Lamictal. swelling of eyes and rashes

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone taking lamictal has ever experienced swelling of the eyes and/or a severe issue with rashes specifically around the face? I started limactal a few years ago and shortly after I started having these symptoms. At first it was believed to be allergies but even after moving, the swelling has become consistent and more have worsened.

The could be signs of a bad reaction. You should call your doctor or pharmacist right away.

In april / May 2011, my dr tried me on lamictal. I was on it for two weeks. I had a very bad reaction. My glands in my neck area swelled up so badly that I couldnt sleep, and they hurt very bad. I also had what was thought was acne around the mouth and chin area, but then after going up in dosage, they got worse, cracked open, and bleed. My neuro said I had a sinus infection and to go to my primary care dr. I did, but turned out I had no infection at all! When she heard I was on the Lamictal, she said I was having a severe reaction to it. I had to be taken off ASAP. My nuero was shocked and said it had no affect that way at all. But after being taken off of it, within days everything started to get better and go away.

I would be contacting your neuro/ primary care dr ASAP.

Thanks. I've been going through the battle of the Drs. Each of them tells me to go see the other about this. It's making me nervous that nobody is able to identify the source but after reading a series of posts, it sounds so similar.

Yeah, my neuro said straight out to me that there was no way lamictal would cause something like swelling glands or "acne"... "sores" like that. But my primary care dr looked it up and found otherwise. So, I went with what my primary care dr said, and when I contacted my neuro once walking out of the primary care drs office, he was suprised my dr would say that, but then got alittle frustrated too. Like I told him, within days it got so much better. I actually have a few little white scars on my rights side near my chin area that were caused from the sores that got so bad. I cover it up with make up. But I still hate the fact that happened.

Here is some information I found online that gives warnings about lamictal...

Specific Lamictal Warnings and Precautions

Warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to taking Lamictal include the following:

• The medication can cause life-threatening skin rashes (see Lamictal Rash). Tell your healthcare provider right away if you develop any rash while taking Lamictal.
  • Lamictal can cause life-threatening allergic reactions. These can cause organ failure and even death. Let your healthcare provider know immediately if you have any early signs of such a reaction, including:
    • Fever
    • Swollen lymph nodes (swollen "glands")
    • Swelling of the mouth or lips
    • Difficulty breathing.
Here's a link about the sores around the mouth area caused my Lamictal...

http://healthquestions.medhelp.org/lamictal-side-effects-mouth-sores

Hi SeizureOutlaw,
Last year, rash and swelling the first day. My face, chest, and arms all got a rash, and my eyes and lips swelled up, and this was on 25mg. Per doc instructions I went off right away, for three days, then back on at 12.5mg. Stayed on that dose for a few weeks then did the regular ramp-up schedule. Was okay after that but will never forget it - my eyes were so sore and puffy and I looked like hell. The doc was certain it had to be from something else b/c 25mg. for one day was so low, but I was very clear it was the only change I'd made in the past 24 hours, I KNEW it was the meds.
Just went off them a few weeks ago anyway, not working. Best of luck to you on them.

My daughter began having severe body aches with Lamictal.

IMO you should not be trading one symptom for another. Bad reactions should not be tolerated. Life should be enjoyed and the doctors are paid to help you find a better quality of life. It is not a trade off. You only get one go at this thing we call LIFE.

Expect better!

Thanks. I've been going through the battle of the Drs. Each of them tells me to go see the other about this. It's making me nervous that nobody is able to identify the source but after reading a series of posts, it sounds so similar.

Have you asked the pharmacist? Usually they will know more about a drug than the docs. It sounds like an allergic reaction to the drug, IMO. All meds effect folks differently. Like Robin said, you only get ONE chance at this thing called LIFE.

Last edited:
The could be signs of a bad reaction. You should call your doctor or pharmacist right away.

yes, call dr/pharm right away. did you read the side effects of med? I have the generic brand and have yet to take it (Lord knows I should try it) but the side affect scare me half to death. I hope you feel better

Back
Top Bottom