LED Lights

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hand of Blood

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey

I had just got these LED light strips to light up my figures, I noticed when i have them on i get very sore head and weird feeling like confusion, i feel a little like a aura.

Anyone else get this with LED lights???

thanks

LEDs are supposed to bemuch less triggering than other kinds of lights/screens, but they can still be a factor if you're photosensitive -- especially if they flash at all or if they appear in a very dark setting, or if your eyes are tired.

If you can, avoid looking at them up close or for long intervals. If you have polarized sunglasses you could try wearing them to see if that helps (though if the room is already dark, that might not be an option).

I use LED light bulbs in all of our lamps/fixtures, & haven't noticed anything like that. Could it be the shade of light coming from the bulb you're using? I only bulbs that have a daylight color light.

Hi Hand of Blood,

I agree with Nakmova you may be photosensitive. I found that certain colors would trigger seizures for me until I had surgery then all of that stopped. The next time you see your neuro ask them to do a special e.e.g. where they flash different colors one at a time and this will show if you are photosensitive. This is what I had done and the colors amber, florescent green and bright white like when the sun shines on the snow would trigger seizures for me. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

The only time I really start to get a headache from LED lights are from the ones on my firetrucks due to the reflector setup on them.
My LEGO sets that I have modified to use LED lighting for various parts don’t cause me issues – even the ones that I went overboard with, such as the RC boat I am in the process of creating and building. I’m guessing it comes down to intensity of the lights

As others have said, you may be photosensitive, but I've also known people without migraines or seizures who feel strange after being in rooms with LEDs for a long time.

However, there are different types of LEDs. Older or cheaper LEDs can be half-wave rectified which will cause them to give off a "vibration" or slight flicker that is barely perceptible or often not perceptible at all, but you know it if you feel weird after being around them.

I still try to use incandescents for the most part around the inside of my house, but I do have a few LEDs. If you get LEDs, you want FULL-WAVE rectified. These are rectified to use both the AC and DC current to light the bulb, so they are lit longer and the inherent flicker in LEDs is reduced because it is happening less often and much faster.

Sometimes it is hard to tell which brands are half-wave and which are full-wave, but with some research you should be able to find some and see if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom