LENS, FLEXYX, FNS - under fire?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
The following news blog offers interesting insight into the birth of a new treatment option. LENS neurotherapy is different from classic EEG neurofeedback in that there is no active participation from the patient. The system feeds back the brain's own pattern (with a very slight offset) at extremely low power and for a very short time.

EEG Info said:
The Board’s concern is whether any kind of brain stimulation constitutes the practice of medicine. The Board made this conclusion without any specific information or public hearing, and without Mary Lee being able to offer any evidence to the contrary. However, Rick and Mary Lee are going to be fighting this determination. In fact that will be the central issue in an administrative law case, if it comes to that. This charge about stimulation was met with a lot of dissent stating that the LENS/FLEXYX’s radiated power is so miniscule as to be almost undetectable, and certainly far less than that involved in a device such as the Alpha Stim. To this point Jaffe responded that the FDA cares only about the intended use. They don’t care about regular frequency-based neurofeedback devices or peripheral neurofeedback devices, all of which involve the display of biological information for the volitional control by the client- so most of us are safe with these. The FDA does not care what the individual providers do as they only regulate devices and drugs and the manufacturers that build them and sell them.

A Report from the ISNR Meeting on the LENS Attack

There is a follow up to the LENS story here:
EEG Info said:
Following up on the previous newsletter post by Deborah Stokes, let me add my thoughts on some of the issues. For a long time I believed that there was a natural division within the field between standard neurofeedback training and stimulation. It was to be expected that the field of medicine would balk at relinquishing control over any kind of overt stimulation technique. However, this thinking was provoked more by the awareness that such techniques as repetitive trans-cranial stimulation and deep brain stimulation were being actively researched within the medical community. This research basis made these techniques the natural domain of medicine. Is the low-level stimulation involved in the LENS really another matter entirely? I believe that it is, for two principal reasons and from two different perspectives. ...

The Attack on the LENS

And they have REMOVED The LENS books OFF the BOOKSTORES!

I was at the Bookstore yesterday! Was looking for
a book a Neurologist recommended and since Lens
is a popular book, I saw that "empty space", and
when I inquired about it, they stated that they've
been ordered it removed. But I didn't find the book
that a Neurologist recommended (it's an OOP - Out
of Print) and I've already been looking online for it,
including Abesbook.com

Fortunately I was lucky to have it. (LENS BOOK)

Is this book going to be a "blackmarket" book
soon ...

:?:

It does work and I had and have been reading it
when I've got the time and it's got some really
valid points. And now they've removed it OUT OF
WIKI!!

(Go Look in Wiki - POOF-O-MATIC)

Unless someone put it back up there, it's going
to be removed again.

===============================

I am beginning to question this now:

Exactly what is it that they have against
"Natural Healing" and "Alternative Methods"?

1) It does work - people have benefited from
it

2) It's often CHEAPER than expensive Medical
Care and all those Medications and those
unneeded long term Medical Care (BUT I must
stress it is not for everyone however)

3) Are they feeling the Competition Heat?

What book are you talking about Sharon? I fully expect the LENS system to be studied and validated as an effective treatment option for many neurological disorders. It is still very new technology.

This one has been removed:

The Healing Power of Neurofeedback: The Revolutionary LENS Technique for Restoring Optimal Brain Function - Informative and easy to read, this book gives you insight into the world of classical EEG neurofeedback and Ochs' LENS system.

It's still for sale at amazon.com. Perhaps the place you were checking sold out or just removed it to give shelf space to something else.

Back
Top Bottom