Lamictal and Giving Birth/Breastfeeding

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am 40 weeks pregnant and have been on 200mg Lamictal throughout my pregnancy. (This was for bipolar disorder rather than epilepsy, but there is so much more info and experience on this drug in the epilepsy community, I thought it would make more sense to post here.)

I would like to know other moms experiences with giving birth while on Lamictal. Should I have been lowering my dosage over the last couple of weeks to wean my baby off of it prior to birth? Since I'm scheduled to be induced Monday its probably too late for that. Are there other moms that were in my situation, and how did you/your doctor handle it?

Also I am planning to try to breastfeed and stay on the Lamictal. Any advice from other moms on this?

I have posted on some other boards and mostly gotten general comments/links on Lamictal back. I just need to hear from moms who have walked through this specific scenario. Thanks!

Sarah

:cheers:

Welcome to our house. I usually tell people to pull up a chair and stay awhile, but for you I will get out the comfortable rocking chair. Put your feet up and relax.

Congratulations on the newcomer!!!

I will have to let our better experienced members answer your question for you, but if you need anything else, just let me know.

Grandpa Buckeye (x 2)

:ponder: Ladies, anyone have an answer for our guest?

I can't say I have any experience.
Congratulations on your little one.

Congrats on your Little Baby!

:)

:woot:

I would strongly recommend to have
a talk with your Doctor and follow their
advisories and recommendations!

I believe it is ok to question what you are doing to your unborn baby. There is still a lot that they don't know about these drugs. We have heard stories here, so I think you are doing the right thing in researching. It might be too late to do anything now prior to your birthdate, but going forward you can find a tremendous amount of information on the internet. Of course, two of those resources should be your doctor and your pharmacist, but turn over every stone so that you know you did all you could. Otherwise you will always question it.

Back
Top Bottom