Loss of interest/mood swings

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey guys! I already know that some of the drawbacks of E are loss of interest and mood swings.

I'm a musician, and composing is what I enjoy most in life. It's my only way to escape the real world!!!! I've been doing it for the past 10 years, and have enjoyed every minute of it!

The past two or three weeks have been a living he*# for me though. Every time I sit at the piano, I end up slamming the keys, every time I pick up the guitar, I just want to pull a Jimi Hendrix and light it on fire. I storm out of my studio, begin to cry, and say things that should never be said to a living soul. Even listening to albums that always calm me down just makes me frustrated!

The odd thing about it is that when I started to lose interest and began to get mood swings, I started having types of seizures I've never had before.

Is there anyone who has had similar feelings, but have found a way to get over this hump? I haven't written in what seems to be ages and have so many ideas in my head, but it could become quite costly, both physically and emotionally. I just feel deflated and defeated.

Are you on any meds now? If yes, they may be causing the mood issues, and you should talk to your doc about making a switch.

If no, then you should talk to your doc about finding a med that can help control the seizures.

I've been on 600 MG of Lamictal for about 15 years, and my new neurologist just put me on 1500 MG of Keppra last week. The Lamictal has been working like a charm for the most part, and the Keppra has just made me drowsy. My lack of interest and mood swings began about a week or so before the addition of Keppra.

Before my neurologist adds or subtracts any more medication, he wants to see the results of my ambulatory EEG. He did mention he may want me to try Zarontin, since petit mals are my biggest obstacle right now. My old neurologist tried Dilantin, but to no avail.

Although it is a LITTLE off topic from the post, should any/all options be discussed at my next appointment after the EEG results come back?

Last edited:
If you were having mood swings before the Keppra, adding it to the mix might have made things worse, given its reputation for causing moodiness and Kepprage.

keppra can be a nightmare drug, I started shouting at everyone for no reason and take awful tempers!!

Wow! After doing more research on Keppra, it looks like a lot of people have the same issues. Sounds like I'm going to have to call my doctor and this taken care of.

Thanks for the input, everyone! :)

Back
Top Bottom