bring!

Yeah since trying those new medications (Vimpat and Lamictal) added to the Keppra, that was a real bad mess to be in at the time! I just wasnt myself at all. Im a stay at home mom, so when it comes to taking care of my kids, I need to be on top of things. In April and May, those were my worse months going through the ups and downs of medications. My emotions were all over the place. I was desperate to change things back to when they were before getting the VEEG done. But now that I no longer am on any add on medications, Im doing great with just the Keppra XR! :)

CWE is an awesome place! :) Im so glad I found this site! :)

Oh jeez Keppra is a real nightmare for me. I've been on it for 4 years. If I keep up on my sleep, keep stress at a minimum, stay well nourished and hydrated I do OK. My memory is crap, and I can't multi task at all but I do OK. When I get behind on stuff, I go downhill rapidly. Anger, depression, loss of memory, etc.........

I must agree! If I get stressed and lose sleep at the same time I am in big trouble!! Sometimes if I do only one of those I am still in big trouble...I will have a seizure or feel like garbage the next day. I have recently stopped drinking diet soda and now I only drink water. I feel much better doing that. I have to stay really hydrated. While I was going through all of my grand mal seizures, I was operating a daycare and had my own young children at the time. We epileptics have to be tough cookies!

I've been on it for 3 months and have noticed huge changes.

I'm always irritated at everything and everyone.
I don't care about anything I'm just so exhausted, like my battery is drained.
I don't want to be touched, talked to, or bothered.
I cry over everything anger, disappointment, sadness, happiness, etc.
Mood swings.

Maybe it's just dealing with epilepsy too. I don't know but since I've taken it I've been angry.

Annicus,

I cannot stress what a difference B6 and B12 supplements have made for me. See if you can get some samples and they may help. I take them in the morning every day with my meds.

I am at the same stage as Annicus. I am going to start the b6 / b 12 this week. Life is like a rollercoaster right now. I also don't get to sleep until after 3:30 am...

Took a two hour nap this afternoon. The drowsiness has been the biggest pain in the ass. Sunday I fell asleep while drinking an energy drink. :roflmao:

Can you suggest what dossage to take for b6 & b12 mr N.

Wow so much for the E in energy drink.

Right now its just rage with a capital "K". The worst I have felt since I started my meds. And the auras / smells are getting more and more each day !!!

I've been taking the b complex with my pills. They recently increased my dosage so I'm getting used to more pills.

I take one of these guys each morning.
IMAG1150_zps94e16f1b.jpg

As you can see, thee B12 is time released.

Annicus , I feel like that all the time constantly. I know exactly how you feel. Keppra blows. =(

I have an appointment tomorrow with my Nerologist. After I blow off some steam. maybe we can come up with some new solutions. Possibly a med change !!!

I have been on generic Keppra since July 2013. I have to say I do not feel the same. I have issue with anger and anxiety issues especially when I'm really tired. About the same time I started Keppra was switched to wrkg 2nd shift. I used to sleep so good and loved eating. Now I get really tired but can not sleep. When. Do sleep I don't stay asleep very long. I go on less than 5 to 6 hrs of sleep. I get a little hungry but can not think of what I really want to eat. Have lost 20 to 30 lbs. it's like I have no feelings for anything other than anger and anxiety which I'm sure cause a lot of depression problems I have. Just wish I could go back to feeling normal. It has taken care of the reoccurring seizure problem I started having again a year ago. Everyone seems to just think well seizures have stopped so all is good. Just wish I could feel all was good.

Seen the nerologist and he has put me on Lamotrigine. Starting at 25 mg and slowly working my way up to 200 mg per day. Then will decrease the Keppra.

My names Jon. Ive been on Keppra since 2006. I had never heard of Keppra rage until yesterday when I came across it in a post on another site. I get short with people, impatient and alot of times its like being the Hulk with this rage that comes out. I was researching to see the side effects because I use to be the happy guy that got along with everyone. The feelings of anger, rage, being a smartass and feeling like I just dont care what someone says to me. The reason the keppra rage has me worried is because it is causing me severe issues with dating. I have pretty much lost the one person that I thought would be the one, because we would get into an argument and I would say the most horrific things that I would have never said to anyone and then the next day turn around and apologize. I tried explaining that its not me and she has been somewhat understanding. I get depressed, I feel alone, I have had suicidal thoughts because I feel like no one wants to date me because of my health. Its almost like I dont know where else to turn. I recently created an epilepsy page on facebook called Game Over for Epilepsy and it has my full story and pics of the aftermath of the last seizure I had Sept. 28, 2012. I lived off and on in Alaska 3 different times from 2005-2010. When I was there my seizures went crazy and I was on the max dose of dilantin and depakote you can take to control my seizures. I ended up getting Stephens Johnson Syndrome from that and now I am stuck with something that can potentially kill me and from what I hear there is no cure for it. Anyway thanks for listening. Jon

Back
Top Bottom