Lamictal & Memory Loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

chimchase

New
Reaction score
Does anybody experience memory loss while on Lamictal or a feeling like you can't quite comprehend things as well as you should be?

I Lose things left and right and forget important things easily throughout the day.

I also feel like I'm not at my full working mind state. There seems to be a barrier, it seems anyways.

I am taking 400mg of Lamictal a day for Epilepsy.

Thanks!

Hi chimchase, welcome to CWE!

I'm on Lamictal, and haven't had any memory or cognitive issues while on it. It affects everyone differently though. My dose is lower -- 150mg per day, so I may be less at risk for some side effects as well.

You should mention your concerns to your neurologist and see what your options are -- perhaps you can lower your dose slightly, or try a different med.

Best,
Nakamova

I'm on Dilantin and have the same problems with memory.

If I'm looking for something that I have put away, then I'm looking in the dictionary, for how to spell something.

Chimchase,

I had horrible thinking problems with Topamax, Keppra, Trileptal, Gabapentin. I couldn't function. Now I'm on lamictal and I have problems with it, too. It's less of a problem than the other 4, though. I've been told it shouldn't effect my ability to thin,k but it does. I also think for me it is one cause of my inability to sleep.

These drugs mess with your mind. Some people are perfectly fine and have no side effects, but most people do have some.

If you just can't stand the side effects, you can consider changing to another drug. Sometimes it's better and sometimes it's not. IMHO no drug is perfect. It's a matter of chosing between evils (different side effects and how well each drug works to control your seizures). Lamictal side effects are not acceptable to me, but at this point I think it's as good as it will get for me. So for me, it's lamictal.

I have tried (I can't remember them all, but I do have them listed)

The ones that control my seizure, I did not a quality of life.

I was so hoping to change from dilantin this passed Oct., but my Neur. along with Pshy/Neur. said that I was so sensitive to medic. that I will have to stay on dilantin. That's OK.

I buy those books where you circle the word. and I buy the "I spy" books trying to work my mind.

Thank You everybody I appreciate the super fast feedback! I will schedule an appointment with my neurologist and get an opinion from him and post back!

Lost my cell phone twice in the last month

I'm on Lamictal now. Forget things that I planned to do 2 minutes ago!

I've got sensitivity and sores in my mouth now, along with the dry mouth.

Dr. thinks I should try a mouth gaurd...or maybe change to Keppra.

I thought medicine was more exact than this.

We all respond so diferently to each.

I know this post is old, but when I stumbled across it, I was overjoyed. That may seem weird, but I've been terrified that my memory loss was due to progressive damage to my brain from epilepsy. I take lamictal and I have all the same issues listed abov and more. ie - short term memory loss, some long term memory loss, TOTAL inability to focus, unable to remember things and processes that I've known and done for a long time, unsettling dreams.

I hope it's just from my medicine and perhaps I can switch to another.

I'm glad this post overjoyed you, ;).

I forgot to post back the findings of my doctor. He shut me down immediately, saying it
was just me when I asked if memory loss could be contributed to this drug or condition.

I then came across a show on TLC or something that showed a doctor who had cut out a piece of brain (Can't remember which piece, errr) from a patient which cured his epilepsy yet after doing so the patient had no short term memory anymore.

I then had a light bulb turn on and ask myself, "Are my meds affecting this portion of my brain?" causing a much small effect than cutting it out of course.

I haven't pushed on from there but I still feel that lamictal and possibly other drugs can cause this loss, numbness of understanding, focus and grasping concepts that others are easily doing around you.

Sorry for the continuous gibber jabber. ;)

chimchase, I take 300 mg Lamictal per day. I was just talking to my congregation today, asking for prayer for short-term memory loss. I thought I was the only one, or that STM problems were caused by epilepsy alone. I am studying for a certification exam, and I have to read things 5-6 times to comprehend. I do also forget where I have put things, and have to back track. I used to do advanced physics, calculus, and chemistry, but my ability for this has taken a hit. I also had anoxic brain damage at birth, so this may contribute to it---however, I've never had problems of the magnitude being on Lamictal.

I usually don't discuss things like this with my neuro, b/c I don't want him to think I have psychiatric over-vigilant about health problems. He doesn't know what it is like--I almost think med school should make residents take some of the meds they prescribe! You know, geez? Hang in there! :)

Me too

I have tonic clonic epilepsy and I take lamotrigine which is the same. I may have insomnia as im up at 2am writing this not feeling tired! I take 500mg a day and I feelretarded. My last 3 years of school were so hard I have such bad short term memory and bad concentration.

I thought I was just stupid because I read it was such a tiny chance of this as a side effect and all my friends do so well at everything. I'm glad I'm not alone but sorry you have to suffer the same way, I agree the doctors don't seem to understand what it's like to live with side effects of the drugs let alone the fits!

Hope you're all well and don't have any more fits and side effects aren't too bad. If anyone has better drugs to recommend that don't affect memory/concentration but are effective that would really help me out :) xxx

Back
Top Bottom