" like "

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CathyAnn31

Big Smile
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how often people say the word "like"? Sometimes even several "likes" per sentence?

I was like, how could he do such a thing? He was like, it's really none of my business.
As an example..lol.

Count how many times you hear someone say "like" in a sentence, it's really starting to like become silly. Like, can't you control your word usage? :D

Just heard my teenager talking with his friend, I realized how common it was and have caught me saying it before..lol.

How about you? Like how often do you say the word "like"?

Not just teens. Maybe it's a Texas thing. It's silly that I'm noticing it more, we've been home bound too long. :D

Texas if fun to listen to, I like accents, actually pay attention to how people talk, there are about 200 accents here, I would love to get to just study something like, because I've TV and the world is getting smaller and schools are getting larger we are losing a lot of accents

It's like the word like, is the best word, like to describe things. Like for example, like this movie I was like watching the other day fits in. I forget the name, but it was kinda like an action movie, but also like a comedy for kids. Like it had plenty of car chases and explosions. But there was also like a lot humor for the kids to enjoy. You know what I mean, like it wasn't dirty comedy. It was more like slapstick meets like keystone cops. Do you all know like what I mean? Like kinda fits, like in the context of the like conversation. :giggle:

I was thinking it was a teen thing aswell.
I haven’t noticed like being used but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t, it just means the people I talk to don’t use it lol. I don’t talk to many teens either, more people wanting cabinetry work done eg kitchens, bathrooms, walk in robes

I notice when people talk on tv the word um is said a lot, not really by the politicians just general people who probably aren’t used to giving speeches. I know if I have to talk out of my comfort zone I say um a lot.

I notice when people talk on tv the word um is said a lot, not really by the politicians just general people who probably aren’t used to giving speeches. I know if I have to talk out of my comfort zone I say um a lot.

Watch Judge Judy, and you will see like a lot of people using "um" to answer her. "Um is not an answer". :giggle:

Bigman I used to love watching judge Judy.
I just get time to watch it now, I’m only home 2 days and when I’m home I never bother putting the tv on until the evening

Has anyone noticed how often people say the word "like"? Sometimes even several "likes" per sentence?
This got me thinking I know we all have our little thing but where I work there is a mixture of old and young workers.
Most of them have their little ‘thing’, usually it’s where they say something lol 😆
My boss when he talks usually to clients go ‘as an example’
One of the apprentices at work often says ‘true, true’
There’s something else one of the young apprentices says but I can’t think of it
The bookkeeper lovely lady but when you talk to her no matter what you say she just gos ‘yep, yep, yep’. Little bit annoying as you know she’s not listening to you.
The girl who jobshares with me just tries to finish of your sentence or repeats what you say. So you could be talking to her and she’ll finish the sentence off or just repeat what you said 🤦🏼‍♀️.

I know I do or say something annoying just not sure what 🤣

Like totally.

Possibly the most iconic marker of the ‘valley girl’ stereotype is generously using ‘like’ in sentences: “So I was like, totally buggin’” (Clueless, 1995) As exemplified by Cher, in the classic movie Clueless, the word ‘like’ is commonly used to introduce the main point or a change in direction of a sentence. Another use of the interjection is to give the speaker time to formulate what to say next. Interjections for this purpose are not uncommon, such as ‘um’ or ‘so’, but as ‘like’ is associated directly with ‘valley girls’, it becomes a sign of lack of intelligence. Because the ‘valley girl’ speech includes phonological habits and specific grammar characteristics, the stereotypical speech pattern should be classified as a dialect.

The stereotype of a ‘valley girl’ is unfair as the linguistic trends ‘valley girls’ are judged for, are not exclusively used by young, white, women. As shown by a study conducted in California by Amanda Ritchart, both men and women use uptalk, however, women use it about twice as often, and are the only ones regularly ridiculed for it. Movies and television consistently uses the ‘valley girl’ trope to assign ditzy qualities to female characters. The widespread usage in the media perpetuates the image of young women using these linguistic traits as vacuous and shallow. Ideally, as the use of ‘valley girl’ linguistic patterns spreads beyond women in California, the mocking will subside as the speech pattern provides nuance to the conversation.

^ Authored in 2015. Prognostication at the end didn't quite hit the mark IMO.

I offered my godson $10.00 if he could have a ten-minute conversation without using "like". Couldn't do it. (In fact I don't think he made it past 1-minute).

When I was in high school the verbal "filler" was "you know"...

"What did you say?" "Who me?" "I didn't do it" ( This is what I hear day after day especially at school
with the students) another good one I hear is "You never told me to do that.

Wishing you only the best and May God Bless All of You!
Sue

I was just watching the news and there was a story about a shark attack, they interviewed a guy who I assume was a witness and he kept saying ‘like’. I wouldn’t have noticed if it wasn’t for this post 🤣

See! You'll start noticing it more now! Nak knows what I'm getting at too, glad I'm not the only one who notices it. But unfortunately I do utter it sometimes but I am aware after the fact.

Watch, y'all will notice it more..:LOL: or start saying it, like you can't help it.

Lololololol.

The kids went back to school this week after home schooling since end of March but now the virus is under control the kids are aloud back to school but with restrictions.

This morning there were some school kids i on the bus I get to go to work, normally I notice them swearing at each other but today I noticed them saying like in every sentence . ‘It’s like bla bla bla (swearing) like bla bla (more swearing)’ 🙄

Another relatively new verbal habit is saying “no problem” instead of “you’re welcome”. I know that at this point it's just a reflex to say it, but it still drives me a little nuts -- because it implies that I am potentially a problem-causer as opposed to someone who is simply being polite.

;) shh, I do it too. It's no problem to do some things. IE: Holding the door for someone.
For bigger situations, "you're welcome" may be more fitting. IE: Carrying heavy bags up 2-3 flights of stairs

Back
Top Bottom