Mail order pharmacies

Would you consider using (or do you currently use) a mail order pharmacy?

• I use a mail order pharmacy currently

Votes: 40 37.4%
  • I would consider using a mail order pharmacy

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • No - prefer to pay cash locally

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • No - other concern (please post reasoning / concerns in thread)

Votes: 28 26.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My husband is still working as a teacher so we still have medical insurance. I have not had to try e-mail yet. I have such a terrible memory I don't remember it has ever happened with my pharmacy

My current plan is covered through Express Scripts which also just merged with Medco. I am on Lamictal XR, Keppra XR, Topamax and due to costs being forced to the generic versions of the drugs. I don't mind using them, but my Dr. is not convinced that they are as effective as brand drugs. All are dispensed in 90 day supplies and sent directly to my home which is very convenient, but I can't understand the disparity between generic and brand name prices, so I'll give you an example. My co-pay for a 90 day supply of Keppra XR is $689 and $20 for the generic and don't understand how this is possible. If I was on public assistance, I would get the brand name for no cost. Why? I wonder what will happen under the possible new upcoming health care plans?

I've been receiving my meds thru the mail from Medco. I was due a refill so when the package arrived I opened it without looking at the addressee.

The package contained a 3 month supply of lorazapam. I checked the label and found that the meds belonged to to a guy 6 houses down from me.

I can't afford to have my meds lost in the mail so i'm transferring my prescriptions back to CVS.

Last edited:
I also voted NO for other reasons.

I would not consider getting drugs by mail unless of course forced to by insurance which I don't think they should be allowed to do.

1. I'd be concerned they would be stolen. I know people that do this and their drugs are left on the porch for anyone to take.
  2. I also want to make sure what I get so if it is the wrong thing I can change it then & there.
  3. The savings are insignificate on my plan.
  4. During the time my friend used mail order they always sent generic (from different manufacturer) even though his insurance paid for brand. If you go the a local pharmacy you can have that corrected then & there.

All of the above. And I know my grandmother has had a few issues with her mail order pharmacy (not sure which one) that was mandatory by insurance.
*edit* another reason I'm not interested in mail order is that my prescriptions change way too often. It would be a hassle for me to order more than one month at a time just to have the dose change and run out or have bottles of drugs that I would never take again.

Last edited:
I stopped using mail order after I recieved my neighbor's Lorazepam . I opened the package thinking it was mine. It belonged to the guy 5 houses down from from me.

I am suppose to go on a pain med drug called Opana for the arthritis in my legs. If the price was a lot cheaper, but same medication, I would go through the mail. My insurance does not cover it (doctor is trying to get it covered).
Everything else I am on is covered and I pay $1.10 at CVS. I would love to start my pain medication, but I can not afford the $600+ (on a dose lower than the doctor recommended me to be on).

I'm in Australia and its entirely different here. I use online pharmacies if I can't find what I'm after at my local pharmacy (usually a particular strength/combination of vitamins I've decided to give a go) or sometimes because online pharmacies are cheaper. But then you have to factor in postage. Foreign online pharmacies ate of no use to me though sorry.

Johnbear -
Dealing eith same issue on Keppra XR. I tried at my insistence generix Tegretol - auras were unreal and a few breakthrough seizures. i pay $77 per month for current brand tegretol. New to Keprra - paid $173 for old dose, which has double so will be $340 ish for one month if I stay on it. I am currently not controlled, not working and federal employee so NO disability. Friends r trying to get leave donated and I am so embarrassed but thankful another friend started an account friends can donate to help with meds. I am looking at a hospital stay to get this under control. We'll see what happens

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have the option of using a mail order pharmacy through my work plan (which I am sure they would prefer) or going to my local pharmacy. I choose to go to my local pharmacy so there are no screw ups. Plus this way I have some control over the situation since I am on generic instead of brand for my drugs and I am particular about them hey if it aint broke why fix it I say.... I would prefer to be on brand name instead but doc did not see the need to write it for brand only.

Tina

Having heard my sister's nightmare stories about dealing with mail order pharmacies I refuse to go that route. I take Dilantin and prefer brand name yet one of the local pharmacists gave me generic which I was able to return immediately - I shudder to think what I'd have to go through if I were dealing with an insurance company.

One of the good things about Dilantin is the price - I can easily pay out of pocket. From what I'm reading about the price of other drugs, this would not be an option.
Another reason for me not to switch medications.

I used to use a mail-order pharmacy service and I loved it...until I forgot to call in my order on time. It was a nightmare getting an "over-ride" prescription through my health care plan. I will probably go back, though, as it is so much easier than having to call and then go to Walgreen's every thirty days. I love the people who work at the pharmacy there, but when they know your address better than you do, it might be time to move on.

I won't do it because I've seen a documentary on how many mail order and in person pharmacies are deliberately giving customers either fake and / or inferior medications.

I go to the one pharmacy that I trust, and that's it. I'm lucky because here in Aus. I have what they call a health care card which gets me most prescriptions at $5.80 each. If I had to pay full price for meds, I may be thinking differently.

As far as meds...I take Keppra and Carbatrol, ans sumatriptan, it would cost over $1000.00 a month for me. I just lost my insurance and everything has to be out of pocket for me too. So what I'm getting at... try rxoutreach.com for mail in prescriptions or the PS card for savings at places like target or walmart!

I selected, "I'd try it." I don't know much about it but if our insurance approved it, it would be fine for me. It's a hassle for me to get a ride to walgrens as it is and costs me at least $10 for each ride/trip. My prescriptions renew at different times so atm its 2 trips a month.

This is one of the revolution in online pharmacy and health care society. As mail order base pharmacy are very much benefits and cost effective less time consuming and on time services and delivery products across the globe. This has been approved pharmacy management. choosedrugs.com is an organization provide such services for value of customer.

So a little update pertaining to this.

I am getting my meds through the VA now. They ship them via mail. I realize this is different than mail order but they are coming in the mail which saves me a ton of money in meds and transportation. All 3 meds came at the same time this week. I checked the med info and they got it right.

Thus far I am pleased. :woot:

I just got a supplemental plan from AARP since I am now on Medicare and get some through there at excellent prices for generic 90 day supplies which are costing me $7.00 with free shipping. I'm hoping much of this stops soon since I'm scheduled for rt. temporal lobe surgery on 10-15 at Cleveland Clinic.

WOw, temporal Lobe surgery? that is big. I hope you can keep us posted to how you are. Thanks, Douglas

Back
Top Bottom