knowledge of home test kit?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Stacy

Your Hostess
Reaction score
Does anyone have knowledge of a home based test kit for Dilantin levels? I tried to get my levels tested today, but it's Sunday and all labs were closed. I'd rather just do it myself. I used to be an EMT.

Sorry, Stacy

Nope, sorry, I don't. Wish I did, tho. It would definitely make my life easier!:ponder: Wouldn't it be wonderful if they had them for ALL the AEDs.......oh, what a wonderful dreammmm:banana::roflmao:

Meetz

Legal? I don't know.

Lab Test Online

I do not know if this is legal or not; you will need
to check with your Doctor first. I had this page
bookmarked and had seen it posted on several
forums.

Neat link Sharon, but it's just info about the test. They aren't actually offering lab services direct to the public as far as I can see.

Our local grocery store (HEB supermarket) has a pharmacy with a testing center. Last week, they told my father that they can/do test Dilantin/phenytoin, but yesterday, they told Stacy they were switching to a new lab and they didn't think the new lab tested it. We'll get a clarification from them soon. I think the local Walgreens (and/or CVS pharmacy) may also offer some testing services.

Additional Information

Bernard:

Re-read the site: The Doctor has to order
it up for Stacy.

But certain Pharmacies DO have them;
the Big Chain Stores do - but it has to be
ordered up by the Doctor. I called the
Pharmacist I know to find out more information
and he told me that SOME Major Big Chain
Pharmacy Stores have it available. And
he gave me the SAME website as the one
I had given you below. The other option
is to talk to the Doctor, he may have
other options as well; SOME Hospitals have
this privilege available, but the Pharmacist
stated there is down side of it through those
Hospitals who have it available:

1) You have to go down and pick it up
2) You are scheduled
3) You have to return as scheduled
4) Results are sent to the Doctor and this
is the bad part of it, the Doctor doesn't always
get the results, so the Doctor's office needs
to know when the scheduled time is, so they
can contact them if they do not receive the
Lab Report by this XX period of time.

That was all the Pharmacist had to report.

Back
Top Bottom