LED or LCD screens (non-photosensitive epilepsy)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
I know there have been a few posts on here about it, but I'm curious about something.

Long story short, I was never diagnosed with photosensitive epilepsy. Constant flickering of fluorescent bulbs in the office do get to me sometimes, but they have never triggered a seizure.

I have an old LCD monitor at home which flickers quite a bit. so I was curious if there was a difference between LED and LCD when it comes to seizures?

I should note that I do take at least one ten minute break an hour to rest my eyes as the flickering is the thing that always seems to get me.

I would be more concerned with the refresh rate of the picture when talking about a "strobe effect".

If you're looking for a more crisp picture with higher contrast, I'd suggest the LED screen. :roflmao:

LED is what I have, but they still have a base 60hz refresh rate.

A lot of 'new' LCDs will proclaim 120Hz (by dropping every other frame, and still displaying 60).

Until the 4K screens become common place, 50 and 60Hz is gonna be the base of all moving media.

I would recommend LED over LCD anyway (colours, blacks, view angles all much better) but that doesn't mean they're any better from a medical POV. I used to have an old CRT 21" Iiyama- a gorgeous monitor for the time, but even with no photosensitivity, it could still still set me off now and then, after 10 hours in front of it looking at bright white pages with the contrast turned up- you could literally hear the buzzing from it..

Back
Top Bottom