" like "

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

;) shh, I do it too. It's no problem to do some things. IE: Holding the door for someone.
For bigger situations, "you're welcome" may be more fitting. IE: Carrying heavy bags up 2-3 flights of stairs
Bigman same here but it depends on the situation.
I tend to say no problem more at work when I do something for my co worker.
But if I email or give something to a client or supplier at work and they thank me I will reply with you’re welcome

'Too easy' is another word the young boys at work who are in their late teens / early 20s use

My good friend (fellow Texan) who's 50 has started saying "it's such a racket". I've never heard racket used that way- i know racket as being a lot of noise or something you hit a tennis ball with. :D I call the same thing a shit-show. <--- I guess that's a little trendy too. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
It's still happening..and getting worse! Is it just me? Help, I don't like like! :LOL:

I don't constantly say "like", nor do my kids. I have often noticed people saying "No problem" instead of thank you or you're welcome.

I admit guilt of a previously mentioned phrase, "you know." My dad pointed it out and I didn't, you know, realize how many times, you know, that I was saying it. Thankfully I became aware of it and rarely say it.

They're all filler words. Your thoughts are going 100 mph and your mouth can't keep up. Then you have to take a split second to gather your thoughts and instead of crashing into a wall of silence, you say some of these words. I have since told my mind to give my mouth a fighting chance and have gotten better by slowing down my thoughts.

The one that is driving me CRAZY(er) right now is my mom's repetitive word: THING!

Hey, could you get that thing? What thing?? You know, the thing with the thing. 😱😱😱

My head just about exploded typing that. Bad memories lol.

I'm trying to think of ways to combat it. Maybe get just as nonspecific as she does. Hey mom, could you go get the thing over there? You know, the thing with the thing. You know what I’m talking about! It's over there on the counter! (meanwhile the counter has 20 "things" on it). Ha! Maybe that's my solution! Any and all other suggestions will be considered.

This is funny but I was actually thinking about this a while ago. I think it's an impossible for some people to do!

As Army Vet said another thing is "You know what I mean". Well what if I don't? Listen to that one. You probably don't even realize you're saying it too!

People have no problem typing something without using "Like" or "You know what I mean" but they just can't say it!

Last edited:
"like" and "you know" are very common around here, far from Texas (Northeast USA).

My HS English teacher had us give presentations and stopped a kid. She told him "each time you say "you know" I will take off 10 points from your final grade. He couldn't stop, especially when put on the spot like (like!) that.

Everybody could use a breather, the only way I can speak without saying like or you know or so or and is to speak slower.

"like" and "you know" are very common around here, far from Texas (Northeast USA).

My HS English teacher had us give presentations and stopped a kid. She told him "each time you say "you know" I will take off 10 points from your final grade. He couldn't stop, especially when put on the spot like (like!) that.

Everybody could use a breather, the only way I can speak without saying like or you know or so or and is to speak slower.

* No problem = "no need to thank me, it was my pleasure"

That was exactly what my college professor for speech did (maybe not as harsh). Her big "no-no" words were, uh, er, um. SLOW DOWN!! Of course just reading off of note cards wasn't going to cut it. Making eye contact was a must (lose a letter grade if you didn't). That was one thing she gave me excellent props for. It helped a lot since I made eye contact with her specifically 😂😂 I wrote my main talking points on an index card in the order I wanted to present them in about 4-5 words. Half the time I didn't need them after the 2nd point because I had broken the ice. More of a security blanket. My main flaw was getting off track (making too many comparisons). The required time was 5 minutes, but no more than 8 for one speech. I think I went 90 seconds over 😳😂 Whoops! Better wrap it up. Ten or more for the final I think.

I got a B+ for the class. Being deployed also helped me put things in perspective (ie I just got back from putting my life on the line; you're about to speak to a bunch of 18-19 year olds who have probably never left the state nor their parents' house; oh and BTW you're never going to see them again except maybe in another class) 😂😂

I remember being told by an English teacher that the most overly used word in American English was "get" and its other forms. We could not use it in papers or speeches. It is very difficult not to speak it for even one day and use more the descriptive words.

Watching Dr. Oz yesterday made me think about this thread, and what Judge Judy would say.

On the show he was talking with Alyssa Milano about Covid.
Don't get me wrong, she's a "decent" actress, easy on the eyes. But she can't speak ing-ish, unless it's typed up in a script she can read from. :rolleyes:

Alyssa Milano: Um, Um, Um....

Like, um, maybe, like, that's, um, like, she, like, can't, like, get more, like, acting, like, jobs. Like, you think? :rolleyes:

Let's just say, Judge Judy would've ripped her apart.

Judge Judy: Um is not an answer!

Judge Judy: Basically, Like, etc..

She's stopping doing her Judge Judy show (it will go into reruns). But she's going to do a NEW show called 'Justice Judy”. See https://www.iheart.com/content/2020...g-after-25-seasons-but-shes-not-retiring-yet/
I don’t know how far behind with Judge Judy we are but it’s on over here at 3pm weekdays

I’m only home 2 days a week and usually don’t turn the tv on until 5pm to watch jeopardy then another Aussie quiz show (more for background noise). I’ve only just started watching jeopardy this year and I think we’re a couple of years behind. The old host who passed away is still hosting it.

i usually remind people, if they start a sentence with the word "honestly" it means they are lying. but my girlfriend says "you get me" way to much for me,
and when a sentence starts "what had happened was". it is a lie

There was a dude on the news that said the word “like” 3 times in one sentence. I was like, seriously dude? :rolleyes::LOL:

What’s really funny is seeing it in the closed captioning on Instagram.

are y’all noticing it more and more?

Back
Top Bottom