Keppra XR on back order

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Music36

Stalwart
Reaction score
Has anyone else been told that Keppra XR brand name is on back order and the pharmacy can only get generic? I’ve been on the brand name for 16 years.

I haven't heard anything, but I take Levetiracetam XR and mine has to be a certain manufacturer of that so I can tolerate it, but I have a 3 month supply I haven't run through yet so I haven't had an issue.

I don't see Keppra XR on a medication shortage list, but I do see different types of Levetiracetam listed. The XR was in shortage early this year and the injection is the most recent one as of October 19, 2022.

Have you tried calling a different pharmacy? Sometimes one pharmacy may sometimes have a backorder, but a different pharmacy might have it. I know in the past I've heard of my medication being on backorder and it was awful...for a long stretch it seemed like they were on backorder for my medication for a month or two. That's also why I had to spent my holiday (about two years ago now) making a 3 hour round trip to the big city to pick up my one month supply of medication. So much for my husband's day off...had to take the kids and everything, that was real fun -_- that shortage was terrible a couple years back. I think one of the manufacturer's of that Levetiracetam were closing down a facility or something and discontinuing and another location hadn't yet picked it up or something weird like that. I ended up after a point switching pharmacies because that pharmacy only got worse...they wouldn't fill scripts on time and my husband and I were in there literally every month for them to say, "No, not ready yet," and then us fuss at them, "This is an anti-epilepsy medication. Are you really going to put that on hold?! I will file a quality of care complaint to my insurance if you do not fill it." It's messed up they had to be pushed around like that just to fill it. Then they filled it without a script every month for the next 5 months...I keep having to call them and say, "DO NOT FILL THIS! How are you filling this WITHOUT a script? That doesn't sound legal of you all to do. Look at the system. You do not have the script, do you? I had it sent to _______." And they keep saying they'll archive it and it won't refill...blahblahblah.

Seriously, call other pharmacies. Sometimes you may have a pharmacy that has the issue because of where they are ordering from specifically and may not want to check around to see what other manufacturers might be available to save money. Always call around. If they have it, see if they take any insurance you might have or what the cost is, and transfer your scripts over there. If your pharmacy is unwilling to send the scripts or transfer them quickly because they're being a pain, contact your doctor and ask them to start sending your scripts to this new pharmacy with all the appropriate address info.

I can see what you’re saying applying to generic, but brand name is different.

I can see what you’re saying applying to generic, but brand name is different.

Medication shortages happen either way, you can still call around to different pharmacies. Some can always have more in stock than others, whether it's brand or generic. Better to call around than sit around and rely on one pharmacy if they're having problems.

The problem is if there is a short supply everywhere, the other pharmacies will save what they have for their current customers. Luckily, I’m not in a rush. I have a large supply that will last several months. So, I thought maybe I’ll give it a little time.

The problem is if there is a short supply everywhere, the other pharmacies will save what they have for their current customers. Luckily, I’m not in a rush. I have a large supply that will last several months. So, I thought maybe I’ll give it a little time.
I wasn't seeing Keppra specifically on medication short supply lists at this moment when I looked. Sometimes one pharmacy might have that one last bottle on the back shelf or something. It happens. Hope you can get what you need when you need it!

I wasn't seeing Keppra specifically on medication short supply lists at this moment when I looked. Sometimes one pharmacy might have that one last bottle on the back shelf or something. It happens. Hope you can get what you need when you need it!
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom