MAD Update

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

chop456

New
Reaction score
I have been contemplating posting an update regarding my daughter's journey with MAD for fear of jinxing ourselves ... but I need to trust in what ever happens.....

So here is our update:
MAD started - June 24, 2013
We started Paige on 15 net carbs. She is a vegetarian and a cross country/track athlete. Since we started the diet she has had singular days with a morning myoclonic. And when I say "A morning" with a myoclonic it really in ONE arm jerk!

June 29 - 1 jerk
July 24(ish) - 1 jerk
August - 0
September - 0
October -28 1 jerk

Each time she has had a "jerk" it has been aligned with her monthly cycle. August and September ... training season in high gear and with that comes absent cycles for the highly athletic girls. The only strange "jerk" was October - her jerk was at 5pm. Paige has NEVER had an early evening episode until then.

Paige is now between 30-35 carbs. She has learned to read everything and has not cheated at all! We have creative meals in our home and have found many great recipes. I thought being a vegetarian and following MAD would not work and that is the farthest from the truth. It has been relatively easy! When we started this journey, she told me she would give me 3 months on the diet. She now says 7 months. I just need to get her to agree to 12-18 months!

I cannot sing enough praises about this diet for Paige. While I know diet therapy may not be for everyone (and meds are non-negotiable for Paige), we have seen a turn for the better. When people at school ask about her crazy food she just tells them she is on a diet for her brain!

My husband and I have joined Paige and are following the Atkins portion of the diet (the bonus - I have lost 28 pounds and my husband has most 30!).

Thanks for reading!

Hi Chop 456, Congrats on that success! I am inspired to try that diet now. Thank you for sharing the news. I have wanted to try the diet but been too lazy. You are an inspiration to us all. i hope you can keep in touch with us about how its going.

Weight loss is really very difficult task and after losing, maintain is more difficult task. To be honest I was also a fat persons and I reduced over 12 kgs of my weight by doing workout, swimming and cycling. Losing weight is like my dream come too and proud of myself.

I'm glad t0 hear everything is going well with your daughter and that you and your husband have improoved your health in the process. :)

Weight loss is really very difficult task and after losing, maintain is more difficult task. To be honest I was also a fat persons and I reduced over 12 kgs of my weight by doing workout, swimming and cycling. Losing weight is like my dream come too and proud of myself.

Yes, maintaining is as hard as losing it. I have belonged to a gym sine 2001 but due to so many heath problems I gave up my membership about 6 months ago. A new gym opened up right near where I live so I joined 3 days ago. I've got a way to go before I get back to the fitness level I was at before I quit but I will get there.

Keith, sorry, I forgot to say welcome to the forum. I hope you find a lot of useful info here.

MAB, Congrats on having a new gym near you. I hope it works out for you. I wanted to say that, for me, getting out there and doing something aerobic like fast walking every day has become habit forming. I posted before that for me now it is biking. and biking longer distances has made me feel so much better that i would not do without it. Look forward to it every day.

MAB, Congrats on having a new gym near you. I hope it works out for you. I wanted to say that, for me, getting out there and doing something aerobic like fast walking every day has become habit forming. I posted before that for me now it is biking. and biking longer distances has made me feel so much better that i would not do without it. Look forward to it every day.

Janus. exercise always makes me feel better, helps a lot with depression too. The gym also has hydro-massage tables which are very nice. Kind of an extra incentive to go.

Back
Top Bottom