Magnesium

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Glad to hear that you are seeing positive results from your use of the mineral. I do hope to hear in the future that you will be able to reduce your Dilantin dose even more.

I personally haven't haven't had mosquitoes more attracted to me recently. They have always found me sweet. I wonder if bathing in Epsom Salts would eliminate that. Am thinking that outside - in might be a remedy. Not sure and it is only a thought.

I just recently started taking magnesium but, I have not noticed any real significance as far as feeling better. I just recently was diagnosed as being hypoglecimic. My electrolytes are kind of messed up. My sodium and my sugar are out of range so I need to find a vitamin that will control this. If I can find a vitamin with everything that I need that would be great. So, far I am focusing on magnesium and vitamin K and melatonin. I will let every one know if there is any signifant changes.

Instead of beginning with a vitamin, why not begin with nutritional changes. The Low Glycemic diet is one that is known to help in this. It also is working for many with seizure disorders.

I have EmergenC on hand for electrolyte imbalances. My daughter is a competitive figure skater and needs added liquids. I find this is a good source without additional additives that are unhealthy.

It might take a while for your body to respond to this new additional mineral support. Also it might matter as to the health of your intestinal tract as to whether or not is is being absorbed properly.

Deprivation of magnesium in the diet of rats rapidly induced a net loss of magnesium from the central nervous system. During progressive magnesium deficiency, a low magnesium concentration in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) indicated that magnesium also was decreased in the brain. After parenteral administration of magnesium, CSF and skeletal muscle magnesium promptly returned to normal, but the correction of cellular deficits in the brain required several hours. Complete restoration of magnesium losses occurred within two hours in cerebral cortex and cerebellum and within four to six hours in the diencephalon-midbrain and pons-medulla. The most important factor in the difference between predominantly gray and predominantly white matter was that the loss of magnesium was greater from predominantly white matter.

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/conten...NDEX=50&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT

You've all convinced me that I should be taking magnesium. But......... the problem is it gives me abdominal cramps and I just can't handle it on a regular basis. Any words of wisdom? I'd love to find a form I can take and am open to suggestions.

What variety have you tried?

Have you ever tried the ionic variety? It is placed under the tongue. It does not have to be processed in the intestinal tract, so it does not sit and cause "problems".

Robin, I think that I have tried magnesium citrate which is taken orally and does not do my gut any good! Where do you buy the ionic variety and how much do you take? Thanks for the help!.................... Roxie

Magnesium citrate is a laxative. Some people can tolerate it in lower doses, but others can't.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread1138.html
a great resource about magnesium.

I use a product that I get from this website:
Ionic Magnesium
I have found a cheaper variety at Whole Foods market, but it wasn't as palatable. Yet I have read that you can bake or cook with it since it is a mineral.

Last edited:
Thanks Robin. That would explain the cramping with the magnesium citrate, wouldn't it?!!!!!!!! I'll check out the link and try the ionic. Thanks for the help and information..

Roxie

Forgot to ask earlier, Robin, is there a certain amount one should shoot for or are there suggestions that come with the product? I was unable to find information on amount in the neurotalk link but maybe I missed it since there was a lot there. Thanks again!

Roxie

What I have read is that the 400 RDA is the minimum for many people. Most need double that amount. But I would start with 200 mg and move up from there, slowly just like you would with any med, and see if there are any side effects.

Rebecca takes any where from 800mg - 1000mg of chelated magnesium, and she is about 120lbs.
For each person it will be different. I take 400-800mg of ionic magnesium

I have been doing some research, and have found some articles which state that 1/2 tsp. of epsom salts taken in the morning can decrease the number of seizures. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I bath in a cup of epsom salts quite often. It feels great on the muscles. However, I personally have never even considered taking it orally.

You would get much more magnesium by taking ionic magesium or chelated version.

If you google epsom salts epilepsy, there is a study that comes up that had phenomenal results. The man I'm seeing has epilepsy, and I thought I would mention it to him if he hasn't heard of it already. Is there anyone willing to read about that study and tell me what you think?:twocents:

Thanks for all the info Robin.

I have had 3 x I was sent to the ER with non-epilepsy related multiple grandmals/coma - 2x it was due to low sodium, 1x low magnesium.

My neuro said Triliptal lowered sodium and took me off of it, but my CP's worsened so she put me back on it and told me we would have to check levels often and to use salt on my foods. As for the magnesium she said take a supplement.

I also take lasix - so it could be the culprit???

What's with beets???

What foods are high in magnesium?? My mom says oatmeal, but on the package of oatmeal magnesium is not even on it.

With all the meds I take it's a wonder I still have kidneys and a liver!!

Magnesium Citrate is used prior to certain tests to umm "clean you out", sorry. (embarressed)

How can a person w/almost no money get magnesium into their system?

Thanks again, Robin.

chelated

I find that I can take high doses of chelated magnesium and do way better than I was before finding this site.
Epsom Salt when taken internally can be a quick fix... for constipation.

Magnesium Sulphate -

What you are getting is a chemical compound. It is most likely that the sulphate is what is drawing out the toxins.

Studies show these benefits from the major components of Epsom Salt may:

Magnesium:

* Ease stress and improves sleep and concentration
* Help muscles and nerves function properly
* Regulate activity of 325+ enzymes
* Help prevent artery hardening and blood clots
* Make insulin more effective
* Reduce inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps
* Improve oxygen use
* Help prevent or ease migraine headaches

Sulfates:

* Flush toxins
* Improve absorption of nutrients
* Help form joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins
I've never seen such studies on any medical or science sites but there are some things re. magnesium sulfate to be careful of.

PRECAUTIONS: Before using this drug, tell your doctor your medical history, including: allergies (especially drug allergies), kidney or heart disease, low blood calcium, myasthenia gravis. Avoid alcohol intake, since the possible drowsiness effect of this medication may be increased. Caution when performing tasks requiring mental alertness. While magnesium use is safe during pregnancy, continuous IV use near the time of delivery may result in newborn adverse effects. Do not use magnesium during the final two hours before delivery. This drug is excreted into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

DRUG INTERACTIONS: Tell your doctor of all nonprescription or prescription medication you use, especially of: nerve blocking medicines (e.g., pancuronium). Medications that can increase the drowsiness effect of this drug include: sedatives, tranquilizers, drugs for sleep, narcotic pain relievers, psychiatric medications (e.g., chlorpromazine), certain antidepressants (e.g., amitriptyline), certain antihistamines, muscle relaxants, anti-seizure medications. Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.

OVERDOSE: If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call the US national poison hotline at 1-800-222-1222. Canadian residents should call their local poison control center directly. Symptoms of overdose may include nausea, vomiting, slow heartbeat, flushing, decreased alertness, confusion, muscle weakness, and loss of consciousness.

magnesium sulfate-injection

Back
Top Bottom