" like "

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Like, you know, he goes You know? and then she goes yeah, and then like whoa! You know what I mean?

Anyone else remember "Designing Women", the television show from the late '70s? I stole a joke from the show that Jean Smart told, can NOT resist telling it whenever the topic of Proper English comes up...

A sweet Southern Belle was hosting a tea party for a Yankee (sorry, everyone above the Mason-Dixie) and her Family. Trying to begin a chat with one of the ladies, the Belle asked her "So. Where y'all from?" The Yankee responded snobbishly, "We come from a place where we don't end our sentences with prepositions." The Belle didn't blink an eye as she said to her, "Oh. Well, in that case... where y'all from, bitch?" LOL

Anyway, I agree with EVERYTHING I read in this thread. The version of the King's English that WE were taught has... let's just say, devolved considerably and in such a short time, it's positively alarming. If we went back in time, say just 220 years, I was taught that we'd not be able to understand hardly a darned thing that people were saying, and IN OUR OWN COUNTRIES.
It's interesting and kind of mournful at the same time, were my opinion asked.

Minor correction: My wife and I were discussing Designing Women and so I looked it up to see about a Cast member. That show ran from the 80's into the NINETIES! I was LONG into College by then, but my memory tells me that I was in High School. Bizarre and back-stabbing brain! Hate! Hate! Hate!
Anyway just wanted to clear that up. And again, I apologize to all of you good-looking Northern people, especially those who were offended.

I've heard a variation on that joke: A visitor to Harvard stops a student and asks: "Where's the Harvard law school at?" The student replies, "Here at Harvard we don't end sentences with prepositions." The visitor responds "Got it -- Where's the law school at, asshole?"

After reading this thread has anyone noticed how often "like" gets used? I say it every so often and after I do, I realize it..lol

listening to him talk is always interesting, because several comedians they have flawless english, but you have to be when you are on stage, but some of the personalities, it can be depressing

For US, it was "man".
"Hey man, how you doing?" "Aw hey man, my old lady left me and took the dog, man." "Oh, man!!! That's just not right, man!" "I know, man!" "Man. Can't replace that dog, either, man, that is a good dog, man." On and on.

the real biggest thing that bothers me, is the homogenization of the human language. we really are all starting to sound alike. a big chunk of this is caused by people wanting to blend in with what they deem is acceptable in modern society. but the biggest factors are the internet and television. they have made the world a much smaller place. i always have to wonder if people are joking when they refer to the fifth horseman of the apocalypse as "social media"

the real biggest thing that bothers me, is the homogenization of the human language. we really are all starting to sound alike. a big chunk of this is caused by people wanting to blend in with what they deem is acceptable in modern society. but the biggest factors are the internet and television. they have made the world a much smaller place. i always have to wonder if people are joking when they refer to the fifth horseman of the apocalypse as "social media"
I'm not on any social media, unless you count this forum. What I hate about these modern times, is the adding of "ness" to everything. "quietness" rather than silence, "jewishness" rather than judaism, "wellness" instead of "health", it grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard. Even as a late deafened man, just reading such garbage makes me flinch and wonder how many of these people actually made it through school. Also makes me grateful that at least I don't have to LISTEN to it any longer. I tell you with authority: SILENCE IS GOLDEN.

EDIT: I just found another one, reading a NEWS ARTICLE.... "greenness" instead of "greenery". My GOD these people make me SICK!

Last edited:
My Wife told me yesterday, that "Well-Being" is what I should have said, that has been replaced with "Wellness". Health and Well-Being were what she and I had been seeing all of our lives, and now so late in life we see Health and WELLNESS. UGH!!

I agree about the adding of "ness" to everything--it is really annoying. Sometimes I wonder what's going on in schools--don't they teach kids grammar any more?

Oh no it's getting WORSE

Like a lot worse :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, will it ever stop??

Back
Top Bottom